2006 Mengku Wild Arbor King Raw Pu-erh Brick

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea

2 Images

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Clean dry leaves with a woody, sweet nose offering a hint of incense. Golden liquor with good clarity. Vegetal flavor and a touch of mushroom with a touch of sweetness; tiny amount of bitterness in...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 301 tasting notes

From Mengku Tea Factory

A new product for 2006, this quickly became Mengku’s most popular relase of 2006 after winning the Expo Tea Award in Kunming. Raw material is from “bingdao” (literally Ice Island) an area in the county of Mengku well-known for its pungent strong teas. Teas from Bing Dao were fradulently sold as Ban Zhang teas in 2006 and 2007 due to its similarity to expensive Ban Zhang tea. A great tea with excellent aging potential!

Product Name: Mengku “Qiao Mu Wang” Raw brick
Net Weight: 1000 grams
Ingredients: Sun-dried and blended Mengku area Pu-erh tea
Produced by Mengku Tea Factory

About Mengku Tea Factory View company

1 Tasting Note

Clean dry leaves with a woody, sweet nose offering a hint of incense. Golden liquor with good clarity. Vegetal flavor and a touch of mushroom with a touch of sweetness; tiny amount of bitterness in the first two cups. Smooth with definite character in later cups. Ample complexity beginning in the third infusion and lasting through the remaining six resteeps. Good aftertaste in the mouth. Potential to continue improving with age.
Note: good tea but not my favorite Mengku and not even my favorite Arbor King from Mengku.

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
jschergen

Out of curiosity what are some of your favorite Mengkus?

DigniTea

James – when I made that comment I was thinking of the Mengku Daxueshan and Mu Shu Cha cakes I have liked. Also I actually enjoyed a recent tea session with the 2011 Arbor King more than this particular session. Since this is the award winning formula in the award year, I am thinking that I need to try another session or two with this 2006 Arbor King before I draw any real conclusions. The subjectivity of tea evaluations including my own sessions from time 1 to time 2 is the very reason I stopped assigning numerical ratings to my tea notes. Things change; I change - we all learn as we mature and grow through our tea experiences (particularly puerh). IMHO.

jschergen

I agree with your philosophy on rating teas and have had similar experiences with dramatically varying sessions. It seems silly to rate teas on a scale very seriously, especially one as granular as 0-100!

Thanks for sharing :). I was mainly curious for my own reference as I have yet to seriously dive into the Northern regions or Mengku. Will keep my eyes out for those teas.

Cheers!