2007 Menghai Dayi Golden Needle White Lotus Ripe Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 6 oz / 185 ml

• “In the middle of a rare gongfu session with this lovely tea this evening--I usually do it by the thermos full, to share with a group of colleagues during an afternoon clinic. Gongfu brings out the...” Read full tasting note
    teaddict 311 tasting notes
  • “In many ways it is a shame that Menghai Golden Needle White Lotus ripe puerh has been hyped up so much online. It is a very good ripe puerh but not the best that I have encountered although to its...” Read full tasting note
    JohnGrebe 223 tasting notes
  • “Flash rinse, then short infusions. The taste is satisfying, but the first three brews smelled very, uhm, fishy. The fourth onwards were alright. I think I'll let this one air out a bit more to...” Read full tasting note
    pimli 46 tasting notes
  • “Quite a smooth, mellow, and sweet shou. For me, this probably ranks a bit under the 2011 Menghai Dayi 100 Tribute shou. Nothing I have had so far has been able to top that. Still, this is such a...” Read full tasting note
    TeaPet 488 tasting notes

From Menghai Tea Factory

This is a classic ultra-premium recipe from Menghai tea factory! The 2005 release has become a legend among Ripe Pu-erhs and has increased in value by more than 500% in just 4 years! The recipe uses already aged high grade Ripe pu-erh and brews an aromatic, rich and creamy. A superb Da Yi ripe tea, semi-aged!

About Menghai Tea Factory View company

In the middle of a rare gongfu session with this lovely tea this evening—I usually do it by the thermos full, to share with a group of colleagues during an afternoon clinic. Gongfu brings out the variations in flavor well, and this is one shu that stands up to this. I’m into about the 8th or so infusion, and there are notes of honey, apricot, caramel, delicious.

In many ways it is a shame that Menghai Golden Needle White Lotus ripe puerh has been hyped up so much online. It is a very good ripe puerh but not the best that I have encountered although to its credit it is better than most. I think the best thing about this puerh is its overall balance and lack of rough edges and an enjoyable but complex taste that can be hard to nail down into words although I’d say more of soft wood and not dirt. It has a medium level fermentation which has more body than many of the lighter ones but stops short of the strong malty taste that some of the heavier fermentation brings. Also as others have mentioned before this tea has really good staying power for a ripe puerh but as always the number of infusions you can get from the leaves depends upon how strong you like your tea but you will get more than normal for this one.

Flash rinse, then short infusions. The taste is satisfying, but the first three brews smelled very, uhm, fishy. The fourth onwards were alright. I think I’ll let this one air out a bit more to adjust to my climate. Then will try again. ^^

Quite a smooth, mellow, and sweet shou. For me, this probably ranks a bit under the 2011 Menghai Dayi 100 Tribute shou. Nothing I have had so far has been able to top that. Still, this is such a gentle yet flavorful tea that it truly deserves to be experienced with few distractions. Subtly complex. Incredibly sweet and creamy throat.

I chose to try this out while watching the latest episode of Korra (episode 10) and boy, was that a great choice! By far the best episode of Korra ever produced. It was everything. When I met Sifu Kisu (the martial artist who comes up with all of the bending) he talked a bit about the upcoming Korra episodes and explained that there are some great things in store. This episode was without a doubt one of the things he was talking about. And pairing experiencing such a great show with experiencing such a great tea equaled one of the best mornings I’ve had in a very long time.

boychik

It’s more expensive than 100 tribute.

Tea Pet

Ugh… I deleted my comment by accident.

Yeah. There is so much hype about the Golden Needle White Lotus teas. I think that excitement around them has probably played a part in the high pricing and the amount of fakes that are produced. With that said, I would like to try some of the other years, however, I doubt I will ever buy full cakes of them. I’d much rather spend my money on some 100 tributes! :)

boychik

I ordered some Golden Needle White Lotus Yubang
I think Rich said it was good. Still awaiting since end of June . They probably use sea turtles for delivery ;)

mrmopar

The tribute is a good one. I really like it.

This variety is often touted as one of the best ripe pu-erh’s out there, but I must say it did not live up to the hype. That’s not to say this tea is not good, in fact it is very good, but not the best. I have had 5-10 variteies that I enjoy more, but the Golden Needle White Lotus is indeed an excellent tea. For me it’s lacking in complexity. The tea liquor is smooth and sweet and goes down with almost no effort or resistence. The taste is slightly malty, sweet, with very little earthy taste. Again, there is very little complexity which was disappointing, but this is still a top notch Dayi tea. At the price though… I’m not sure I’ll be buying another cake. I’ll just ration out the one I have now. :)

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 6 OZ / 185 ML