Thé sur le Nil

Fruit Green Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From Mariage Frères

A whiff of adventure: this blend will take you to the ends of the world, where the thoughts of enchanted voyagers dwell.

Citrus fruit from forgotten lands and refined spices wonderfully scent this fine green tea.

A flight of fancy – a timeless tea.

About Mariage Frères View company

I enjoyed a takeaway cup of this while on my honeymoon. We had just left the Louvre and were walking through an underground passageway filled with shops when I spotted a Mariage Frères store! I immediately went inside and bought some Sablés au Thé in Marco Polo flavoring and a cup of this tea. :) I didn’t take notes while I drank it, but I remember it being a lovely green tea with delicious yet natural flavoring.

I wanted to buy more tea, but food and drink abroad was significantly more expensive than we had anticipated or planned for. The shop itself was fun and different. It was super high-brow. The men who helped me pick a tea were separate from the cashiers, who sat in a little windowed area near the door like a box office at the theatre. And they even served my to-go cup of tea on a platter! Hahaha, it was quite the experience.

Ahh, it’s so nice to be home drinking tea again. France was full of tiny, overpriced shots of espresso. I did try (and buy) some tea while there, but I found that I really relied on multiple espresso shots to get through the day. It was A LOT of walking! We climbed just about everything there is to climb: the Eiffel Tower (we climbed down, not up), the Basilica of Sacré Cœur, the Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, the Catacombs, and St. Paul’s Cathedral (in London).

It was a fantastic trip, but we are happy to be home again. We definitely live in the best country by far. Go America!! We left the day after the government shutdown started and returned home the night they passed the budget to re-open it. Since I’m a federal employee, I got paid for my time out and didn’t have to use any of my leave! How’s that for timing? I’m still upset the shutdown happened, but there’s a silver lining to everything.

Bonnie

Much love and happiness to you! Not a bad silver lining!

Josie Jade

Sounds like a wonderful honeymoon, and with perfect timing! Congrats on being a newlywed! :)

teataku

Congrats to you! Sounds like a fantastic time! :)

CHAroma

Thanks all! ;)

My first Mariage Freres tea. Upon opening the package, the tea smells lemony w/other fruity fragrances. The tea is very tangy but yet not overly strong in lemon flavor. The frangrance from the brewed tea is perfumey and is not even similar to the tea taste…

This would be excellent iced w/a little sugar thrown in….Or even frozen like a sorbet on a hot day…

This is my second green tea I had blended by a French company. And both teas manage to be subtle, sophisticated, and flavorful… At the same time, I can never identify any discrete flavors

Marie

Wondering where everyone gets their Mariage Freres? Do you order through a third party online retailer? Or do you have a place like Williams Sonoma that you go in person?

Lori

Try culturedcup.com (in Dallas)

They even sell 1oz. amounts for ~$5.00 (depending on the MF blend) so you can try a variety before placing an order. They have a HUGE selection (but were out of Marco Polo when I placed my order). Shipping was generally prompt and the tea arrived in those heavy duty black ziploc bags. I believe that if you purchase a tea in the larger amounts they can send you one of those MF tins…

Marie

Tea-filled blessings to you Lori! Will visit culturecup for sure! Thanks! and boy do I sure love those tins! Starting to collect tea tins (like I don’t have enough teaware and accessories already! Sheesh!) ;)

I ran out of my first 50 grams, and yeah bit the bullet (the €€€ bullet) and bought myself a tin of it. I do love it that much.

A warning, this is (obviously) sensitive to brewing temperature – more than most green tea blens. It is ALWAYS drinkable (to my taste buds calibration), just some times sharper, sometimes smoother. Keep it in mind when brewing this, experimenting a bit might be worth it till you know how you like it.

195 °F / 90 °C

This is the first Mariage Frères that I ever tasted and it is amazing. There is a perfect balance of green tea and citrus.

And another sample from cteresa (thank you for being my dealer! :P)
Very nice, the lemongrass really does come true and I actually like the taste, unlike that other lemongrass tea I bought which was really really bad. Another winner for Marriage Frères. :D

Excellent green tea. It has a meyer lemon sweet scent and more of a regular lemon taste with a litte clove or spice mixed in. Well balanced and delecate flavor.

An excellent tea, with subtle fruit notes, but not sweetish. I like it very much.

It was my afternoon tea at the IT show, I am so glad they were proposing a Mariage Frères selection.
First time with this famous among the famous Mariage Frères tea.
Of course it wasn’t brew correctly because the waitress only had a boiling thermos bottle but anyway it wasn’t bitter at all and I had a very refined and lovely citrus tea,very energetic and refreshing.
Sure if I can retaste it in better conditions it would be one of the rare green teas I can hoard.

cteresa

this is one of my all time favorites, and was a rebuy (and will be again when I do another MF splurge), can´t believe I never sent you one. I love it, along with Casablanca they are my favorite summer teas.

Ysaurella

do you have it and Casablanca hot or iced in summer ?

cteresa

I do not drink hot tea when it´s really hot, so mostly iced, if I remember to make it far in advance. though I open exceptions to hot tea when it´s summer but not hot, or after the gym – for some reason Casablanca is my number one drink for after the gym.

Ysaurella

you’re brave, I drink tea but don’t make any gym ! :)

cteresa

ah, but the gym it feels wonderful when you stop (and have your cup of casablanca….). Stopping exercise is totally addictive. And it´s nothing hardcore anyway.

Ysaurella

Unfortunately and since I am a kid I hate sport Teresa…so agree with the fact gym is wonderful when you stop ;)

1962 tasting notes

I’m in Pittsburgh this weekend and I happen to have found a cute French restaurant called Crêpes Parisienne that is right near the museum where I’m working today. Not only do they have tasty crêpes, they also sell MF tea. I chose this one to go with my lunch mostly because they didn’t have any black teas that I really wanted to try in stock.

This was really lovely! Fresh and green and lightly citrusy. Smooth and overall very nice. It was on the whole lightly flavored (at least, with the somewhat unknown parameters at which I steeped it), but that is just fine with me. Perfect for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up, and a perfect accompaniment to my delicious crêpe!

Kat_Maria

Do they only sell them to have with your food, or can you buy the entire tins? Either way, thanks for bringing it up! I am occasionally in Pittsburgh, so it is a good thing to know… Are there any other cool tea places you would recommend? I will be in Pittsburgh at the end of the month, in the vicinity of Cultural District mostly.

Dinosara

They do have a small selection of tins (and boxes of tea bags) for sale, but be warned that they are cash only! I don’t know much else about Pittsburgh as this is my first real visit, just happened across this place!

cteresa

This is one of my all time favorites, my perfect spring-summer afternoon tea…

I love Nil Rouge as well.

Kat_Maria

Dinosara, somehow I thought you’re a very frequent visitor there! :D Thanks for sharing what you know, however. I might check out this place, maybe not in a couple of weeks, but the next time I’m there.