Rooibos & Vanilla

Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Photon_Man62

• “My first encounter with rooibos was just wonderful. It was Rooibos Vanilla Tea-Butler by Teekanne, which was sweet, caramel-y and had the aroma of biscotti. It became the "prototype" of rooibos in...” Read full tasting note
    larukucafe 309 tasting notes
  • “I have never tasted Rooibos tea on its own before. So I had no idea what to expect when I made a bottle of this tea. Needless to say I was worried when I first opened the bag. Mostly because it...” Read full tasting note
    orto_clare 7 tasting notes

From Marks & Spencer Tea

Pure dried rooibos with vanilla for a creamy caramel sweetness.

Ingredients: Fairtrade rooibos (96%), flavours (4%)
Flavourings are made up of 2% vanilla flavouring and 2% chocolate flavouring.

Serving: boiling water, 3-5 minutes, add milk if desired

About Marks & Spencer Tea View company

My first encounter with rooibos was just wonderful. It was Rooibos Vanilla Tea-Butler by Teekanne, which was sweet, caramel-y and had the aroma of biscotti. It became the “prototype” of rooibos in my mind – I thought all rooibos were as yummy as that.

Wrong. The disillusionment was brought by this Rooibos and Vanilla from M&S. The dry leaves had the smell of herbs and… that’s all. Where’s the vanilla?? Sadly, there’s no answer to this question even after brewing. The liquor was mildly sweet but at the same time strangely vegetal/herbal. It took me a while to recognize that it tasted like bread. Damp bread, to be more precise… so it was not all that pleasant. :( Since this is a rather pure rooibos tea, I begin to think maybe it’s what rooibos really tastes like. I hope I am wrong again!

Winter Salo

I feel your pain Devilish! I’ve tasted plain rooibos good and bad so don’t despair. Teas.com.au do a delish vanilla rooibos. More than any other tea-type I find rooibos are either absolutely divine or incredibly putrid, for me it’s the hardest tea-type to buy without trying. I am truly amazed by the disparity around and almost hope one day to find a mediocre one.

Devilish

Oh thanks so much for the tip Winter Salo! Seems the quality of rooibos can vary a great deal. I will tell myself to be hopeful and continue to sample rooibos by different companies! :)

Winter Salo

I admire your courage and look forward to reading your results! :)

I have never tasted Rooibos tea on its own before. So I had no idea what to expect when I made a bottle of this tea. Needless to say I was worried when I first opened the bag. Mostly because it smelled weird and artificial. When brewed, the smell didn’t go away, though it did mellow down a little. Taste wise, not my cup of tea.

Iced