Darjeeling Princeton TGFOP1

Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From Mariage Frères

An extremely refined and subtle blend of first flush teas from various estates.

A brisk, flowery tea of incomparable flavour.

Perfect for five o’clock tea.

About Mariage Frères View company

we had this for breakfast today – I definitely recommend it plain and not with soymilk. Not the best darjeeling I’ve ever had but still very nice. See previous notes. :)

Another Rachel tea! Thanks girl! :)

This is a nice to-go darjeeling. Sure, it has that usual woodsy-bitter-astringency you would think of when drinking a darjeeling but it is a nice middle of the road woodsy-bitter and I mean that in a nice way!

Light in flavor, not bad for when you feel like just having a little pick me up.

First, I have to admit draw to Mariage Frere is the look and shape of its round tin. Then, this particular tea choice is that this is one of only three or four MF that local Williams-Sonoma carry. I already have Marco Polo, have tons of Earl Grey from other tea companies and have a hankering to branch into Darjeelings after my introduction to a sample of Adagio’s Sungma Summer. PLUS, I loved the Darjeeling in 52teas’ Earl Grey Cheesecake. To sum, I drank this to reminisce about other tea experiences and hopefully to create new ones. Darjeeling is a favorite of my MIL so I associate it with afternoon tea sessions with savories like quiche and cucumber salad sandwiches. My recommendation, drink this tea if it is easily available and know it is a gateway tea to better tasting FF Darjeelings. This Princeton is a blend from different estates so, taste-wise, it is a middle-of-the-road experience that isn’t worth the import premium unless you are like me and like vanity tins. This tea won’t be replaced unless you count my eventual refilling (probably with Ovation Teas liquidation Darjeelings I picked up recently). End of review and sorry for all the name-dropping in the process.

Quietly nicking a spoonful of this from my housemate while he’s away… It’s too good to resist.

Unfortunately today I have some cold symptoms so the taste is affected quite a bit, especially considering it’s something as light as a TGFOP darjeeling, but it turned out delicious nonetheless! Recently, also, Twinings UK put up a guide to professional tea tasting on their website: http://twinings.co.uk/about-our-tea/how-to-taste-tea As I have to taste teas for work I’m going to try using this kind of vocabulary and guide from here on out. So with my inability-to-smell-handicap, here are my thoughts today:

This darjeeling brews very very light. A good teaspoonful with boiling water didn’t brew to an amber for quite some time, remaining golden for a few minutes (I tend to judge when a tea is ready by its colour- perhaps something I should avoid doing in future after this?), and having left it has possibly made it more astringent and dry than is normal for this tea. It’s toasty and light without that heavy roasted taste of many black teas, due to its quality I should think, and the toastiness comes towards a floral flavour, even very slightly hops-like and edging into wood flavours. It is really, however, very dry and bitter towards the end.

I’m rounding this off with a little unsweetened soy milk as the tannins are proving too much for me at the end of a tiring day, but lighter, with an afternoon tea, I think this tea could be taken black perfectly!

It’s a well rounded FF Darjeeling with much of the astringency becoming apparent when brewing the tea for the recommended time of 5 minutes at 90C or 95C (on the MF website). it is on par with their other teas like Springside. Comparing this Darjeeling to other retailers i would consider it a good tea. Comparing to the premium Mariage Freres FF Darjeelings, the taste is average. I used to love this tea until I tasted the FF Margaret’s Hope, FF Namring Upper, and FF Castleton.

Slightly bitter yet tasty underneath: yes, I’m at work on Saturday morning, but I really do enjoy my job. Also I’m drinking tea.

I went to one of my favorite stores yesterday, and came across this tea. I’ve never heard of this french company before then. It looked like a pretty good tea to try. It says it’s the perfect tea for 5:00, but I had it with breakfast today. The smell was floral, and fruit-like. The leaves were very typical of a Darjeeling: multiple colors of green, yellow, and light brown. The tea leaves were actually quite beautiful looking.
Because this is the first tea of this company I’ve tried, I decided to do a “quality check”, to make sure the stem to leaf ratio was small. Thankfully it was. I brewed the tea for about 4 1/2 minutes, at which point I decided that was enough to taste the full body. The aroma of the brew also smelled floral, but lost it’s fruity scent. To me, the tea tasted great. It seemed like the mixture of a white and a black tea. It was as smooth as silk, and filled with flavor. It wasn’t too brisk, nor too light. It sat somewhere in the middle. This company seems promising enough to try some of their other teas, which I hope are as good as this.

This was the first Darjeeling I ever had from Mariage Frères, and I still buy it regularly. It is quite tasty and a great deal for its price. Definitely not the most delicate Darjeeling Mariage offers, Darjeeling Princeton is a great everyday tea that’s quite soothing.

I’ve found that steeping to 5 minutes, as the site suggests, makes the tea a bit bitter for me—I prefer a steeping time of slightly over 3 minutes. The tea steeps to a golden brown color. The taste is lightly woodsy but rich. I like to drink it in the morning.