Shaded Leaf

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by fancyteacup

From Mellow Monk

This is a truly exquisite green tea that will please the most discerning of palates.

Shaded Leaf™ is our most premium green tea — a kabuse-cha (literally “covered tea”). About 21 days before harvest, the tea plants are shaded with a woven covering that blocks out about 90% of sunlight. This stimulates the plants to produce extra catechins — including superhealthy EGCG — resulting in a smooth, full flavor, with less astringency than other senchas.

Shaded Leaf™ comes vacuum-sealed for freshness in foil packets. Each packet contains 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of tea, enough to make 40 to 50 cups of brewed tea.

To brew, use 1 heaping teaspoon of tea leaves for an 8-ounce cup or mug. The water temperature should be about 75 degrees Celcius (167 degrees Fahrenheit). (For more on water temperature, see here.) For the first steeping, let the tea brew for about 3 minutes. For the second and third steepings, let the tea brew for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

About Mellow Monk View company

Drinking this cold brew, and not bad. I prefer it hot, though. Top Leaf is still my go to cold brew green. While this tea is more buttery and savory cold, Top Leaf is a sweeter vegetal type of green when cold brewed.

So Paul from Mellow Monk told be this morning that he is looking for more Steepsters to do reviews of his teas, so if anyone would be interested in receiving any Mellow Monk teas in exchange for reviews, let me know and I’ll give you his email! (:

Cameron B.

Ooh, pick me! :D

Mandy

PM’d you (:

Parsifal

Please forward his email, that sounds really fun :)

from the (Mostly) Unflavored TTB

This tea had so much promise, and was just so disappointing. It was the end of the sample in the box, and it was smooshed at the bottom of the box. I could see the leaves were pretty broken up and there was a lot of dust, but I crossed my fingers and tried it anyway.

Nope.

Bitter as heck, with hints of the flavors I wanted this tea to have. But bitter, nasty bitter.

So hopefully I’ll see this in some other teabox or somewhere and can try it again, because this didn’t work for me.

Oh well.

MzPriss’ Unflavored Tea Box – Tea #22
I haven’t tried many of these grassy greens but this is a GOOD one. Something very unique here. It’s very creamy and sweet and only a little bit savory.. maybe something a little fruity as well… probably melon! I thought three minutes for this tea was too much, but it’s really perfect at a low temp. The second cup really didn’t have much flavor like the first cup did, which was a little odd. I wish everyone in the tea box could try this one, but there is only one teaspoon left: go for it Kiwi (the next person in the teabox), since I know you have something like this on your wishlist! Den’s Fukamidori… I’m debating on adding it to the teabox but it is closing in on the expiration date.
Steep #1 // 40 min after boiling // 3 min
Steep #2 // 25 min after boiling // 3 min

I like this tea. The leaf was pretty and it makes a bright green liquid. It has a different scent and taste. The scent is almost like vanilla. It has a smooth almost vanilla with grass flavor. It does not have a lot of that bitter seaweed flavor. I tasted that flavor in a lot of sencha type tea.

This green tea is the best. My Japanese husband thinks so, too, and his mom is a tea ceremony teacher, so there you have it. It’s pricey, but worth it. We get it every once in a while and buy the less expensive ones in between. A nice treat, and you don’t need much to make a flavorful pot.