2010 Menghai Dayi "7562" Ripe Pu-erh Tea Brick

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar

• “I've always wanted to own one of these 7562 bricks although I can't quite tell you why. I've heard so many things about them and people owning ones that age very well over time. I've never had a...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2168 tasting notes
  • “Last night I felt like having a Pu-erh, so I chose this one. *Thank You Amy Oh* for such a nice one. :)) I don't usually do this, but I did read Amy's review before typing this. I used half of...” Read full tasting note
    ScottTeaMan 101 tasting notes
  • “This is one smooth tea even being a new shu. The first infusion is a creamy almost vanilla flavor that completely fills the mouth coating it with a viscous cream sensation. Infusion number two...” Read full tasting note
    beankrom 29 tasting notes
  • “Not too much to be overly impressed by in this Dayi ripe puerh brick. A typical ripe puerh with a slightly malty taste to it. Well suited as a cheaper everyday casual drinking ripe puerh, that...” Read full tasting note
    JohnGrebe 215 tasting notes

From Menghai Tea Factory

Like Dayi 7572 tea cake, Dayi 7562 brick sets the standard for ripen Pu-erh tea brick. Many value this brick at a higher place than famous CNNP 7581 brick. The oily, bright surface of the brick shows a quality finish, you can be sure the taste is equally impressive with a pure ‘Menghai’ aroma, the yummy stuff!

About Menghai Tea Factory View company

I’ve always wanted to own one of these 7562 bricks although I can’t quite tell you why. I’ve heard so many things about them and people owning ones that age very well over time. I’ve never had a brick that is so tightly packed before and, having no idea how to break it apart I immediately began attacking it with a kitchen knife, making a big mess. There must be a better way – a chisel?

My cup is elegant with no strange odors in my opinion. The tea is very smooth and dark with a creamy, malty and chocolate-y element. I am enjoying it. I’m a newbie to Menghai pu-erhs but am already a fan of this one. Definitely a good purchase for the price, I got mine from Puershop.com for $11.95 and that will make a lot of tea!

Doug F

I’ve had good luck with the puerhshop and Menghai teas as well.

TeaBrat

@Triumph – Menghai seems to have a good reputation. Have you ever had to chisel tea out of a brick?

Charles Thomas Draper

They sell special knives and picks….

Apparently I need one!

Doug F

Luckily I have one of those special picks (I’ve broken a couple) because I’ve had a few ripe cakes that had become pretty impenetrable.

ashmanra

I know purepuer.com sells puer picks and knives. Want!

TeaBrat

maybe I’ll find one at the SF international tea festival I’m going to tomorrow…

ScottTeaMan

Hey, I remember reading about the festival. How was it?? Lucky dog! :))

TeaBrat

not that great in my opinion, but worth checking out

hhMMM…WHY NOT SO GREAT?

Last night I felt like having a Pu-erh, so I chose this one. Thank You Amy Oh for such a nice one. :)) I don’t usually do this, but I did read Amy’s review before typing this.

I used half of the sample in my glass press for this tasting, and I was struck by how sweet the wet leaves smelled! Maybe it’s because I haven’t had a Shu in quite a while, but they seemed sweeter than the usual pu-erh, and also had a light mushroom aroma. Am I the only one who noticed a purplish hued liquid at the bottom of my tea press??

My first cup probably could have been steeped a little longer, but I still got a rather dark cup with that purplish tea color around the cup. It smelled of light mushrooms. The flavor was light mushroom-like, smooth and sweet.

In my next tasting the wet leaves smelled like burnt sugar or brown sugar and sweeter. The cup was darker as was that hue I noted in the first cup. Aromas were deeper mushroom sweetness, & nothing but smooth, full, and delicious. :)) [1 minute at 180F].

I must admit, it was after midnight when I started cupping this Shu. I don’t know if they have more caffeine, but it seemed like it, because I was really wide awake and had trouble sleeping through the night. Caffeine usually doesn’t keep me awake! :// I didn’t want to let the tea sit until morning, so I had one more cup.

My last cup was steeped the longest, & the leaves smelled deeply of mushrooms and the sweetness wasn’t noticeable. The cup was darkest (purplish ring), and…….what can I say? Mushrooms anyone??! This was also the prominent flavor, while remaining so smooth and sweet on my palate! [5 minutes at 212F].

In my limited Shu experience, this Menghai Pu-erh was the best overall. The sweetness in aroma and flavor was great! I love the smoothness in every cup. I agree with Amy that there was no funky aromas or tastes, and that made this tea special IMHO. I wasn’t finding the chocolate aspects though Amy.

Look for an add-on to this review as I steep the rest of the sample soon. Note to self: No more late night Pu-erh tastings, unless I want to stay up all night! Thanks again Amy for a great Shu experience. :))

Cupped & Reviewed: Thursday, July 5, 2012.

Bonnie

Those flavors sound so good! Go ahead, fall asleep and you’ll find the pu’erh burglar has nabbed it from under your nose!

TeaBrat

I’m glad you liked this one! I agree the Menghai factory has some great pu-erhs. I think they are one of the largest factories and they have a great reputation.

ScottTeaMan

Lots of the tea bushes are protected by the Chinese Gov’t, and I think that protects and maintains quality.

mrmopar just ordered one of these. thanks for the review.
ScottTeaMan

I try to be as honest as I can in my reviews, while trying tomake them interesting. Thanks Mrmopar. :))

This is one smooth tea even being a new shu. The first infusion is a creamy almost vanilla flavor that completely fills the mouth coating it with a viscous cream sensation. Infusion number two brings out some cherry tobacco notes. I would also argue that a coffee drinker might enjoy this tea due to it’s viscous heady nature. The color is beautiful reddish brown almost the same color as my yixing pot. However the party lasts a short time as this tea gives it all and is finished by the 4th infusion.

Not too much to be overly impressed by in this Dayi ripe puerh brick. A typical ripe puerh with a slightly malty taste to it. Well suited as a cheaper everyday casual drinking ripe puerh, that falls into the good upper middle range but falls short of the exceptional upper end ripe puerh.

StaLLZee

Definitely – it is not a “rock star”, but good for everyday!

I do not own that many bricks, but this is a favorite cooked puer brick of mine. I think I still like the 7572 puer cake better, but this is a still super lovely!! I always have one in my cupboard

I am not entirely sure I am reviewing this in the correct place. This was given to me and mine has “Love of Dayi” on the bag in addition to 2010 Menghai Brick.

I love little brickettes and touchas. I don’t have to figure out how much to use. This one is quite solid. Even after steeping for 45 seconds. I’ll be spending a lot of time with it tomorrow. After steeping the aroma is kind of 4-H barn. But the taste is really nice. It is horse tack and cedar. Smooth as silk. There are no rough edges that need tamed here. Very easy to sip of chug if you are so inclined. Kind of sweet. Me and my Splenda monkey like that. A very enjoyable pu’erh.

Christina

Which vendors do you prefer buying pu’erh from? I had a pu’erh tea earlier this week that I really enjoyed, but have so little knowledge that I don’t know where to go next. I took a look at the Yunnan Sourcing site but they have so many options that it’s overwhelming.

gmathis

Nice to have a fellow Steepie who knows what a 4H barn smells like! Had to run farm errands for my Dad today and got nostalgic whiffs at the MFA grain elevator and Orscheln Farm Supply. Can’t replicate those smells anywhere. (And they had baby bunnies and chicks!)

K S

Christina – head over to the discussion forum and ask the bunch in the “Puerh of the day: Sheng or Shou” thread. They know what they are talking about. I just get lucky.

Gmathis – would miss the 4-H barn, its accompanied by elephant ears and pork burgers. Orscheln – I didn’t realize it was a chain (there is one just a couple miles from my house, but yes to bunnies and chicks!

boychik

Christina, YS is amazing. So is Puerhshop.com. But you should do some hw. I suggest you to follow mrmopar notes. I learned a lot fr his notes.

Dunno… maybe I got a bad one or it still needs to develop. The aftertaste was kinda sour a year ago and its only a bit less so now. It did develop some spicyness though so I think I’ll let it wait a year more…