Shaded Leaf

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by fancyteacup

• “After having had Top Leaf, someone suggested I try this one. I'm glad I did. This tea is fantastic. It's predominately grassy and seaweedy, it's brothy, and has that wonderful umami taste. Yum!...” Read full tasting note
    feralanima 174 tasting notes
  • “I think I may have used too much leaf for this cuppa - what seemed like an ordinary-sized scoop when dry expanded into what looked like twice the proper amount when I added the water. There's a...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1582 tasting notes
  • “Been waking up to this tea and Mellow Monk's Top Leaf for the past week or so. Fine teas to wake up with! The Shaded Leaf definitely stands out as my favorite of the two, but I've enjoyed them...” Read full tasting note
    Geoffrey 39 tasting notes
  • “This is my 3rd Mellow Monk Tea...I never really know what to expect now...the first one I tried was OK the 2nd one was awful and here's this one... This smells like Buttered Lima Beans...good...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes

From Mellow Monk

This is a truly exquisite green tea that will please the most discerning of palates.

Shaded Leaf™ is our most premium green tea — a kabuse-cha (literally “covered tea”). About 21 days before harvest, the tea plants are shaded with a woven covering that blocks out about 90% of sunlight. This stimulates the plants to produce extra catechins — including superhealthy EGCG — resulting in a smooth, full flavor, with less astringency than other senchas.

Shaded Leaf™ comes vacuum-sealed for freshness in foil packets. Each packet contains 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of tea, enough to make 40 to 50 cups of brewed tea.

To brew, use 1 heaping teaspoon of tea leaves for an 8-ounce cup or mug. The water temperature should be about 75 degrees Celcius (167 degrees Fahrenheit). (For more on water temperature, see here.) For the first steeping, let the tea brew for about 3 minutes. For the second and third steepings, let the tea brew for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

About Mellow Monk View company

MzPriss’ Unflavored Tea Box – Tea #22
I haven’t tried many of these grassy greens but this is a GOOD one. Something very unique here. It’s very creamy and sweet and only a little bit savory.. maybe something a little fruity as well… probably melon! I thought three minutes for this tea was too much, but it’s really perfect at a low temp. The second cup really didn’t have much flavor like the first cup did, which was a little odd. I wish everyone in the tea box could try this one, but there is only one teaspoon left: go for it Kiwi (the next person in the teabox), since I know you have something like this on your wishlist! Den’s Fukamidori… I’m debating on adding it to the teabox but it is closing in on the expiration date.
Steep #1 // 40 min after boiling // 3 min
Steep #2 // 25 min after boiling // 3 min

I like this tea. The leaf was pretty and it makes a bright green liquid. It has a different scent and taste. The scent is almost like vanilla. It has a smooth almost vanilla with grass flavor. It does not have a lot of that bitter seaweed flavor. I tasted that flavor in a lot of sencha type tea.

This green tea is the best. My Japanese husband thinks so, too, and his mom is a tea ceremony teacher, so there you have it. It’s pricey, but worth it. We get it every once in a while and buy the less expensive ones in between. A nice treat, and you don’t need much to make a flavorful pot.