China Yunnan

Edit tea info Last updated by Shennong

From Mark T. Wendell

Cultivated in China’s Yunnan Province, the birthplace of tea, this black tea has a large leaf with distinctive golden tips. It has some of the best characteristics of traditional China teas as well as teas from India. When brewed, it produces a rich, almost peppery flavor.

About Mark T. Wendell View company

Yet another surprise! Just when I think I can predict a flavor of a tea – I am dead wrong – but in cases like this – I LIKE THIS! I LIKE being WRONG! :)

This has a very masculine black tea aroma and taste. It’s very rich and bold. It has hints of pepper and earthiness to it. An even smaller hint of smoke, too.

I really like this because of how different it ended up being! YUM!

Thank you to TeaEqualsBliss for sending me a bit of this tea.

Nice! Very hefty Yunnan – strong and peppery, but with a smoky tone to it too. Earthy. Very rugged.

I like this a lot.

ScottTeaMan

My first Yunnan was a peppery, earthy one and I loved it. A touch of milk adds a little smoothness without spoiling the flavor.

LiberTEAS

This one doesn’t even need milk. It is remarkably smooth for a Yunnan. A very pleasant cuppa.

I don’t know. I can’t force myself to enjoy this as much as other Yunnan’s i’ve tried. I like that it’s a tad smoky and earthy, but there’s the bit of sweetness I love about Yunnan’s that that pepperyness covers up. Still a good tea, but so far this is my least favorite Yunnan.

Important. Wendell says steep for 4-5 minutes. DONT. Do 3 minutes. Thank me later. Worlds better with the shorter brew.

The earthy flavor makes this one of my favorite Yunnans. Sipping it conjures up images of my British grandmother in her beige cardigan, serving me afternoon tea with cucumber sandwiches.

Good quality, good tasting cup. The faintest hint of smokiness. A great everyday tea.

I can be an incredibly hard sell on green teas (they’re often a touch too bitter for my taste), but this one is mild, fresh, sweet, and agreeable. It also ices beautifully.