Pu-erh Tea
Creamy, Leather, Raisins
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar

• “Oh man, this is good! I snagged this tea out of the Here's Hoping Teabox. This pu'er is really mellow with a sweet cedar taste end of sip. There is a lingering aftertaste of earthy that is...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1011 tasting notes
  • “bought this to compare with my 2009 mengai red rhyme. great flavor notes all of the fermented taste is gone leaving a great rich flavor from the tip of your tongue to the back. very rich flavor...” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 185 tasting notes
  • “Yummy yummy. Menghai makes some good tea. I tell you what, I think this might be the best Shou I've tasted so far. There's different kind of Shou for different kind of folks. For me, this is...” Read full tasting note
    weegeebee1 16 tasting notes

From Menghai Tea Factory(obtained from mandala tea)

a knock your socks off small 100 gram dayi cake. got this from mandala tea.

About Menghai Tea Factory(obtained from mandala tea) View company

Oh man, this is good!

I snagged this tea out of the Here’s Hoping Teabox. This pu’er is really mellow with a sweet cedar taste end of sip. There is a lingering aftertaste of earthy that is really good. No fermentation taste, not mushroomy or smokey. I could be convinced to buy a cake of this, crap, and I just did a Mandala order too. Oh well, next order then.

My husband (he doesn’t like tea) said this one tastes like overly strong chinese restaurant tea. LOL

mrmopar

I just started on a brewing of this Friday and on a cup now. Is there a government conspiracy or something I need to know about? LOL!

mrmopar

The 2010 version of this tea got me started into puerh.

Awkward Soul

I’m still working on this pu’er, it just keeps going with just slight changes to flavor. Yeah, for my first shu cake I was eyeing all Menghais – this one, the purple rhyme and a yellow 100g one, and I ended up with the yellow one, kinda wish I got all 3 lol! (I still need to try the yellow one)

Terri HarpLady

I’ve been eyeing the 3 pack… And the patty cake II … And….

mrmopar

Menghai is pretty good tea. They take a lot of steps to insure their product is not “forged”. If you need any tips or help hit me up I have a small puerh stock and may be able to direct you to some good ones.

bought this to compare with my 2009 mengai red rhyme. great flavor notes all of the fermented taste is gone leaving a great rich flavor from the tip of your tongue to the back. very rich flavor hard to describe not earthy like many pu-erhs almost like a mellowed out keemun. i have a 2009 and if it ages like this one i will like it even more. i think this ranks up there with the 2009 menghai dayi red rhyme and i think there will be another one of these cakes to serve as a backup stash soon. i have not tried secondary infusions but i am sure they will be just as good.

Bonnie

Wow, you rarely write this much about a Pu so it must really be good!

mrmopar

bonnie i am really impressed by this one i think this will be a go to staple in my cupboard.

Bonnie

Make sure you put a ribbon on it so you can find it in your stash of jewels!!!

Bonnie

(What’s your address again and what time do you go to work?)

mrmopar

you will have to wait on the addy till i can get you another package of pu-erh out,but i have a couple in mind. i got a sample of jade dew from mandala(ripe) checked the site to get some and they were sold out. so i went on a quest for it and found it. the jade dew is awesome too and when i get a full cake we are going to do some tasting notes on it. sound like a deal? hope you have a great night. if you can does the tea shop you go to in your hometown have a web site? if so can you hook me up with it? thanks!

mrmopar

forgot it is happy luckys i think.

Bonnie

What is happy lucky’s? You’re confusing me. Oh, you can call and order right now and they ship out but they’re expanding the store (remodeling the back) and creating a website and adding more tea’s and such to coordinate with the shop anniversary (that’s what they tell me). I give lots of input to them on what Steepster’s like as far as service and all.

Bonnie

I could send some. I have a small mailer that I could put some in.

Yummy yummy. Menghai makes some good tea.

I tell you what, I think this might be the best Shou I’ve tasted so far. There’s different kind of Shou for different kind of folks.

For me, this is what I like. No funkiness, very little wood, slight hit of sweetness, smooth and creamy.

Wet leaves are just like freshly polished shoe leather. You get a little bit of that in the flavor. Cake is real tight but I got off a nice couple chunks with a knife.

This is all good and a quality product from Mandala.

Flavors: Creamy, Leather, Raisins