Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar

• “moving this up a notch. the flavors really come out in the later infusions. it keeps getting better and better. i purchased a 2006 7572 cake at the same time as this one,but this is hands down the...” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 195 tasting notes
  • “I am getting really frustrated with myself when it comes to this puerh stuff. I have some of the best stuff out there thanks to a wonderful tea benefactor and I can’t seem to appreciate it. I’ve...” Read full tasting note
    Littleelle 268 tasting notes

From Menghai Tea Factory( purchased from berylleb ebay)

This product uses the leftover nubs of fermented teas from previous years. The nubs, clumps of teas that could not be untangled, are mixed together and steam pressed into fat bricks. It yields a strong, smooth flavor, and the tea can be brewed many times.

About Menghai Tea Factory( purchased from berylleb ebay) View company

moving this up a notch. the flavors really come out in the later infusions. it keeps getting better and better. i purchased a 2006 7572 cake at the same time as this one,but this is hands down the winner in my book and i am off to ebay to get another.

sorry compared to a 7562 cake not a 7572

Bonnie

Wow that’s a high rating for you!

Bonnie

Better as in how? What does it taste like?

mrmopar

it is like an aged pu-er even though it is a young brick. it is very smooth and mellow, gives a great color and i think i have brewed it 4 times now and the flavor is still there.

mrmopar

i found a 2010 cake of the same and it will soon be in my cupboard!

I am getting really frustrated with myself when it comes to this puerh stuff. I have some of the best stuff out there thanks to a wonderful tea benefactor and I can’t seem to appreciate it. I’ve finally made it past the “no thank you” stage and I am at the “if I must” stage.

Some tea people I trust are encouraging and swear they felt the same at the beginning and now they love it but man, how long does it take? I’ve been trying on and off for MONTHS.

But since we are talking about THIS particular one here, I am on my third steep, 1 minute western style for each steeps, plus a rinse at the beginning. The first two steeps the cake remained quite packed, it only now broke apart into what I recognize as loose tea (as opposed to a block). It is still very very dark, I am quite curious as to how long this is going to last. I’m going to keep at it until I taste chocolate, or something other than musty barnyard clothes.

Previous note says the flavour came out in later steeps. I hope so because right now it just sort of tastes like I’m sucking on a snow-soaked wool mitten. I must say it does not taste fishy which is an improvement but it still smells so. Last night I jokingly “offered” my cup to the dog we’re dogsitting, holding in out for her to sniff. No word of a lie, she turned her head and curled her lip. And she usually reacts quite differently when offered things from out cups and plates. :)

PS. this does not pair well with avocado which I happened to have a small amount of since I’m chopping it. I’m sure this morsel of info will be helpful to so many :)

MissB

“snow-soaked wool mitten” Jeepers. You’re much more forgiving than I!

TheTeaFairy

LMAO! How did you ever come up with snow-soaked wool mitten? The worst part is I do remember what they taste like!!!

Nxtdoor

Fairy… I loved snow as a kid. I would be out there for HOURS, my poor mom pleading me to go inside and when I did, my gloves would be soaked, all of me would be soaked. And yes, I’ve sucked on my mittens many, many times.