Organic Island Green Tea

Sweet, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by CK
175 °F / 79 °C 5 g 7 oz / 204 ml

From Mauna Kea Tea

Organic Island Green Tea is harvested from young tender shoots at our peak harvesting time to bring out good balanced flavor. Our unique pan-fire processing gives the leaves a gently twist, refreshing green aroma and sweet taste.

Tea Profile:

Water 8 oz (240 ml)
Temp 190 F (90 °C)
Time 120 sec

About Mauna Kea Tea View company

Last cup of this. Hopefully I’ll see it at another craft fair or some thing. It’s a nice green tea with warm, toasty flavor. :)

I ruined this tea with people…

Used 175f without knowing it was suppose to be 195f because that sounds so odd to me. I drink Japanese greens so I’m not use to killing the leaf.

Brewed it on my own at 195f and found a thicker texture and stronger taste. It’s odd that it requires 195f, but if you do it this way it’s more like a thick baozhong oolong than a green tea. Going to open another bag and mess around with it because this group buy flopped which means experiments : )

I also got this through the regional group buy. This is a very nice green tea. It has a light tasting natural sweetness to it. It had very little umami taste and something of a vegetal taste. It was overall very good. As it was naturally sweet I wasn’t tempted to add sugar to it. I would also note that this was a very light colored green tea.

I brewed this three times in a 200ml kyusu with 6.9g leaf and 175 degree water. I steeped it for 1 min, 1.5 min, and 2 min.

Flavors: Sweet, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 6 g 7 OZ / 200 ML
Liquid Proust

Got to use 195 like it says… Trust me

Didn’t notice that.

Liquid Proust

And neither did I… Weirdest thing in awhile… Green tea at 195

My variable temperature kettle doesn’t do 195. I will have to try 190 or 200.

I did 190. I liked how it came out.

Acquired through the Regional Group Buy.

The directions say 195 degrees, but since I don’t have that setting on my kettle, I went with 190 and then lowered it to 185 in the middle of the session. Prepared semi-Western, semi-gongfu method, with a glass tea pot. Steeping times: 2, 3, 4, 6.

I don’t know when the tea was processed, but the dry leaf aroma smells very fresh and interesting. It’s both savory and sweet, with notes of buttered boiled beans, peaches, and sea salt. I let the leaf sit in the pre-heated pot for a bit and smelled a more vegetal aroma, which reminded me of Lu Shan Yun Wu. The wet leaf aroma – still savory – is also sweet, this time in a high mountain oolong way.

Overall, the liquor is light green, clean, and full-bodied, having a bright and crisp personality. The texture is creamy. Infusions one through three taste like the wet leaf aroma – savory with the sweetness of a Taiwanese. Wenshan Baozhong specifically comes to mind. The last sips leave me with a dry mouth, but a long-lasting nectarine aftertaste. A minty note makes an appearance in the aftertaste after I finish the third infusion.

I then took a longer break that lasted a couple hours. The fourth infusion tasted completely different – sweet and grassy like a young sheng.

This kind of green tea doesn’t suit my tastes. I prefer the sweeter varieties over the savory. And after having tried a few Wenshan Baozhongs, I concluded that while I can stomach them and do like how they taste, I don’t particularly go out of my way to experience them over and over. Regardless of these thoughts, I do think that this green tea is good quality. But it has flavors that someone else would appreciate more.

3 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

From the LP Group buy, and one of the main reasons why I readily got some.

This was one of my favorite teas of the selection. It is very green, very crisp, and pretty refreshing. The taste was closer to something like a Baozhong to me personally since it did have some vague tropical profiles along with some hints of florals. Overall, the tea is light with a savory thick body. Sticky rice does come to mind in part. I’ll add more notes soon since I can’t remember more specifics at the moment. Know that I greatly enjoy it.

This tea is from Hawaii!! By way of LP’s Regional Group Buy (Thanks LP!!!!), which is really awesome by the way.

So I’m not sure what the problem is, but I was drinking this tea today and it was trying to fool me into thinking that green teas are my favorite. Normally I prefer darker teas (blacks, pu-erhs, chais, roasted oolongs) and even when I do drink greens I prefer the sweet floral notes that go well with honey, but this tea’s vegetal, savory notes are making me super happy today for some reason instead of, well, the opposite. I guess it’s just a really good tea? Or else I’m just starting to enjoy the savory flavors in green tea, in which case I’m going to need a lot more green teas than I have, lol.

The leaves are great for at least three steepings (so far). The only thing I’ve noticed that detracted from the experience is a teeny bit of bitterness, which may be the result of my imprecise steeping temperature (I’ve just been boiling the water and then letting it rest for a couple of minutes before steeping. I really need to start using a candy thermometer or something).

3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Hi my dear! Would you please follow me? I would like to send you a PM :) Thanks!