2015 Organic Raw Pu'er. One Family. One Farm. One Tea.

Pu-erh Tea
Dried Fruit, Fruity, Mineral, Peach, Plums, Smooth, Stonefruits, Sweet, Floral, Honey, Spices, Earth, White Wine, Apricot, Overripe Cherries, Sugarcane, Umami, Pepper
Low
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

From Misty Peak Teas

We are one of the few exporters who live with the farmer.

We represent one of the finest Pu’er teas on the market. The family has been in tea for countless generations, exporting throughout Southern Asia and all of China. In China their tea is sought after, as much Yiwu tea is.

The tea is produced from 200-500 year old trees, some of the few teas on the market that can humbly say so. This tea is produced with such precious care, not a hint of smoke or over-processing. We also have full length video of the entire production process which we include with all our shipments.

Tasting:
This is a meditation tea. A tea to uplift; a tea to calm one who is excited or uplift one who is down. Very fresh, with lingering tastes of dried cherry and a sweetness left on the tongue. The tea induces salvation, rather than drying out the mouth. The 3-8th steeps are of the finest. The tea is savory, with pleasant hints of umami. An incredibely calming tea to be enjoyed today or in years to come.

Stone pressed. produced by hand, the plantation has never seen a single chemical.

Prep: First two washes no more than 1-2 seconds with 180 degree water. Following brews should be 10-20 seconds, or to taste. Best to use 3-5 grams per pot. A great tea to experiment with and try your own methods to really get the most potential out of this wonderful Pu’er.

About Misty Peak Teas View company

Misty Peak Teas offers the world's oldest tea, Pu'er, as it never has been before. We connect the tea drinker with the tea farmer; allowing each person a chance to understand the many benefits and interests in this timeless leaf, as it was thousands of years ago. Misty Peak Teas is dedicated to providing the highest quality while allowing the farmer a fair value for their crop and the world a chance to enjoy an incredible pure tea.

I just received this puerh cake, so it is probably a little flat because of the lower humidity and temp during shipping. I have it in my pumidor and will write a more extensive review after a couple weeks in better conditions. The dry tea smells very minty and sweet, almost like a mint tisane mixed in with the puerh. Once brewed it keeps the minty smell but loses the sweetness. It is very smooth and moistens the mouth. It is lacking a little thickness and staying power but that may be because of the shipping flatness. It has a deep tobacco and mushroom flavor, without the smokiness and bitterness of other young puerhs (making it seem a couple years older than it really is) I can’t wait to see how this progresses, and overall it’s a very good tea

Bonnie

Keep us posted!

Misty Peak Teas

Your feedback about the shipping is very helpful. I’m so pleased that you saw the beauty and uniqueness of this tea. Please do continue to keep us posted.

Kindly
Nicholas
www.MistyPeakTeas.com

Having a lovely run with this tea again.

Oddly, each steep seems to be very light and buttery ending with a fantastic floral / cherry / apricot that lingers after sip. Last time I got much more flavor out of this tea.

Then it hit me. It was my flavor sucking yixing pot! I had seasoned it the other day and this one came out the best I think as the pot is scented strongly of the sheng pu’er I used. Oh well, need to put more time into the yixing pot so it’ll give back!

Stephanie

I need to try more good puerhs

Misty Peak Teas

So glad you enjoyed it Awkward Soul, you have found great ways to enjoy tea more than most.

@stephanie. Happy to send you some.

AC VK

Perhaps you should try it out in a gaiwan ? Sometimes I also make 2 simultaneous steeping (1 in gaiwan & 1 in yixing teapot) that’s how I realized how bad was the first teapot I bought ;)

First of all I want to thank Nicholas for this generous offering. Secondly please accept my apology for being so late in reviewing it. This is the autumn selection of the 2012 Yiwu. And I again I apologize for adding it on here. Quite frankly, if you blindfolded me and told me it was the spring harvest I would agree. The dried leaves are beautiful and I can see this is a superior tea. My first steeping yields a beautiful, fruity nectar with a wonderful mouthfeel. The next steeping I allow it more time to in Yixing to see where it goes. I still have the fruitiness but with an intensity that goes to my brow and chest. I am going to stop here because it is the afternoon here and I can see this tea ruining my day in a very wonderful way. I will let it ruin my night when I am able to sit and ponder life and all its beauty….

TheTeaFairy

I also like the way you think Charles :-)

Doug F

Your recent reviews have persuaded me to go on a Sheng binge. I just placed an order with Tea Urchin and I’m very excited for it to arrive. I’m sure I’ll be drunk on $200 Sheng samples for the next few weeks.

Charles Thomas Draper

HEHE Rox…. Doug, you are in for some fun with Sheng.

Misty Peak Teas

I would ask Charles for advice on Sheng Pu’er, he seems to really know quality and has a good pallet for Sheng.

mrmopar

Oh this is really good tea!

Charles Thomas Draper

I was more than happy with it and I have had some very fine ones lately. And mrmopar I know you know quality too!

Doug F

I’ve been drinking and loving sheng for a while, but it looks like some of the selections from Tea Urchin are on another level altogether.

Charles Thomas Draper

Yes Doug. I have done a lot of homework to see where the real deal is. I really enjoy this Misty Peaky too!!

Doug F

Good to know. I’ll check them out.

Thank you Nicholas & Misty Peaks for this wonderful cup of Yum!

Although this is a young sheng, it lacks the wild & brash unruliness of so many of the shengs I’ve tried. This is perfectly delicious & refined tea, with a sweet smooth fruity taste. I’ve been drinking it for a couple of hours, & it really is a delicious nectar. I’m probably gonna have to add some of this to my collection too.

Terri HarpLady

When I have money, that is…lol

I received this sample in the mail and immediately began brewing it. I’ve been curious about Misty Peak Teas for quite some time and this was the perfect opportunity to try some of their pu’er.

The dry tea smelled sorta herbacious and a bit earthy. I was also getting a bit of a tobacco-like smell in there. It was interesting to say the least. I experimented with the steep time a little bit as I usually so the first time brewing. I found my sweet spot at about the 9th steep at 3 minutes but each steep was amazing.

1st Steep-30 sec
Slightly grassy. Very fruity. Apple or pear. I can’t place it right now. Lightly smoky. Kinda like walking into a room where a match had been lit. You get whisps of it. The smoke is not in every sip but you catch a bit of it here and there.

2nd Steep-45 sec
I’m getting a little bit more of the smoke. Not overpowering. Still very fruity. Definitely apple this time. A bit of spice…sometimes nutmeg, sometimes clove.

3rd Steep-1 minute
Tastes almost exactly like apricot jam. I am not even kidding. This pu’er is so gentle yet flavorful.

4th Steep-1.30 minutes
Still tastes like apricot jam but with a bit more astringency. Seems like it pops up in later brews. There is also something minty going on.

5th Steep-2 minutes
A little bit more astringent. Not in an overpowering way and nothing close to what I expect from a young sheng but just enough that you notice it. Still tastes like apricot but it’s getting sweeter.

6th, 7th, 8th Steeps-2.30 minutes
Very mellow steeps. All of a sudden, the apricots are gone and replaced by pears and honey. Very very surprising.

9th Steep-3 minutes
When I brew a tea for the first time, especially a pu’er, I experiment with different brew times to find the sweet spot—sometimes I get a bit crazy. I think 3 minutes is this tea’s sweet spot. At least for me. This steep reminds me of roasted pears with a caramel sauce and spices. It tastes like the holidays.

10th Steep-5 minutes
Steeped at 5 minutes just to see if I could without getting kicked in the face with astringency. And I didn’t. So smooth and it tastes like apples, pears and a spicy cinnamon.

11th Steep-10 minutes
If you’re going to push it far why not push it farther? So I did and steeped for 10 minutes. It’s ridiculous and bordering on tea abuse but it worked well. I probably wouldn’t do this earlier but in later steeps, why not? It was a bit astringent but not the unpleasant sort. Kind of minty actually.

12th Steep-Overnight
In my defense, I’m all allergied up and I fell asleep while brewing. But it was still good in the morning when I did drink it. It tasted like pears and molasses. Not bad.

Overall, this is one of the best sheng pu’ers I have ever tried. It’s young but it’s gentle and flavorful. I’m considering buying a cake because I can only imagine how lovely this tea will be with some age on it.

Thank you to Misty Peak Teas for the generous sample.

Misty Peak Teas

Thank you for your eloquent descriptions. Your descriptions are very accurate.

Enjoy and have a great week.

mrmopar

Very exquisite sheng for sure.

Got this as a free sample directly from Misty Peak, woo hoo. My first pu erh (I bought a box of it for cheap at an asian grocery store years and years ago, but never actually opened it, oops). I had some trepidation because a lot of the funkier, more esoteric but more fiercely beloved types of teas among aficionados—oolong and pu erh!—I still don’t seem too into due to what I perceive as a funky, seaweed-y, marshy element. But this was a really great introduction for me—I’m guessing it’s relatively mild as pu erhs go because dry and brewed it doesn’t smell that funky or marshy, and while there is some of that salty butteriness and a bit of vegetal, seaweed-like character in the flavor it’s not overpowering at all. There’s also a clean, sweet-like-fresh-water flavor I’m really digging. Impressed with the texture too; it has a medium body, just right (and more than I was expecting for some reason), with a luscious, silky mouthfeel. I like it! The copy is right in that this is a tea for contemplation, one to take your time with.

Misty Peak Teas

You are wonderful at describing your feelings and the teas. Thank you for your feedback and continue to enjoy it. It gets really interested around the 6-10th steeping.

Enjoy :)

ifjuly

Thanks again for giving me the chance to try it! I’m really enjoying it—on my 4th steep as I type. (:

Probably one of the best Pu’ers I have had. The price was really fair and it came with very specific instructions on how to brew it, so I actually followed them! Go me.

The insctructions said to pour out the first 2-3 washes, but I was curious(why not) and drank them anyway. They were really good! Why am I dumping these out? I think it is a time when the leaves are opening up and cleaning them and whatnot.

I drank the tea in a very quite room, and the tea made the room quieter, but brighter and made me more aware. It calmed me down a lot. The first 3-5 brew were very cherry/apricot like and I brewed it all the way until the 12th or so pot. It got sweeter as time went by, but not sweet overall. A really complex tea: basically meaning it had a lot to it.

I loved it, yay!

PS- I made it in a gaiwan, and steeped it for up to a minute a few times to just try it out, but mostly its best around 10-15 seconds.

This tea is very nice.

I am newer to these kinds of teas and it is my first green puerh, but I have tried the black before and it is nothing like this.

The aging is wonderful, but I understand that most black puerhs are not aged, only processed to be black. This tea is going to be wonderful for aging as the tea is perfect now.

I bought two of the cakes, and will buy more in the future if they are still available. I do agree that Yiwu produces the better of the green puerh teas because I tried a different one recently that was not as complex or flavorful as this. The tea is a tea for all times of the day, so that makes me feel good! Haha. Hope this helps others.

Oh ya, don’t steep it for more than 30-40 seconds, as it is full leaves and has no need to be steeped that long! Held its flavor until the 10th or 11th steeping.

Two years ago I contacted Misty Peak Teas with a simple question, ‘Which of your teas has the most Cha Qi?’ The reply stated that the Autumn tea was the most complex, containing the most Qi and that if I used a code provided that I would get a discount. I did just that and ordered the 2012 Autumn cake. It arrived and I got my pu-erh tray, pick and yixing pot dedicated to Sheng out. I picked the leaves, noticing that most were whole and that the cake was not over pressed. After a rinse, I drank the first steeping….I drank the second steeping……I drank the third steeping. I sat back, feeling the Qi course through my body and felt like I was missing something. Over the next few days I steeped this tea and other raw pu-erhs too. I came to realize that what I was missing was the bitter broken leaf, smoke, and in general poor quality sheng that I had grown accustomed to drinking. I continued to drink this tea and gave away those other cakes. I found myself gravitating to this tea. If I steeped, the laoshan blacks, the white nights, the greens, the big red robes, I found that I would toss them and go get this Misty Peak YiWu from my tea cabinet. As the years have gone by, I drink this tea daily. I have become friends with Nicholas. He is a stand up guy….he does what he says and says what he means. If you take nothing else from this diatribe,take this…..This tea is being sold at a third of what it is worth. There is No better Sheng available in the U.S.A. at this time, for such a low price. So please do yourselves a favor and order yourself some of this tea. Then call Nicholas and tell him how much you enjoyed it. I hope that I will always have this tea to enjoy, daily, for the rest of my days on Earth. To quote Nicholas……‘Sip Peace’.

10 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

I have been buying from these guys since 2012 and just found this website when I googled Misty Peak Teas. Cool to see that so many people like them also, I didnt know it had such a following.

The tea, to me, is perfect. I used to be a smoker, but since finding tea, I have been able to cut the habit. I tried probably 50 different pu’erhs the past few years, then I emailed this company and they called me right away and walked me through their teas and we ended up talking about camping somehow, and now I order every few months. Its a straight up tea, very smooth on the mouth and an easy swallow. Not a nasty bitter like most of the pu-erhs out there.

I’d recommend this to anyone starting out or experienced. It seems people describe it as “stone-fruit”, and I have to concur. It really opens up after the second steeping and after the first wash, the smell of fresh leaves takes over my loft.

Great tea. Thank you