White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

From McQuarries Tea & Coffee Merchants

Smooth and silky with light Riesling and berry notes. A mild astringent finish.

Origin: China
Region: Fu-ding
Grade: Pai Mu Tan
Ingredients: white tea, Ontario ice wine, natural flavours.

About McQuarries Tea & Coffee Merchants View company

1924 tasting notes

Roswell Strange, you sent me SOO much of this tea! I made a mason jar full and I don’t even think I made a dent in the stash. On the plus side though, I am actually getting ice wine today which is making for a very light and fruity cup. It is quite enjoyable :)

1943 tasting notes

Made this for work today. I have lots of it left, so I really should make a better attempt at drinking it down since I’d love to free up the tin it’s in. Maybe I’ll stick it up for swap…

Preparation:

- First cup I used 1 1/2 tsp. of leave steep for 1 1/2 min. in 80 degree celsius water
- For the second cup, I resteeped the leaves using the exact same steep time and temp. of water
- Poured into my 20 oz. water bottle
- Added 1 1/2 tsp. of white sugar since, sadly, this tea needs it to be drinkable

Taste:

- Lukewarm at time of consumption
- Sweet, but not cloying
- Floral notes present SIMILAR to jasmine, but definitely not jasmine…
- Some berry notes
- Very lightly astringent
- White base present, but not overtly

Honestly, this was probably the best I’ve yet to make this. It’s ok as an occasional tea, but not something I want to repurchase.

Lala

Have you tried it iced or cold brewed>

Roswell Strange

I’ve made it as a hot tea, and then drank it at work after it was a cold tea (not super awesome) – but haven’t deliberately cold brewed or had it on ice (I don’t actually own an ice cube tray or have the freezer space for bagged ice, so I very rarely have tea on ice: usually I cold brew it or make it as a hot tea and just stick it in the thermos in the freezer for a few hours).

Lala

I find sometimes you get a different flavour profile when you cold brew vs. iced (iced meaning making it hot and then cooling it off with ice or fridge or just letting it sit). I find that cold brewing helps me to get rid of teas faster. But if you don’t like it, you don’t like it. Just an option :)

Roswell Strange

Maybe I’ll try it that way. Sometimes I just have Tre drink the teas I don’t like, since he’s typically too uncomfortable to drink tea when I’m not around and when I am around he usually lets me pick the tea (or goes for Red Velvet Cake, which is his favourite and my least favourite – which works out well). However, he expressedly hates Ice Wine, so I doubt I could get away with serving him this…

Lala

Tell him it is concord grape, he he :P