2011 Menghai Dayi "100 year" tribute cake

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar

2 Images

• “Well this is one of those "special" pu erhs that lives up to its reputation. This tea brews dark as in a heavy fermented tea and exhibits the characteristics of a much older shou. It has a touch of...” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 156 tasting notes
  • “Continuing with this one.... I've enjoyed this puer over the last four days. Each session relies upon the original 5g of tea for 3 steeps with 3-4oz of boiling water then each steep is dumped...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 306 tasting notes
  • “First a big thank you to *mrmopar*, whose tasting notes made me aware of this shu and whose guidance steered me to a reputable seller. This is, without a doubt, the finest shu I have tasted to...” Read full tasting note
    TeaExplorer 16 tasting notes
  • “A very pleasant smooth and mellow medium-heavy shu. When mrmopar gives a 100, one takes notice! So I bought a cake based on his and the other reviews. I liked it quite a bit, but maybe not quite as...” Read full tasting note
    Rdeitz 17 tasting notes

From Menghai Tea Factory (berylleb on ebay)

In 2011, Dayi Tea Factory developed the tea to commemorate a hundred years anniversary of 1911 Revolution. The tea cake is made from high grade exquisite tea leaves, which are elegant and stretched with gold hairs. It brews a thick bright red broth, the taste is smooth and mellow with high pure and aged aroma. It is one of high grade Pu’er tea products.

About Menghai Tea Factory (berylleb on ebay) View company

Well this is one of those “special” pu erhs that lives up to its reputation. This tea brews dark as in a heavy fermented tea and exhibits the characteristics of a much older shou. It has a touch of dryness with a hint of woodiness that is followed by a sweet caramel molasses note. it has a hint of a peach taste at the very end that really works in this tea. I was really afraid to try this one and give notes on it as I was afraid it would be further than my simple notes to elaborate on it. All in all, well worth the cost. multiple flavor notes and very reminiscent of some small ultra high grade teas offered by some sellers we have in the US. If I hadn’t known it was a big factory production I would have argued adamantly that this was a small production. It will get a top rating as this one has all the things I like in a shou. I am really glad I bought 2 of these.

Terri HarpLady

And where did you purchase it ?

NofarS

Do tell

mrmopar Terri I got it sourced from a seller on Aliexpress. Here is a link to it http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/GRANDNESS-Revolution-of-1911-Anniversary-2011yr-Menghai-Dayi-RIPE-Pu-Erh-Tea-100-Genuine-Quality/215539_756620734.html. There are sellers that are cheaper than this but you have to watch as there are lots of fake Dayi products over there. Dayi is pretty consistent on the wrapping and tagging of their cakes. If you see one cheaper send me a link before you get it and I will hopefully know its real before you commit to purchasing it. The link is for a genuine cake.
Terri HarpLady

That’s because you are awesome! Of course, I’m not suppose to be buying any tea right now… :)

mrmopar

I wont tell if you get one! I had to sneak my last order in……

TeaExplorer

Can you confirm the link? When I click on it, the URL you show appears in the browser’s address bar for a brief second then I get redirected to a URL that is almost the same, except the “yr” is missing after “2011”. It’s possible the seller simply updated the page and created the redirect themselves, but I’d like to be sure before committing to buy. Thanks!

mrmopar

TeaExplorer, I just followed you also so we can message each other.

Rich

Hello folks,
mrmopar, I am tempted to purchase this based on your recommendation, and the other great reviews. I followed the link above and it looks like the cake is available. Can you confirm that this is the seller you’ve used? Looks like Grandness?

I also want to take this opportunity to thank you for all of your wonderful and detailed tea tasting notes! I find them helpful as I learn more about shu.

mrmopar

Rdeitz, I can’t take a whole lot of credit for anything. I am still learning and hope to always do so. Lots of people here helped me along when I first joined and I am trying to continue the tradition just with puerh! Just messaged you a link.

CelebriTEA

Sounds like a fabulous Pu erh :-)

Continuing with this one….
I’ve enjoyed this puer over the last four days. Each session relies upon the original 5g of tea for 3 steeps with 3-4oz of boiling water then each steep is dumped into a 12 oz travel mug to be enjoyed throughout the afternoon.

2nd day: Still sweet (but less so now); nice chestnut color.
3rd day: A certain amount of earthiness is now creeping in; no longer as rich and sweet.
4th day: Much lighter color even after 8 min steeps; mild yet pleasant woodsy flavor; enjoyable but not much left to give here.

I took the same leaves through 12 steeps and it held up quite well. I’ve been working off a sample and I think I have enough to do this again soon. As for the full cake, I think I’m going to age it for another year and let the deliciousness continue to grow. I’ll look forward to celebrating the beginning of 2015 with it. Highly recommend this Shou!

TeaExplorer

Mine has been enroute for a week. Waiting sucks, but I’m looking forward to comparing notes with others who have had this.

mrmopar

Its a good one for sure! TeaExplorer hope yours arrives soon. I think my last order has been in Chicago sort facility for 4 days now. I think it is the weather keeping it still.

First a big thank you to mrmopar, whose tasting notes made me aware of this shu and whose guidance steered me to a reputable seller.

This is, without a doubt, the finest shu I have tasted to date. Rounded and full, powerful in the early steeps, but not overbearing and never bitter or astringent. Notes of leather, cedar, chicory, minerals, mushrooms, citrus and pepper make appearances in various combinations as the steeps progress, with each taking a turn at prominence yet never overshadowing the others. The aroma is refined and never funky. My notes show a range of earthy scents (clean damp earth, loamy earth, hints of peat, fresh rain, clean wet hay) with an underlying sweetness throughout. The liquor runs the gamut of reds, from nearly opaque through ruby, and will transition to a deep amber if you give it enough steeps.

It seems to benefit from adequate leaf quantity and fairly short steeps. Although I have not come up with a definitive Gong Fu regimen for this, I’m leaning towards a baseline of 6 grams per 100 ml (scaled up linearly to my pot size at 7.8 grams and 130 ml). I use 212 F water, give it a single 15 second rinse and a 2 minute pause to allow the leaves to begin to open up. My steeps run 15 / 6 / 8 / 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 seconds, with the first steep running a little long to allow the tea to finish opening up.

This is one shu I’ll buy more of to give a couple of cakes time to age. Absolutely stunning IMO.

Boiling
boychik

Wow. I still didn’t have a chance to try. I need peace and quiet. Maybe after this weekend. I really enjoy the samples you send me and placed a small order from Puerhshop , just couldn’t wait;)

TeaExplorer

You should have enough for about 3 Gong Fu sessions in the sample I sent. This is a good shu for quiet contemplation. It does have a moderately high Qi that I start to feel around steep 4 or 5, so it may not be good late at night.

A very pleasant smooth and mellow medium-heavy shu. When mrmopar gives a 100, one takes notice! So I bought a cake based on his and the other reviews. I liked it quite a bit, but maybe not quite as much as others. It goes down easy. I did not find much complexity in the flavor, but it is quite soothing.

I’d like to thank Tea Explorer for sending me a generous sample of this one!!
6G + 4oz yixing (rinse) X 15sec/30sec…etc….

I started sipping on this hours ago, & am still enjoying it. This is one of those rich & deep Shu’s that remind me of Boston Brown bread. I’ve never ordered to from Berylleb, yet…

Good seller.

Terri HarpLady

I know! I keep reading your posts, & a few others, & I just need people to go buy more of my CDs from my webpage, so I’ll have more money in my Paypal account to spend! :)