Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Laura B

• “I won this as part of Tea-Oh's facebook contest a few weeks ago. I wish I knew what all of the ingredients were, as something in it is just not sitting right with my tongue. Maybe it's that I...” Read full tasting note
    Dragonwellluvr 558 tasting notes
  • “I had just found this tea place called Empress Tea House, hidden away within Prince George on Nicholson Street. Despite being located quite near to Pine Center mall, it was an adventure to find it,...” Read full tasting note
    thepha 254 tasting notes
  • “Tea #7. This one was actually on my shopping list, because it sounded really tasty. Chai, with rose petals? Yes please. I was disappointed to find that one of the spices is not quite to my...” Read full tasting note
    iridium 112 tasting notes
  • “This is a pretty dull tea. I put in a small amount of rock sugar and steeped it for a while (10 minutes?) because I read that it could be a bit flavorless. My first few sips tasted like bitterness...” Read full tasting note
    chrimabro 124 tasting notes

From Metropolitan Tea Company

Full-bodied, sensual floral notes with penetrating spices.

FYI: This tea is also sold by Tea Oh and other Metropolitan Sellers, usually under the same name, Kama Sutra Chai (some Kama Sutra teas are not spicy chais, keep in mind, but if it has rose petals and any spice, it’s likely the same thing!) Here are the elusive ingredients! LB
Black tea, chopped & powdered ginger, chopped & powdered cardamom, chopped & powdered coriander, chopped & powdered cinnamon, chopped cloves, chopped black pepper, rose petals, lavender, and jasmine buds.

About Metropolitan Tea Company View company

I won this as part of Tea-Oh’s facebook contest a few weeks ago. I wish I knew what all of the ingredients were, as something in it is just not sitting right with my tongue. Maybe it’s that I used skim milk instead of the richer soy or half and half, maybe it’s the CTC sized leaves, it just wasn’t a tea for me.

I’m looking to give this tea another home. Roughly 50g left. It is similar to Adagio’s masala chai with some added roseblooms. PM me or leave a comment if you would like this tea forwarded to you to try. I really think other chai lovers may enjoy it. I just think I’ll stick with my favorite chai with chocolate-52teas for awhile.

RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

I would love to try this…Would that be ok?

Meghann M

Sure, that would be just fine. I’d be curious to see what you think of it. I think my expectations were too high for this tea.

Cofftea Meghann M, if you want to try it again- try adding it to chai w/ chocolate. Rose and chocolate make a killer combo. Leave out the milk… maybe add sugar? Maybe a boiling steeping temp?
RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

Thanks, I love rose reminds me of India so I have a feeling this may work for me. Do you have my address?

Meghann M

Yes. I just checked to make sure, I’ll get it out this week! Cofftea-good suggestion. I may save 2tsp to try that way.

loupea

Sounds like a very interesting tea. With a name like that, you really do need to know the ingredients!

Laura B

The ingredients—which I’ll update the tea to reflect—ARE a bit odd: Black tea, chopped & powdered ginger, chopped & powdered cardamom, chopped & powdered coriander, chopped & powdered cinnamon, chopped cloves, chopped black pepper, rosepetals, lavender, and jasmine buds.

My purveyor has it (then again he has 700 teas :P and just as many glassware options :P) and he’s wonderful about having all the directions and ingredients, good thing since lavender=allergen, along with chrysanthemum, linden flower, even ginger for some (I prefer punjab region chai—no ginger or very little, lots of cardamom as the key one, sometimes really complex ie curry and rampe leaves but ALWAYS cardamom :D).

Cofftea

Holy crap, I love your purveyor! :)

Laura B

He’s online, too, though you’ll have to ask about some things like his in-house blends, big high-altitude silk road pu’ehr cakes at all ages and prizes (black and green alike), etc… angelinasteas.com :) He’s AMAZING and heh take this example… but don’t DARE tell him he’s underpriced… Lady Hannah’s Whole Fruit (my sister was getting it for me and shipping it to where I currently am—home is always home, though!), which smelled so incredible she went back and got more (plus my cat’s name is Hannah… it is fate since I was needing some herbal/fruit teas for cold summer no-caffeine, not-sugarybleh drinks)… the Tea Table, I believe, is what it originally was listed as—the reviewer mentioned who had it as the tea of the month… and check the price per ounce… see how much you have to get to even come NEAR Angelina’s prices… seriously, tell him Laura B with Hannah Cat sent you if you do order. He deserves, as a former prize tea judge, to stay in business in this economy, especially since he’s one of very few who’ll carry things like Silk Road Prize Teas, who’ll try out TeaGuys in MA and have Te Teas and even “other” teas people love like PG Tips (though I have this hunch he doesn’t keep THAT in the home cupboard!). He KNOWS his art and is always excited to talk about it from what I have experienced (my sister did encounter him stressed out once and almost hugged him except he was so stressed he’d probably flip despite being North Carolina :P). Too many people just get into tea for the profit; plenty don’t even DRINK tea, let alone know nuances. Anyway, go look at his basic-but-huuuge online assortment and ask him about things like his citrus bouquet or Chief Judge or Meridian blends… and always let him know who sent you. It helps him know that the advertising needed is HERE with yappy people like ME :D

I had just found this tea place called Empress Tea House, hidden away within Prince George on Nicholson Street. Despite being located quite near to Pine Center mall, it was an adventure to find it, especially in the late 2012 snowfall.

Apparently, they have been there for close to six years, but their website shows them established in 2004, which is more close to ten years. Despite, I had never heard of this place until I asked a taxi driver if there were more tea places other than David’s Tea in Pine Center.

The word penetrating doesn’t come up describing teas often, and seeing as I haven’t really purchased a chai in quite a long while, this particular one intrigued me.

The leaves give off a fairly familiar Masala chai scent, not as strong as I would anticipate, but strong nonetheless. Rose pedals concern me, as I associate that to a pale flavor, but it doesn’t seem to be present in the leaves’ aroma, which left me slightly reassured.

Steeping the leaves, though, brings out that hidden pale floral scent. I had also forgotten to add maybe equal amounts of rock sugar, so let’s hope the penetrating spices penetrate the unnecessities.

The first initial sips reaffirm my concerns. This chai is not penetrating enough. The pale characteristics overwhelm a potentially interesting blend of spicy and “sensuous” ingredients, as the flavor is attempting strength, but ultimately cannot go further.

I would expect rock sugar would improve the dull flavor, but probably not by much.

It is a shame; a good chai, the right chai, can be hard to find.

Tea #7.

I was disappointed to find that one of the spices is not quite to my liking. I was going to say fennel, but apparently there isn’t any in the blend. Coriander, maybe? It’s hard finding a chai with the right balance of the right spices in it. Maybe when I figure it out, I should just get some rose petals to add in, and see if I like that better…

This is a pretty dull tea. I put in a small amount of rock sugar and steeped it for a while (10 minutes?) because I read that it could be a bit flavorless. My first few sips tasted like bitterness and rose petals, which was not a great combination. I added some half-and-half, and now the rose petal taste is gone and it just has an earthy black tea taste… which I’m not finding pleasant.

Let’s just say that for a tea who’s named after the Kama Sutra, I was expecting something a little… spicier! This is a very, very mild mix. It’s not bad, but it’s not exactly the spicy kick in the mouth you expect from a chai.

I made this in my to-go insulated cup this morning, and actually forgot about it for a good 10 minutes or so. Two teaspoons of sugar and a dash of milk later, and I’m not even sure if it qualifies as a chai.

It’s been on the shelf a while, but I don’t think that would change it to this extent. Even with the over-steep it’s so mild you can taste the flower petals more than any of the spices. I like my chai very, very spicy. This just isn’t for me.

I’m trying to decide whether or not to throw it out. I have 2 or 2-1/2oz left, and I think it’s about 2 years old. At what age should you throw out tea?

Boiling 8 min or more
Lynxiebrat

Usually tea is supposed to stay good for a year I think. I have heard of some bagged teas still tasting decent after quite a few years, though that might be due to foil wrapped individual packages

Much spicy. Very not wow. I don’t usually use that meme but i couldn’t help it. It’s a spicy bland chai. I’ve added some orange honey to it and even that doesn’t help much.