Edit tea info Last updated by Marie

• “Iced tea of the day..... Yep, this one is losing its luster for me. I have given some away and am trying it out iced to see if it has any value for me to keep it. Not bad. I can taste the...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 972 tasting notes
  • “Trying this out today courtesy of SimplyJenW. Dry, this is a very appealing black tea with blue flowers mixed in. Steeped it delivers as promised. A fair balance of Bergamot and cream. I really...” Read full tasting note
    twing 120 tasting notes
  • “For technicalities, this came from EnglishTeaStore.com, and is called Earl Grey Cream - Metro (Metropolitan) Blend. Recommended by SimplyJenW (thank you!). This is the 3rd or 4th testing of...” Read full tasting note
    Zweven 136 tasting notes
  • “I'm an EG newbie, so I don't feel right rating these just yet. This one from Metro Tea smelled delicious - citrusy and bright - but the taste! Lots of fruit loopy and manly. This next sentence will...” Read full tasting note
    tea-slinger 576 tasting notes

From Metropolitan Tea Company

Premium Ceylon Flavored Black Tea
Origin: Sri Lanka (Ceylon)
Region: Dimbula
Grade: OP

A must have for the avid Earl Grey drinker! Our best Earl Grey mellowed with a creamy taste unmatched by any other.

About Metropolitan Tea Company View company

Iced tea of the day…..

Yep, this one is losing its luster for me. I have given some away and am trying it out iced to see if it has any value for me to keep it. Not bad. I can taste the bergamot and the cream adds kind of a weird but interesting aftertaste. I don’t sweeten my iced tea, so teas do taste vastly different iced than when I drink them hot.

I am in the midst of a good sized edit of my tea cupboard. I do like this one hot well enough, but I am kind of over having 80 teas to choose from on a daily basis. I think I could be happy with about 1 quarter of that. This one is not going to be replaced, even though I did enjoy it while i had it.

Usual iced tea method.

TeaBrat

I think you should make some Earl grey chocolate truffles… :)

Those sound good!

Trying this out today courtesy of SimplyJenW. Dry, this is a very appealing black tea with blue flowers mixed in. Steeped it delivers as promised. A fair balance of Bergamot and cream. I really like the combination. For me, the Bergamot is there at the beginning and end of the sip with the cream in the center, like an Oreo cookie. It is an interesting affect.
Thanks SimplyJenW, I am very glad to have tried this.

SimplyJenW

I really like this one, too. I wonder if Harney would consider an Earl Grey Cream?

teawing

I would vote for it, and knowing H&S, they would do it right.

teawing

By the way, I guess I should repent for the grammar police out there…
“the Oreo effect affected me interestingly”
Better?

ashmanra

I will ask Mike to consider it! Dashing over to their facebook page now!

teawing

I forgot we had our own H&S agent!

SimplyJenW

Maybe it is time to try a blend of Earl Grey Supreme and Vanilla Black. 3:1 or 2:1?

ashmanra

Great idea!

For technicalities, this came from EnglishTeaStore.com, and is called Earl Grey Cream – Metro (Metropolitan) Blend. Recommended by SimplyJenW (thank you!).

This is the 3rd or 4th testing of this tea, and this morning I decided to go back to the basics of only using a T. of honey to properly test. I find that most Earl Grey’s benefit from some cream/milk and will add that shortly : )

There is a slight (only slight) bitterness to this tea, when only sweetened. That should disappear with added cream. The bergamot is on the light side of my preferences, but I like a lot to give it a creamsicle effect. There is a creamy feeling to the tea, but not overly so. Overall a very good Earl Grey Cream (but still prefer Upton’s). I’m off to add some cream now : )

I’m an EG newbie, so I don’t feel right rating these just yet. This one from Metro Tea smelled delicious – citrusy and bright – but the taste! Lots of fruit loopy and manly. This next sentence will make me sound like a weirdo, I know, but the EG Cream smelled like a man – like cologne. And very much not in a good way. I don’t like heavy cologne on men; I call it “Pimp Diesel.” So while this one is tasty and hearty, it has a certain Pimp Diesel quality to it.

Maybe I oversteeped. Maybe I’m completely ignorant about EG. OK, actually I am. But I need to conquer this taste. Help me out, teasters!

Follow my EG adventures:

ColumbiaKate Maybe you are right about the cologne quality. The aroma of this tea makes so many sales. People love it and come back for more. Most women, on smelling it practically melt. I call it “catnip for women” at the shop. I never thought of it as a Men’s cologne, but I can imagine that if men would carry a sachet of this tea with them they could probably create a following.

You may not be ale to find an EG that you like. Did you try this one with milk?

Definitely not for purists of the Earl, this one gets the “Royal” pardon. A time-tested favorite mellowed to a creamy afternoon echo. While on the softer side, it still holds up pretty well. I would recommend brewing just a smidge longer, or using more than one heaping teaspoon per cup when brewing to punch up the strength. To me the cream guides this flavor more into the “dessert teas” even without any cream or sugar.

takgoti

It just hit me that your review style totally makes me think of Andrews & Dunham.

Marie

LOL. really? I can’t help putting on a slightly British hat when talking about tea – although I’m as far from British as one can get. Actually I do a great cockney accent with very little falter – although I’m a bit droopy on the vowels. Last week I kept going around to my friends saying in my finest british cockney accent, “Would you like something from the snack trolley dears?”

It is creamy and it has a good taste of bergamot orange in it…not my favourite, but I enjoy it with breakfast…it is strong enough to taste when eating a hearty breakfast.