2011 Menghai Dayi "100 year" tribute cake

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar

2 Images

• “Well this is one of those "special" pu erhs that lives up to its reputation. This tea brews dark as in a heavy fermented tea and exhibits the characteristics of a much older shou. It has a touch of...” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 213 tasting notes
  • “Continuing with this one.... I've enjoyed this puer over the last four days. Each session relies upon the original 5g of tea for 3 steeps with 3-4oz of boiling water then each steep is dumped...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 291 tasting notes
  • “First a big thank you to *mrmopar*, whose tasting notes made me aware of this shu and whose guidance steered me to a reputable seller. This is, without a doubt, the finest shu I have tasted to...” Read full tasting note
    TeaExplorer 20 tasting notes
  • “mmmmmm *boychik* sent this one my way and ive been saving it for a day when i could drink it all day long! :) Rather than take a long series of notes on this, i wanted to just sit and enjoy it. ...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5241 tasting notes

From Menghai Tea Factory (berylleb on ebay)

In 2011, Dayi Tea Factory developed the tea to commemorate a hundred years anniversary of 1911 Revolution. The tea cake is made from high grade exquisite tea leaves, which are elegant and stretched with gold hairs. It brews a thick bright red broth, the taste is smooth and mellow with high pure and aged aroma. It is one of high grade Pu’er tea products.

About Menghai Tea Factory (berylleb on ebay) View company

Well this is one of those “special” pu erhs that lives up to its reputation. This tea brews dark as in a heavy fermented tea and exhibits the characteristics of a much older shou. It has a touch of dryness with a hint of woodiness that is followed by a sweet caramel molasses note. it has a hint of a peach taste at the very end that really works in this tea. I was really afraid to try this one and give notes on it as I was afraid it would be further than my simple notes to elaborate on it. All in all, well worth the cost. multiple flavor notes and very reminiscent of some small ultra high grade teas offered by some sellers we have in the US. If I hadn’t known it was a big factory production I would have argued adamantly that this was a small production. It will get a top rating as this one has all the things I like in a shou. I am really glad I bought 2 of these.

Terri HarpLady

And where did you purchase it ?

NofarS

Do tell

mrmopar Terri I got it sourced from a seller on Aliexpress. Here is a link to it http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/GRANDNESS-Revolution-of-1911-Anniversary-2011yr-Menghai-Dayi-RIPE-Pu-Erh-Tea-100-Genuine-Quality/215539_756620734.html. There are sellers that are cheaper than this but you have to watch as there are lots of fake Dayi products over there. Dayi is pretty consistent on the wrapping and tagging of their cakes. If you see one cheaper send me a link before you get it and I will hopefully know its real before you commit to purchasing it. The link is for a genuine cake.
Terri HarpLady

That’s because you are awesome! Of course, I’m not suppose to be buying any tea right now… :)

mrmopar

I wont tell if you get one! I had to sneak my last order in……

TeaExplorer

Can you confirm the link? When I click on it, the URL you show appears in the browser’s address bar for a brief second then I get redirected to a URL that is almost the same, except the “yr” is missing after “2011”. It’s possible the seller simply updated the page and created the redirect themselves, but I’d like to be sure before committing to buy. Thanks!

mrmopar

TeaExplorer, I just followed you also so we can message each other.

Rich

Hello folks,
mrmopar, I am tempted to purchase this based on your recommendation, and the other great reviews. I followed the link above and it looks like the cake is available. Can you confirm that this is the seller you’ve used? Looks like Grandness?

I also want to take this opportunity to thank you for all of your wonderful and detailed tea tasting notes! I find them helpful as I learn more about shu.

mrmopar

Rdeitz, I can’t take a whole lot of credit for anything. I am still learning and hope to always do so. Lots of people here helped me along when I first joined and I am trying to continue the tradition just with puerh! Just messaged you a link.

CelebriTEA

Sounds like a fabulous Pu erh :-)

Continuing with this one….
I’ve enjoyed this puer over the last four days. Each session relies upon the original 5g of tea for 3 steeps with 3-4oz of boiling water then each steep is dumped into a 12 oz travel mug to be enjoyed throughout the afternoon.

2nd day: Still sweet (but less so now); nice chestnut color.
3rd day: A certain amount of earthiness is now creeping in; no longer as rich and sweet.
4th day: Much lighter color even after 8 min steeps; mild yet pleasant woodsy flavor; enjoyable but not much left to give here.

I took the same leaves through 12 steeps and it held up quite well. I’ve been working off a sample and I think I have enough to do this again soon. As for the full cake, I think I’m going to age it for another year and let the deliciousness continue to grow. I’ll look forward to celebrating the beginning of 2015 with it. Highly recommend this Shou!

TeaExplorer

Mine has been enroute for a week. Waiting sucks, but I’m looking forward to comparing notes with others who have had this.

mrmopar

Its a good one for sure! TeaExplorer hope yours arrives soon. I think my last order has been in Chicago sort facility for 4 days now. I think it is the weather keeping it still.

First a big thank you to mrmopar, whose tasting notes made me aware of this shu and whose guidance steered me to a reputable seller.

This is, without a doubt, the finest shu I have tasted to date. Rounded and full, powerful in the early steeps, but not overbearing and never bitter or astringent. Notes of leather, cedar, chicory, minerals, mushrooms, citrus and pepper make appearances in various combinations as the steeps progress, with each taking a turn at prominence yet never overshadowing the others. The aroma is refined and never funky. My notes show a range of earthy scents (clean damp earth, loamy earth, hints of peat, fresh rain, clean wet hay) with an underlying sweetness throughout. The liquor runs the gamut of reds, from nearly opaque through ruby, and will transition to a deep amber if you give it enough steeps.

It seems to benefit from adequate leaf quantity and fairly short steeps. Although I have not come up with a definitive Gong Fu regimen for this, I’m leaning towards a baseline of 6 grams per 100 ml (scaled up linearly to my pot size at 7.8 grams and 130 ml). I use 212 F water, give it a single 15 second rinse and a 2 minute pause to allow the leaves to begin to open up. My steeps run 15 / 6 / 8 / 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 seconds, with the first steep running a little long to allow the tea to finish opening up.

This is one shu I’ll buy more of to give a couple of cakes time to age. Absolutely stunning IMO.

Boiling
boychik

Wow. I still didn’t have a chance to try. I need peace and quiet. Maybe after this weekend. I really enjoy the samples you send me and placed a small order from Puerhshop , just couldn’t wait;)

TeaExplorer

You should have enough for about 3 Gong Fu sessions in the sample I sent. This is a good shu for quiet contemplation. It does have a moderately high Qi that I start to feel around steep 4 or 5, so it may not be good late at night.

mmmmmm boychik sent this one my way and ive been saving it for a day when i could drink it all day long! :) Rather than take a long series of notes on this, i wanted to just sit and enjoy it. Overall impressions – this is a fantastic puerh! I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a great journey.

this was a bold, strong tea to begin with and lasted for maaaaaaany maaaany steeps. Initial steeps were sort of earthy but also sweet and smooth. i picked up leathery notes and what i guess i would call sort of citrusy? i think i’m going to have to track this one down and pick up a cake. thank you so much boychik. I’ve really loved some of these fantastic offerings you sent my way!

boychik

yay! its an excellent pu. i got it fr Aliexpress, cheaper than on ebay. and its very good seller, mrmpar approved. let me know if you want a link ;)

mrmopar

I like this one a lot Sil. I have 3. One for me , one for me..oh I said that, and one for the grand-son. He likes it as well.

boychik – may take you up on that in a few weeks. lol i’m trying to get through more of my puerh since i still have a lot of samples kicking around and want to get through those so i can start picking up cakes lol don’t tell my other half haha

boychik

Just now ups truck was passing by and my hubby says : “oh look mommy getting new tea”. The truck didn’t stop. I demanded an apology ;)

mrmopar

Sil if you ever need to know where to get any puerh let me know. I know most of the sellers.

boychik – hahahaha
mrmopar – i will likely take you up on that eventually. esp if it involves aliexpress…that place overwhelms me like nobody’s business

mrmopar

boychick, I bet you had it forwarded to a neighbor (:

boychik

I need to find someone, mrmopar :D

mrmopar

Don’t feel alone. I have a box stashed in between the couch cushions that I haven’t had a chance to move in the tea room yet.

It has been months since I first tried this shu sample from boychik, but I have been thinking about it a lot lately, and remembering it as one of the best shu puerhs I’ve ever had. I only have a couple of servings left but I had to have some today to see if it is as good as I remember it…and also to ask if ANYONE knows how I can get more of this cake? I’ve searched online and I guess it is sold out. Sadness!

I know there will always be new puerhs to try and fall in love with though, maybe someday ones even better than this one.

I am only on steep #1 right now but it is all velvety smoothness and cocoa richness…ahhhhh :)

boychik

I’m so glad you still like it. I’ll pm you later

DigniTea

Have you purchased cakes from Aliexpress? You need to be careful of the sellers and look out for fake products. I did not purchase mine here but this particular seller has been a good one for me in the past and they still list the 100 Year Revolution shu on their site (although I notice the price has definitely increased).

Stephanie

Thank you both! :)

DigniTea

Boychik’s seller offers a great price. If the tag on the back is authentic, definitely go for this one!

boychik

Looks authentic to me. But what do I know. I heard they are very creative with tags

mrmopar

Ada on the site boychick posted is agood seller. I would just email her and make sure she can get this at the same price as it has jumped since we bought it. She always has the real stuff in what I purchased from her.

mrmopar

Forgot to add, if she doesn’t have it available I still know a couple of other sources.

Stephanie

Awesome. You guys rock!

boychik

the price is the same as i bought in Feb

A very pleasant smooth and mellow medium-heavy shu. When mrmopar gives a 100, one takes notice! So I bought a cake based on his and the other reviews. I liked it quite a bit, but maybe not quite as much as others. It goes down easy. I did not find much complexity in the flavor, but it is quite soothing.

I’d like to thank Tea Explorer for sending me a generous sample of this one!!
6G + 4oz yixing (rinse) X 15sec/30sec…etc….

I started sipping on this hours ago, & am still enjoying it. This is one of those rich & deep Shu’s that remind me of Boston Brown bread. I’ve never ordered to from Berylleb, yet…

Good seller.

Terri HarpLady

I know! I keep reading your posts, & a few others, & I just need people to go buy more of my CDs from my webpage, so I’ll have more money in my Paypal account to spend! :)