Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Indigobloom

From Metropolitan Tea Company

Producer: Metropolitan Tea Company, Toronto, Canada
Tea Type: Black – a blend of Ceylon teas flavoured with natural canadian icewine
Tea Packing: 16 Teabags
Net Weight: 51g

About Metropolitan Tea Company View company

Steeper beware!! this one brews up STRONG!!!!
I had the bag in for two, maybe three minutes and it ended up more bitter than a scorned woman. That had never happened to me before. A new experience to be sure. No matter. Heaps of agave fixed it right up (and I mean several. At least four times more than what I normally use, if I use any at all)
Next time, I’ll try it with a one/two min steep and see what that reveals.
Anyhow, once that was dealt with… the bitterness was peeking out for awhile, and I couldn’t taste much beyond the agave/bitter aspect. Almost like black coffee. I was not impressed.
However once it cooled a bit, I started to see the wine influence. Not quite ice wine per se, but definitely wine. There was that mouth drying sensation, along with a definite grape-like puckering. Like sweet green grapes. or maybe a hybrid green/red grape. Certainly not a plain red grape of course. No, it was not quite that sweet.
I went in for a second steep and that one was quite lovely as well. I added only two swirls of agave this time and steeped for three full minutes (plus an accidental twenty extra seconds). and guess what? it was still strong! not quite bitter. More what I expected the first infusion to be. any longer and I’d have bridged bitter territory. I’m still a little shocked at just how intense it was. Is it possible they added tea dust? I’ve heard it can make a tea bitter…
but that can’t be, I enjoyed it!! I could never like the taste of tea dust. right?
If it hadn’t been for the work event I was obliged to attend, you can bet I’d have stuck around for a third or even fourth cup.
Oh and I figured out what it reminds me of!! Cloud nine from David’s tea! I don’t know why, it just does. Maybe I need to do a side by side comparison one day. It has been some time since my stash ran out.
And for those who may (or may not be! I’m not assuming anyone reads me haha) wondering, yes I did break my tea buying ban. Again.
Ice wine tea had been on my list for ages, and this is the first opp I’ve had to get a decent version. When the shopkeeper said that people come specifically to her store for that tea, well who was I to shun it?! it was no longer in my power… the decision had already been made… sighs

Heee! Tea ban? What tea ban? These do not exist in our universes. :D

Cheryl

Oh oh, we are paying attention … (gives you the momma-bear look) … haha, one at a time isn’t a huge sin, eh?

Indigobloom

LOL no I suppose they don’t!! if only the tea purchases came with extra cupboard space…

Indigobloom

I also justified it by the fact that I now have an extra tin :-D

Tina S.

Tins are totally something that call to me too. Tormenting things, they be!

Cheryl: hides
yes, one at a time! yes, yes that is how it is :P

Indigobloom

tormenting, no kidding!! How many teas have I purchased because it comes with a tin… they might as well be sirens!

Thomas Edward(Toad)

i got some of this on order it sounds realy good o me :)

Indigobloom

Tommy: I look forward to reading your review!! just don’t steep it too long :)

SimplyJenW

Ah, we all give in to the allure of a good cuppa. What I did…I rewrote my no-buy rules, kind of like Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru..My tea ban just includes black tea……(So I have bought a few oolongs, some green, and a gaiwan!)

Tina S.

Wait, did you just make a Trek reference related to tea? I think I love you!

SimplyJenW

Well, it was an unwinnable scenario…… Yes, I am a big fan of many things that are only cool in geekdom.

Tina S.

Hey, who am I to say anything when I have the Delta as my picture on a tea site? ;)

Indigobloom

Hmmm maybe I should rewrite the my rules!
and I t care what anyone says, Cpt Janeway rocks!!!

Dinosara

I just realized the other day that my rule will be broken too… the NY Coffee and Tea festival is in late February, and I can’t expect myself not to buy any tea there! So yeah, already writing exceptions…

Indigobloom

ahh well you deserve it, after all that denial Dinosara! :P

Dinosara

Haha, thanks for being my enabler. :D

Indigobloom

anytime Dinosara, it’s what tea buddies are for ;)

Thank you IndigoBloom for this nice CANADIAN sample!

Ice Wine Tea seems to be something you can only get in Canada. Don’t exactly know why. Maybe Canada has special ice or snow or a load of grapes from New York or California froze one year and someone like Krystaleyn studing grapes and drinking tea at the time had a brilliant idea.

Whatever the case was, voila…ya got Ice Wine Tea.

I kept pestering Indigo-B for some “Please”, when we did a tea swap and I was delighted to see some tea bags (don’t say that often) to satisfy my Ice Wine Tea curiosity.

I was careful not to over-steep the teabag…and once the hot tea cooled a bit the flavor unfolded.
There was a ruby red, seedless grape flavor at the correct stage of ripeness without too much sugar and a bit on the dry side. The type I buy and plop into the freezer to eat like popsicles on a hot day in August or September.
Although I’ve become used to loose leaf tea with big flavor, the scent and taste was mild and pleasing, fruity and not astringent. The wine flavor was not overpowering to the base ceylon tea.
I let my cup cool, added stevia and ice cubes and it was really good! The tea became creamier and was better than hot in my opinion.

TeaEqualsBliss

In short…it’s because the grapes are picked after a freeze at a certainly elevation and at a certain vicinity of water and/height and temp :)

TeaEqualsBliss

A longer and more technical explanation…
is a type of dessert wine produced from grapes that have been frozen while still on the vine. The sugars and other dissolved solids do not freeze, but the water does, allowing a more concentrated grape must to be pressed from the frozen grapes, resulting in a smaller amount of more concentrated, very sweet wine. With ice wines, the freezing happens before the fermentation, not afterwards. Unlike the grapes from which other dessert wines are made, such as Sauternes, Tokaji, or Trockenbeerenauslese, ice wine grapes should not be affected by Botrytis cinerea or noble rot, at least not to any great degree. Only healthy grapes keep in good shape until the opportunity arises for an ice wine harvest, which in extreme cases can occur after the New Year, on a northern hemisphere calendar. This gives ice wine its characteristic refreshing sweetness balanced by high acidity. When the grapes are free of Botrytis, they are said to come in “clean”.

Due to the labour-intense and risky production process resulting in relatively small amounts of wine, ice wines are generally quite expensive.

Canada and Germany are the world’s largest producers of ice wines. About 75 percent of the ice wine in Canada comes from Ontario.[

Bonnie

Ohhhhh.

:) CHEERS!!!

Azzrian

Just my two cents but I like Design A Tea’s version a bit better but still I do like this one as well! Ice wine tea is YUM!

Indigobloom

awww glad you like it Bonnie! I love ice wine… a frozen dessert that’s not really frozen :P

Thank you Reasoned_Melody for this sample.

The teabag smells strongly fruity and a little fermented. I can understand why people have been saying this brews up strongly.

Once brewed the tea becomes a reddy brown colour with a sweet yet strong grapey wine fragrance.

Despite the low steeping time of 2 minutes it’s rather bitter, making the whole tea sweet and sour. I can taste grapes and fruit and there is a little dryness there which has a wine effect. While it may not be the nicest flavoured tea it still has charm. Drinking it gives me a sort of…glow…like real wine does.

If the bitterness could be improved then this would be a wonderful bagged tea but for now it remains average.

Tor Lumière Marie

I love iced wine, but I can’t imagine it as a tea! Does it taste ‘cold’ at all?

KittyLovesTea

If you leave the tea to cool down it picks up the fruity flavours and sweetness and tends to become stronger in general. Each Christmas I have mulled wine which is served hot so I’m used to drinking it warm on occasion. :)

Indigobloom

I love this one!! but I find it’s much better at 60 or 90 seconds.
Second steep is great to :)

Holy smokes Batman! Strong tea is strong. Now that I got that out of my system, I have to say that I did only steep this for two minutes as per short steep suggestion via Indigobloom. I wasn’t sure what exactly to expect because I never heard of Ice Wine before I got on steepster.

When it was hot, it smelled so grapey, like the big, fat red seedless grapes. It tasted really tangy and a little overpowering. So I put a big tablespoon of sugar in my mug and then dumped the rest into a glass of ice. Voila! An iced ice wine tea.

It actually tastes pretty good iced. It is still tangy, but the sugar cut out the slight bitterness I was tasting. From what I can tell the black tea base is smooth. And instead of the overwhelming concord grape jelly taste, I am getting a light fruitiness out of it.

Yep, this would probably be a tea that the wine drinkers I know would adore.

Indigobloom

Iced!! now there is something to consider haha

Backlogging:
Another sample from Azzrian, this one originally from Indigobloom.

In a word, yuck. I paid attention to the steeping instructions and only steeped for 2 lousy minutes. This was so profoundly bitter that after about 3 sips I gave up and threw it out.

Seriously, yuck.

Wow, Indigobloom, you weren’t kidding with the strong on this one. Heeding your warning I gave it a short steep of two minutes. And while it isn’t bitter, it is extremely strong. I am getting a fermented grape note under the strong black tea base, and can definitely see wine drinkers who enjoy tea really loving this one. Me, I’m not a wine drinker at all but couldn’t resist the grape smell. It smells heavenly, but if you aren’t a fan of a strong tea I recommend doing an even shorter steep than I did!

Indigobloom

ok so it wasn’t just me! I just hope I don’t forget next time I make it…
the lady at the shop said people come from all around Ontario to that specific shop in the blue mountain village for that tea, and then ski on the side because it’s convenient!! :P

Tina S.

I think the lady lied. :D

noooooooo! I shall cling to my beloved icewine tea ;o

So, you’ve probably heard of the Champagne of Tea, but have you ever heard of an ice wine tea? Certainly not I, and certainly not before two days ago.

It was a happy surprise to find out that a long time specialty shop in Terrace actually sells loose leaf tea. What was quite amazing was the variety of teas they offer, and how relatively obscure the fact of them carrying loose leaf tea was.

In any case, the ice wine tea intrigued me. I haven’t really heard much about quality or experiences, but the fact that there was an ice wine tea was enough for me to purchase.

Upon opening the bag, you’re met with an overwhelmingly sweet and fresh pear and grape scent, not so much fruit but simply refreshing. It is actually very interesting, as the grape and pear make up most, if not all of the leaves’ aroma, as you cannot find one bit of tea scent. The leaves are a typical long and rolled black tea, with very dark tones.

I have taken heed to previous tasting notes and decided to steep a minute less my typical 3 minute black tea time. During the steeping, the black tea is brought right out with a very strong aroma. I have also taken heed to the bag’s recommendation of adding sugar, only adding half a teaspoon of rock sugar. Deeper inquiry to others’ past experiences make me think I should have added more sugar.

The brew appears very dark and very wine-ish. The color is deep and clear, the aroma strong yet fresh and subtly fruity. It’s a really soothing aroma, one I would imagine from an actual ice wine.

I also regret not having a wine glass handy at work for this tea.

My first initial sips allow me to understand the strong warnings of how strong the black tea can get, as I instantly taste the strong tea pushing through the other flavors. I am thankful for keeping my steeping at 2 minutes, as I could see this brew turning bitter.

The fruity notes are harmonized with the black tea, giving a wine characteristic of sorts. The grape is quite obvious, but there is also a hint of green apple, as I would imagine as there is also some sweet pear. There is a slight astringency, but due to the shortened steep, it is almost undetectable.

Overall, this is a refreshing and lovely blend. For these wet winter months, this is quite appropriate tea to enjoy casually. I wouldn’t mind sharing it iced with close friends… while watching Girls on HBO.

I’ve got tons of this because I have both loose leaf and a tin of teabags. But that’s a-okay, because I really enjoy it cold.

I have a migraine of epic proportions, so I’ll just say this is yummy.

Sami Kelsh