Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea

• “My, my, my - ain't this fine? A very generous Steepsterite provided me with a sample of this delightful sheng. *Sarsonator* and I were saying this morning we were going to search out teas with...” Read full tasting note
    mzpriss 145 tasting notes
  • “We have the great fortune to learn of sellers of very fine puerh through Steepster (and other tea blogs/sites). As a result, we are each able to enjoy some excellent teas. This 2006 LBZ from...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 301 tasting notes

From Mengku Shuangjiang Tea Factory (Yunnan Sourcing)

2006 Fall Lao Ban Zhang Raw 400g
Members of the Mengku Tea Factory made an expedition to remote are near Banzhang mountain to obtain the leaves for these cakes. The leaves are from trees 400 to 500 years old that were heavily cut during the Cultural Revolution. The trunk is still intact and in the 35 years since the trees have continued to grow and produce excellent quality Pu-erh with that special Banzhang taste and penetrating perfume-likearoma. When brewed is golden yellow and takes 15 or more infusions,each infusion with it’s own taste and gradually less bitter and ineffably sweet.

The cakes are made from the highest grade Ban Zhang raw material and are entirely Fall 2006 production. The price of premium Ban Zhang raw material has surpassed other tea mountains, because it is the most sought after. Many producers use just 10% to 20% Ban Zhang material to give their blended cakes enough “oomph” to make them taste good.A little more background. I have known these sellers since 2005. They were one of the earliest distributors of Shuangjiang Mengku tea in Kunming and were my suppliers for Mengku products in 2005 and 2006. The Lao Ban Zhang teas were something that they did themselves as a side-project. Since they did not identify their teas, I just started calling the teas “Mengku Lao Ban Zhang”. They started sourcing teas from this area of Ban Zhang in 2003, again in 2005. In 2007, they produced a Lao Ban Zhang tea of spring material and used the “Chun Jian” style wrapper of Shuangjiang Mengku but instead of"chun jian" written on the wrapper, it was written “Lao Ban Zhang”. This wrapper was produced in very limited quantities and was sold entirely to “Bank of China – Yunnan Branch” for gifting purposes.
This years harvest has a sweet rounded taste but there is a heavy stimulating feeling after drinking it! You might want to have a sit down after drinking a round of this “cha qi” rich tea!

About Mengku Shuangjiang Tea Factory (Yunnan Sourcing) View company

My, my, my – ain’t this fine? A very generous Steepsterite provided me with a sample of this delightful sheng. Sarsonator and I were saying this morning we were going to search out teas with great cha qi and from now on and just buy those. Sarsita! Here’s one!!!

This is nicely sweet and delicious with a velvety qi that makes me hum. More (and the song!) on my blog at: https://atasteofmzpriss.wordpress.com/2014/12/06/2006-fall-lao-ban-zhang-ancient-tree-raw-pu-erh-yunnan-sourcing/

Thank you so much awesome Steepster friend.

boychik

Steepster friends are awesome people.

MzPriss

@boychik & looseTman – and y’all are two fine examples!

looseTman

And so are you MzPriss!

Sarsonator

I want this tea. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Someone call the waaaaaaaaahmbulance.

We have the great fortune to learn of sellers of very fine puerh through Steepster (and other tea blogs/sites). As a result, we are each able to enjoy some excellent teas. This 2006 LBZ from Yunnan Sourcing is just such a tea. A very good tea with purity, power, hints of mushrooms and nice sweetness. The cake is of moderate compression – quite easy to pick apart. The leaves are large and hearty, with some very nice tips. They produce a clear tea soup which turns rather orange. The scent as the brew cools is darkly sweet, with plenty of power. The liquor has a heavy, thick body that conveys a solid sweetness and finishes cleanly (no real bitterness in the finish). It is big in the mouth – swelling nicely and causing the mouth to water. After 4-5 swallows, the huigan [returning sweetness] finds its way to my throat along with a light mushroom aroma in the back of the nose.
This cake is clearly made from leaves of high quality, I found it to be clean, well-balanced and very enjoyable as it offers good huigan and nice chaqi.

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML