Jin Jun Mei (Golden Eyebrow)

Baked Bread, Chocolate, Malt, Sweet Potatoes
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

From Min River Tea

A naturally sweet and fruity red tea, Jin Jun Mei (sometimes called Golden Eyebrow) is the perfect tea for the sweet-tooths out there. Grown in the Wuyi Mountains of Fujian, it has a plummy and well rounded taste and naturally sweet edge. It’s quickly become one of China’s most popular teas in recent years, and with good reason.

About Min River Tea View company

Another one to thank Nicole for! There will be many more to write tasting notes for. That tea package was amazing. I’ve also been drinking a ton of teas that are on the next-to-be-sipdowns list and a few were also sipdowned in the last few days. I have so many small samples of tea, but I like the variety, and just as long as they are stored well and I remember where they are, it’s under control. This one could almost appear to be a Golden Monkey, if there was slightly more gold to the leaves. Otherwise they are black, thin, twisty with hints of gold. I only went with a teaspoon this time since Nicole’s note says this one gets tough. It turned out light enough for me. The flavor is interesting. I haven’t tried enough Jin Jun Mei yet to know where this one stands. But the flavor is tangy and fruity… it actually reminds me of my favorite flavor profile for Darjeeling. I feel like I haven’t been able to pick apart flavors enough lately. The color of the cup isn’t very dark. I think I should have went two teaspoons for this one.
Steep #1 // 1 tsp // 9 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // Just boiled // 3 min

I split this one with Nicole during Min River’s closing sale. Which is too bad too, because this is one of the better Jin Jun Mei’s I have tried. And that is saying something. I have had a great deal of this type of tea, and it is still my favorite Chinese black. Nothing can beat it’s teeny curly leaves. The golden fuzzies and the deep chocolately brown dry leaf gives me a hint to what is is store for me: I am smelling sweet potato fries and lightly toasted multigrain bread.

The subsequent steepings are so nice and silky. The thick soup is a glowing golden brown. There are a lot of floating fuzzies chillen in my cha hai. I kinda like that. It appeases my hangover quite nicely. I used a strainer on top and had a nice glob of them clinging to the bottom.

As to the taste, well, you know how it goes. Malty and rich with bread crusts and milk chocolate richness and crunchy shoestring sweet potatoes. Typical of this type of tea and atypically delicious.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Chocolate, Malt, Sweet Potatoes

I have found this to be my favorite black as well, which is surprising, since with the exception of this, all of my other favs are yunnan.

I am a sucker for Fujian Blacks.

maybe i should look into those as well then :)

I so wish they hadn’t closed… :(

Got a sample of this in Nicole’s Christmas card!
Personally, this is wayyy too strong for me. Steeped it for a little less than what it says to steep on Here.
But yeah, it’s still way too strong. XD I can’t even pick out any flavors, it’s just really strong. Did not expect that. xD So yeah, not a fan.
But thanks for letting me try, Nicole! :D

Nicole sent some of this my way and it’s very different than the jin jun mei i had earlier today from life in teacup. haha this one is a little too intense for me. Still though, as always, i’m happy to try new teas and appreciate the share!

Oh, my precious. I’m so sorry. Gong fu is not for me with you. This got way too harsh, way too fast doing it gong fu. Maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention or maybe I overleafed. I was watching John Wick again while doing it and I seriously love that movie. :)

First steep was fine. Second was pretty harsh and exceedingly mineral. I lumme some mineral taste but not this. So I put some extra water in the cha hai and am finishing it that way. Sad panda because I do have a limited supply of this and I don’t want to do bad steepings of it. But, the extra water makes it okay. Not awesome, mind you, but above average. So, note to self: if you take the time to read over your notes before you make this again, do it Western. :)

No!! This is such a kind tea to me, I forgot it in my gaiwan for 5 minutes once, and it was still great. Keep trying!

I’m thinking it was overleafing. I’ll try again this week. :)