Cinnamon, Smoke, Tannin, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Alessandra Fissinger

From Mark T. Wendell

This is a fairly heavily smoked Lapsong Souchong that smells wonderful and brews up beautifully. Named for a Chinese Tea Merchant.

About Mark T. Wendell View company

This tea is a famous staple at events hosted at my work, often served with lemon. I prefer my tea without sugar or lemon, generally, though the citrus is nice with this tea. It is definitely smokey, but less of the bacon-like smoke some brands of lapsang souchong seem to have, this is gentler and more woody. The smoke flavor is not as noticeable in the scent of the leaves or the tea, but comes through the most when drinking. There is a traditional black tea feel and taste to this, not bitter but full-feeling and with a sort of rich tanin flavor and texture. Some kind of spicy, almost cinnamon-like, secondary note comes in the aftertaste which really adds a coziness to the forward smoke flavors. I thought I had heard somewhere that this might be close to the kind of tea drank in Boston historically, but I could be making that up. Overall a bold cup with just the right amount of smoke. It’s famous around here for a reason!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Smoke, Tannin, Wood

The smokiness is something you learn to love or hate, but this tea is smoother with more balanced briskness than other lapsang souchongs. Join an online tasting of this tea: http://walkerteareview.com/?p=2373