2011 Yunnan Menghai Dayi Golden Branch Jade Leaf Loose Ripe Pu’er Tea

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar

• “*Update* the guys below are correct the price I mistakenly thought was for 7 oz is actually for 20 g. Big difference. This is still a very tasty puerh. Still drinking this one again today with...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1293 tasting notes
  • “Wow 3 years in the cupboard and I haven't reviewed this one yet. I must be slipping. Since this is a loose or 'maocha' shou I am going with a little less leaf and short steeps as I think it will...” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 193 tasting notes

From menghai dayi(berylleb ebay)

2011 Yunnan Menghai Dayi Golden Branch Jade Leaf Loose Ripe (200g/box)

About menghai dayi(berylleb ebay) View company

Update the guys below are correct the price I mistakenly thought was for 7 oz is actually for 20 g. Big difference. This is still a very tasty puerh.

Still drinking this one again today with yesterday’s leaf. I only went about 30s with my steep today and it is lighter and more orange in color. Still nicely leather. I looked it up today and there is a sale on it right now $5.12/7 oz with free shipping. That’s crazy cheap and had I not looked and found out this was an inexpensive puerh, I would not have known. If you are interested here is the link (hope I’m allowed to do this): http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Yunnan-Menghai-Dayi-Golden-Branch-Jade-Leaf-Loose-Ripe-Pu-er-Tea-/321166038132

In other news – our new porch is in the works. In preparation I had 3 oak and 2 persimmon trees cut in my front yard to make way. While the chainsaw masters were in my yard, we had 27 ash trees removed + 4 or 5 other trees. The ash trees had beetle infestations and were in various stages of being killed by the bugs. It is a big problem around here.

Not to worry, I still have lots of trees including about 80 persimmon and a couple humongous oak trees. Most of the ones we had cut were 50-70 ft tall. My yard looks like a war zone. I have a couple friends who are going to cut them up for firewood. It may take all summer. sigh.

boychik

You are so lucky to have Persimmon trees. I love persimmons.

Cameron B.

You clearly have a huge yard! Ha ha.

K S

I have two acres. On Google maps I can’t even see my house for the trees. Next time they update the satellite image things should look a lot different.

mrmopar

Persimmons,yum but only after the frost!

mrmopar

You have to use the dropdown menu in the listing. I think that’s for the sample size.

SimpliciTEA

I just checked that link, and the $5.12 is for a 20 gram sample (you have to select the drop down ‘Net Weight’ menu to see that). the 7.05 oz is $24.60. Still, not too bad a price. : )

Stephanie

I’ve never tried a persimmon but I would like to :) I’m jealous of all your trees!

K S

Yeah, as you can tell I don’t ebay. Sorry for the bad info and thanks for catching it guys.

Stephanie my wife hates persimmon pudding (a local favorite) but I used to have a dog that could eat them raw faster than we could pick them up off the ground.

K S

Hey wait, how can you be in southern Indiana and never tried a persimmon? I thought it was required for residency. :)

Wow 3 years in the cupboard and I haven’t reviewed this one yet. I must be slipping. Since this is a loose or ‘maocha’ shou I am going with a little less leaf and short steeps as I think it will yield quicker. Ten grams in the yixing with a 5 second rinse to it. It brew pretty light in color and an almost mix of apricots or white peaches. It has a slight buttery cocoa like finish to it. Hints of apple also. Apple! I think that is really the closest fruit to it. This one is a complex one. It is also one of the few loose puerhs I have tried. maybe I should explore more. It is really smooth with no “off’” notes and very nice drinking. Nice easy drinking. Nice complexity.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
__Morgana__

What do you recommend in general in terms of leaf to water ratio for pu-erh? I am just now getting brave enough to try some of the ones I have had in my tea cabinet for a while.

mrmopar

Morgana if I use my yixing it holds about 10 oz of water I usually go 12 to 15 grams by weight of compressed tea. If I use loose leaf I usually try 8 to 10 grams. If I go totally gongfu with the gaiwan usually the same measurements but the water ratio is probably about 4 oz when I do this. This is just a personal preference for me. I would just experiment as my parameters may be too strong or weak based on your tastes. I tried varying ways before i hit the “sweet” spot.

__Morgana__

Thanks—sounds like a general rule of thumb might be 1 oz water to 1 gram tea to start and adjust from there.

Tea Pet

Where did you purchase your yixing? Also, this tea sounds AMAZING.

mrmopar

The yixing I used last night was from teh Tea Merchant. It was the mosaic pot they had on sale a while back.

Tea Pet

I remember that pot! So unique!

Terri HarpLady

I like that pot, it reminds me of Alladin’s Lamp :)
My yixings are all tiny 4-5oz size, although there are a few I’ve been drooling over that are 10oz.

JC

That sounds like a nice ripe to try!