Sweet Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by rubicat

• “I don't understand how people drink this stuff. Their not kidding when they say sweet. This was toooo sweet... I mean like it had some moments that had it okay, but erghhh it was kinda gross. I...” Read full tasting note
    JonTea 51 tasting notes
  • “I'm a Southerner so I'm used to ultra sweet tea. Most of the time this stuff is even too sweet for me though! Can be sickly so. Good prices for so much tea but has to be made just right and it's...” Read full tasting note
    Lupiressmoon 31 tasting notes
  • “My mom LOVES this tea. I used to like it, but it's so bleh to me now. I have had the sweet tea at Popeye's and it's better. Though none are as good as Folks in Atlanta, GA. They make the BEST sweet...” Read full tasting note
    MelissaW 236 tasting notes
  • “OK, so today is a sad day for good tea practices. Just a disclaimer, I'm a true Southerner and Iced Tea means supersaturated with sugar with a viscosity akin to motor oil. As far as the...” Read full tasting note
    Nitro 7 tasting notes

From McDonald's

Water, sugar, orange pekoe and pekoe cut black tea. 230 calories for a 32 fl. oz. cup.

About McDonald's View company

I don’t understand how people drink this stuff. Their not kidding when they say sweet. This was toooo sweet… I mean like it had some moments that had it okay, but erghhh it was kinda gross.
I knew I wasn’t going to get a healthy tea at Mc Donalds, but I mean this left a wierd taste in my mouth ( maybe because I was eating a fish filet but still haha )
Judging by other opinions, maybe they just didn’t make it right I’ll try another mc donalds in the near future and let you know.

Nicole Martin

It’s an aquired taste. I developed a major sweet tea addiction after vacationing in Savannah, GA for a week. I’ve definitely eaten at McDonald’s that did not make it correctly though. On a hot summer day it hits the spot for me.

JonTea

Yeah it seems to be a hit, that’s why I felt a little left out that I wasn’t crazy about it. It was a nice day out today, so it was the perfect day for iced tea, I’ll try it again sometime…

malomorgen

hehe never thought i’d see a mcdonald’s tea on steepster ;)

Meghann M

They do make an unsweetened tea that they serve iced, but it’s not any better than iced lipton’s. funny seeing their tea reviewed here, but interesting.

Cofftea

I like sugar in all ways except in tea and suguar that isn’t in flavored syrup form in coffee. It’s SO hard to find unsweetened iced tea when I go out. Subway and Crate and Barrel are the only 2 I’ve discovered. And Crate and Barrel is a weird one since they serve Southern food.

JonTea

Subway makes one? I didn’t know, is it anygood?
Also the sweet tea did come unsweetened but it just didn’t look as exciting so I went for the sweeter one expecting they’ll go easy on me… Apparently not!
Yeah I thought it would be interesting to post a mcdonalds tea on steepster haha

Cofftea

They have a honey flavored sweetened one too (it may have lemon in it?)

It’s MUCH better than sweetened tea, but I’m not a fan of RTD iced tea… but this case could just be because it’s a black tea. Probably.

“the sweet tea did come unsweetened”… LOL! That may get you conked on the head in some parts of the south!:) If it’s unsweetened it is NOT sweet tea.;)

JonTea

LOL! I just noticed that, pretty funny.
The subway one sounds pretty good, I am a fan of fuze’s protein drinks so I’m sure they could pull off tea. The problem with the mcdonalds sweet tea is that it wasnt lite sugar it was like heavy syrupy sugar, thats what made it unejoyable for me

-Jessica-

Lol in Texas everyone LOVES sweet tea … It’s more like “would you like some tea with your sugar?” haha but I am not big on anything that is very sugary so I too stay away from their sugar tea drink :-)

MH_Bonham

I used to drink tea with a lot of sugar and even I had/have problems with sweet tea. The reason it is so sweet is that they add corn syrup. I’ve been told that they heat up the tea and add the syrup to make it sweeter yet. Ugh.

Meghann M

I even think the Subway one is too sweet. I think their is HFCS in with it as well as the honey because it is crazy sweet. I wonder if they have a concentrate that they pour in with it because they do “brew” it. At least at my Subway it gives the impression that it is brewed. The only place I’ve found amazing iced tea is at Corner Bakery Cafe. They have a black currant iced tea that Mighty Leaf tea makes for them and it is amazing without any additives. Yum. I love black Currant though. I may have to go there tomorrow and get an extra large tea :)

mmmm, Sounds good :D
Yeah I don’t know about the subway one, I will try that this week :D

I’m a Southerner so I’m used to ultra sweet tea. Most of the time this stuff is even too sweet for me though! Can be sickly so. Good prices for so much tea but has to be made just right and it’s yucky when its warm. A bit too much on the sugar.

My mom LOVES this tea. I used to like it, but it’s so bleh to me now. I have had the sweet tea at Popeye’s and it’s better. Though none are as good as Folks in Atlanta, GA. They make the BEST sweet tea.

If I am in a pinch, and I NEED tea, I will order it. But that’s rare. With my new travel mug, where I can brew tea anywhere there’s hot water, I won’t need to go to McD’s…YAY!

OK, so today is a sad day for good tea practices.

Just a disclaimer, I’m a true Southerner and Iced Tea means supersaturated with sugar with a viscosity akin to motor oil.

As far as the preeminent fast food chain’s version of sweet tea goes, it’s spot on. I actually find myself getting it whenever I’m there, whereas I don’t even consider getting tea at any other fast food chain. Maybe it’s marketing, maybe it’s in my head, but it’s pretty good.

It’s not complex, not breathtaking, but a pretty accurate take on the Southern Tradition. Unfortunately, I don’t really appreciate the use of High Fructose Corn Syrup in stead of good ol’ Sucrose, but you can’t really tell.

Now if only I can find a way to get back to drinking good tea…

the only thing that makes me drink this awfully sweet" tea" is when my stashes of tea run dry! A cheap last resort, a slap to the face, a distant memory of good tea….the taste of loneliness.

Although I much prefer brewing my own sweet tea, I’m glad McDonald’s has this now! It’s not half bad compared to some place’s ideas of what “tea” should be.

I don’t know why I like a fast-food sweet tea so much. Sweet tea itself is a different type of animal than regular brewed tea; it has a syrupyness that’s awesome. And McDonald’s does it right. :)

The best sweet tea from any fast food place!

I don’t know why I like this stuff but it is one of the only fresh tasting fast food teas. I won’t touch the food there but I do like the tea.