Pleine Lune

Black Fruit Blend
Chestnut, Honey, Nutmeg, Nuts, Stewed Fruits
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “A birthday week tea rerun (trearun?). I figured this would pair well both with the chocolate cake and the almond cake in case someone else wanted tea. It was so nice to get to see everyone in the...” Read full tasting note
    clareborn 258 tasting notes
  • “Happy Christmas! Today is Christmas with my eldest daughter because she will be in Ireland for Christmas, so we let her open her presents and have her stocking and we are just spending some time...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “assuaging my lack of weekend with this lovely tea.... in my other class, studying psychoanalysis, they asked us if 'i have at least one relaxed, easy evening a week to do what i want and go to bed...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 344 tasting notes
  • “mmmm... I received this one in a swap with *Ysaurella* I am really enjoying this one. I'm not sure if it's the sample that i received but i'm not getting as much of the cherry notes as others. I...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4044 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

The splendour of a ‘Full Moon’.

Inspired by that heavenly body and the realm of dreams, this poetic blend combines fragrances evoking the feast of the full moon: fruits, rare spices, and the sweet taste of honey.

A true moonbeam.

PREPARATION ADVICE FOR 1 CUP :
Amount of tea leaves: 2.5g
Best water temperature: 95 °C
Infusion time: 3-5 min

About Mariage Frères View company

Almond is the dominant flavor here, which I have to be in the mood for – otherwise it will taste too sweet, almost cloying, for my palate. Small bits of almond and blue cornflowers are spread evenly throughout the tea. Good with milk and sugar.

Pleine Lune is a beautiful tea, and one I will hold very dear to my heart.

My mother brought it back from Paris for me, as a gift. And I will always remember trying it for the first time. It was very evocative, smelt lovely and rich, and had steady almond black tea base. It’s almost buttery, quite dark in colour and has lovely spiced notes.

My selection is a group of little muslin, cotton teabags and I love each and every one of them. The flavour is bold, and I would recognise it anywhere. The first time I tried it, I had never really had much tea before, and I thought ‘this is what drinking tea is like.’ I was quite young at the time, but it’s stuck with me and it’s for that reason that this is one of my most treasured teas.

This tea is full of almond and evening spices, and the whole taste ties in very well with the name. It tastes a little like a Christmas tea. I would happily drink this tea any time, with or without milk or sugar. It’s a very nostalgic tea, and I will always keep it in my tea pantry.

So pretty with the flowers. Dry and brewing, the sweetness of almonds really comes out along with some floral notes—reminds me a lot of Korres’ Bitter Almond scented line of bath products (a compliment as it’s one of my favorite fragrances, and rather unique, not just the usual everyday “nut” scent found in products).

Funny about the Korres Bitter Almond aroma, because upon drinking it reminds me of their Vanilla Cinnamon line. The spices are warm and sweet, and there’s some cherry and vanilla too. All of these things in, say, a cheap drugstore lipgloss, that is to say artificial with a heavy hand, would turn me off, but here they’re beautiful and intoxicating. That said this is indeed quite sweet, so you have to be in the mood for that.

I have a feeling I’m going to have to mete out my MF experiences in order to prevent getting too used to the loveliness, ‘cause my across-the-ocean US pocketbook can’t afford to make them a habit. Hope I don’t start to feel like Icarus flying too high towards the sun only to get burned, ha.

j’ adore ce thé quand t ’ on le goute on a l ’ impression d’ etre sur une ile desserte

Rebecca Lynn

Ahhhhh, tellement jalouse. Je veux gouter un thé de Mariage Freres désespérément!

Nice almond-based tea, definitely on the sweet side. I like drinking it in the afternoon for a little pick-me-up. Might be nice with milk and sugar for a kid’s tea party (which is not to say it’s unsophisticated!)

ce thé est vraiment un de mes préfére un the noirs de qualité j’aime beaucoup cette arome d’amande vraiment délicieus !!!! ce thé est a la fois doux et fort enfin c’est ce que je pense !!! désolé je suis francaise vu qu’il ya beaucoup d’américaine sur ce site …. bref un mélange d’arome trés agréable

Another night time themed tea today!

Very grateful that keychange gave me a sample of this. It sounded better than it is…the honey flavor leaves a weird after taste. It isn’t terrible, just a little weird/artificial tasting. shrug this is why I love swapping samples!

Yup! try all the tea!

Mmmmm, this is good. Thanks to CharlotteZero for this one!
I’m getting mainly stewed cherry in this, but also some muted spice notes. Reminds me a little of mulled wine. I’m not getting the honey, which is ok, though I do love honey! This holds up well with skim milk and sweetener, which is a plus for me, not all teas do.

Look at the MF trend in my life lately! I’m actually really glad, because I actually got these teas in October of 2013, and figure I need to actually get to them instead of just hording them because they’re “too nice”. But I was craving this tea ever since I got home last night, and chose to have it with breakfast this morning. As I sipped at it, I found it passingly reminiscent of glitter and gold, but only vaguely. Perhaps it’s because both have a touch of spice to them, although this one also has the delicious marzipan component, whereas glitter and gold is more similar to a pumpkin tea (in my opinion anyway—I know it’s an odd comparison). I also like that I could really get a hefty base here, and I don’t know how to describe it other than to say that it’s a base that MF is proud of, because there aren’t any attempts to obliterate it with a ton of flavour, although this tea is very flavourful indeed. and not in the “delicate but nice” way—there really is a lot of flavour here.

ifjuly

yeah, i agree, there is a vague similarity between the two. (BTW, your stuff’s finally all arrived and i can send it sometime this week, sorry for the delay!) :O

Christina

This sounds really interesting! Strongly flavoured, not delicate, but the flavour doesn’t drown out the base. Sounds very well balanced.

keychange

Ifjuly, I’m so excited! and no worries on taking your time-I’m like the slowest swapper ever, but everyone’s so forgiving haha.

Christina, it really is great. would you like me to send you some?

Christina

I’d love to try it, but I’d like to hold off on a swap for now. I just got a few samples in the mail and will be getting even more (as well as 2 orders) in the future, so I don’t want to get inundated by new types of tea.

keychange

Sounds good! :). I totally understand being overwhelmed with like five million inbound packages lol

This is definitely a magnificent, well balanced cuppa of quality tea I’d expect from our favorite brothers Mariage. The dry leaves have a very strong, intoxicating smell, like a shot of krupnik (a spiced honey liquor from my homeland) diluted with Amaretto.. smells almost like it has alcohol. Made me think I’m about to get drunk brewing a bit of Amaretto with maraschino cherries or some other divinely sweet desert drink.

The brewed tea loses the “alcohol” scent but the almond/spiced honey fragrance is joined by some smashed red berries, I’d say closest to strawberries and dark brandied cherries. One of the “spices” is definitely mahlab, which gives that bitter almond & cherry flavor. That part brought me back to Egypt the moment I took my first sip, but in some European-style cafe in Cairo next to a hookah/sheesha bar. I can’t quite pinpoint the other spices (saffron? black sesame?), but they are very well balanced, neither muting the concert of sweet honey with cherry amaretto nor fading into the background.

The brewing suggestion was 3-5 minutes at 95C water, 2.5g/20cl. I found that 200F, 2tsp/300ml at 3 minutes works best for me, as some bitter notes from the mahlab start becoming more pronounced at 5 minutes. 4 minutes and I already needed some sweetener to bring it back to balance, but the flavor was a bit more robust. When I brewed a cup for my mom at her house, I used freshly boiled water (no precise kettle) I’m guessing was around 205-210F for 4 minutes and it definitely needed sweetener.

Finicky and you’ll have to play around with the temps to get it just right for yourself, but when you nail it, it’s a real treat. Also got mine fresh direct from Mariage Freres, so maybe the longer steeping times are for leaves that have been sitting around for a little while.

Flavors: Chestnut, Honey, Nutmeg, Nuts, Stewed Fruits

Looking forward to seeing your other reviews on th MF teas :)

TeaWings

Not as much as I’m looking forward to trying them I bet :) It’s going to be a great weekend!!

cteresa

There are cloves as well, they even mention it on the french mirror of their site.

Very interesting taste note!

TeaWings

Cloves!! Thanks cteresa, I will definitely look for them later today when I brew another cuppa; I love solving piquant tea mysteries… ;) how I missed that, well.. maybe was looking too hard, ha!