2011 Yunnan Menghai Dayi Golden Branch Jade Leaf Loose Ripe Pu’er Tea

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Wow 3 years in the cupboard and I haven't reviewed this one yet. I must be slipping. Since this is a loose or 'maocha' shou I am going with a little less leaf and short steeps as I think it will...” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 156 tasting notes

From menghai dayi(berylleb ebay)

2011 Yunnan Menghai Dayi Golden Branch Jade Leaf Loose Ripe (200g/box)

About menghai dayi(berylleb ebay) View company

1 Tasting Note

Wow 3 years in the cupboard and I haven’t reviewed this one yet. I must be slipping. Since this is a loose or ‘maocha’ shou I am going with a little less leaf and short steeps as I think it will yield quicker. Ten grams in the yixing with a 5 second rinse to it. It brew pretty light in color and an almost mix of apricots or white peaches. It has a slight buttery cocoa like finish to it. Hints of apple also. Apple! I think that is really the closest fruit to it. This one is a complex one. It is also one of the few loose puerhs I have tried. maybe I should explore more. It is really smooth with no “off’” notes and very nice drinking. Nice easy drinking. Nice complexity.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
__Morgana__

What do you recommend in general in terms of leaf to water ratio for pu-erh? I am just now getting brave enough to try some of the ones I have had in my tea cabinet for a while.

mrmopar

Morgana if I use my yixing it holds about 10 oz of water I usually go 12 to 15 grams by weight of compressed tea. If I use loose leaf I usually try 8 to 10 grams. If I go totally gongfu with the gaiwan usually the same measurements but the water ratio is probably about 4 oz when I do this. This is just a personal preference for me. I would just experiment as my parameters may be too strong or weak based on your tastes. I tried varying ways before i hit the “sweet” spot.

__Morgana__

Thanks—sounds like a general rule of thumb might be 1 oz water to 1 gram tea to start and adjust from there.

Tea Pet

Where did you purchase your yixing? Also, this tea sounds AMAZING.

mrmopar

The yixing I used last night was from teh Tea Merchant. It was the mosaic pot they had on sale a while back.

Tea Pet

I remember that pot! So unique!

Terri HarpLady

I like that pot, it reminds me of Alladin’s Lamp :)
My yixings are all tiny 4-5oz size, although there are a few I’ve been drooling over that are 10oz.

JC

That sounds like a nice ripe to try!