Earl Grey French Blue

Edit tea info Last updated by Alicia

From Mariage Frères

This velvety black tea, elegant and sophisticated, is cloaked in the fragrance of fine, rare bergamot and royal blue cornflowers.

About Mariage Frères View company

Mariage Freres features a number of different Earl Grey blends, and I find this one to be their best. The bergamot is present without being overwhelming, the black tea base is rich and flavorful, and the blue blossoms, though they may not add any discernible flavor, do make it a beautiful tea to “watch”. Great with milk and sugar too.

The only tea I received from MF that I’d be willing to give a second chance. While I ususally don’t like bergamot at all, I was not as much offed here.

Backlogging this one! Surprised I haven’t done this one yet but then I don’t drink it all that often; being the first tea I bought on my pilgrimage (yes, my cultural, romantic, artistic, linguistic, idealistic pilgrimage) to Paris, and to Mariage Frères beneath the Louvre, I tend to guard it preciously and use it only for special occasions.

Hooowever my manager asked that I complete the last exercise of my tea training workbook today, which involved comparing two teas of different grades, so I compared this one to Whittard of Chelsea’s Afternoon Earl Grey, also with cornflowers. But French Blue will always come out on top, for me!!

Something always tells me not to brew this one for too long but it’s never come out badly for it; the floral scent is consistently amazing without being terribly pungent all through the steeping and, with the leaves carefully measured, never brews to any darker than the richest amber. (I do feel like I’m writing a love letter to this tea.) It’s dry on the tongue but so, so good for it- the bergamot and the china black tea and the cornflowers all come out separately, strongly, and so deliciously, none of this merging of flavours that tends to make the ingredients indistinct from one another. Being able to taste all the different harmonious elements here really works to its advantage.

I’ve had this one with milk before but unless you’re not a fan of the dryness, I’d recommend it black, to be treated as you’d treat a First Flush Darjeeling. This one is such a great classic!

-Discount this tasting note. I discovered that this tea was not Earl Grey French Blue but that it is a very delicious tea and I should try it some time. The tea I was drinking was named correctly as Bel Ami.

This was really lovely, with lots of that bergamot fragrance I love and require. Going to have to savor this batch for sure, ‘cause for me once it’s gone it’s gone, alas.

Definitely the best Earl Grey I’ve in my life, and leaves behind a warm glowy feeling every time.

This is my go-to black tea. I find it to be delicate in flavor, but rich enough to be very satisfying. It is particularly light on tannin, which makes it very easy to drink cup after cup!

Discovered this by accident because there was a shop in my town owned by a local Francophile, she used this blend for the ice tea. When they closed up the business, I bought it in bulk from her cafe inventory and had no idea of the brand because it was in a plain bag. Forward ahead 18 months on a visit to Dean & DeLuca in Napa and I found myself in the tea section, where I spot Mariage Freres Cornflower Blue Earl Grey. Could it be the same brand as the unlabelled but amazing French brand I had for ice tea? It was and ever since then I’ve been buying it mail order from Market Hall Foods. The beautiful blue flowers are an added nice aesthetic touch, but it’s honestly the best Earl Grey I’ve ever tried. In fact I love it so much, I’m afraid to spend my precious dollars on any other types of Mariage Freres tea for fear it won’t be as good.

This is a glamorous earl grey with its pretty blue flowers. I love to lift the lid of the tin and take a big sniff – it has an exhilerating, yet delicate scent and makes a refreshing and uplifting drink – good first thing in the morning or mid afternoon with cake or other light foods. I have mine with semi-skimmed milk, no sugar or sweetener. Thirst-quenching and fragrant. Delightful.