Yi Wu Shan Da Ye Sheng Bing Stone-Pressed (Yiwu Mountain Green Puer Cake) 2014

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

From Misty Peak Teas

We are one of the few exporters who live with the farmer.

We represent one of the finest Pu’er teas on the market. The family has been in tea for countless generations, exporting throughout Southern Asia and all of China. In China their tea is sought after, as much Yiwu tea is.

The tea is produced from 200-500 year old trees, some of the few teas on the market that can humbly say so. This tea is produced with such precious care, not a hint of smoke or over-processing. We also have full length video of the entire production process which we include with all our shipments.

Tasting:
This is a meditation tea. A tea to uplift; a tea to calm one who is excited or uplift one who is down. Very fresh, with lingering tastes of dried cherry and a sweetness left on the tongue. The tea induces salvation, rather than drying out the mouth. The 3-8th steeps are of the finest. The tea is savory, with pleasant hints of umami. An incredibely calming tea to be enjoyed today or in years to come.

Stone pressed. produced by hand, the plantation has never seen a single chemical.

Prep: First two washes no more than 1-2 seconds with 180 degree water. Following brews should be 10-20 seconds, or to taste. Best to use 3-5 grams per pot. A great tea to experiment with and try your own methods to really get the most potential out of this wonderful Pu’er.

About Misty Peak Teas View company

Misty Peak Teas offers the world's oldest tea, Pu'er, as it never has been before. We connect the tea drinker with the tea farmer; allowing each person a chance to understand the many benefits and interests in this timeless leaf, as it was thousands of years ago. Misty Peak Teas is dedicated to providing the highest quality while allowing the farmer a fair value for their crop and the world a chance to enjoy an incredible pure tea.

I just received this puerh cake, so it is probably a little flat because of the lower humidity and temp during shipping. I have it in my pumidor and will write a more extensive review after a couple weeks in better conditions. The dry tea smells very minty and sweet, almost like a mint tisane mixed in with the puerh. Once brewed it keeps the minty smell but loses the sweetness. It is very smooth and moistens the mouth. It is lacking a little thickness and staying power but that may be because of the shipping flatness. It has a deep tobacco and mushroom flavor, without the smokiness and bitterness of other young puerhs (making it seem a couple years older than it really is) I can’t wait to see how this progresses, and overall it’s a very good tea

Bonnie

Keep us posted!

Misty Peak Teas

Your feedback about the shipping is very helpful. I’m so pleased that you saw the beauty and uniqueness of this tea. Please do continue to keep us posted.

Kindly
Nicholas
www.MistyPeakTeas.com

Having a lovely run with this tea again.

Oddly, each steep seems to be very light and buttery ending with a fantastic floral / cherry / apricot that lingers after sip. Last time I got much more flavor out of this tea.

Then it hit me. It was my flavor sucking yixing pot! I had seasoned it the other day and this one came out the best I think as the pot is scented strongly of the sheng pu’er I used. Oh well, need to put more time into the yixing pot so it’ll give back!

Stephanie

I need to try more good puerhs

Misty Peak Teas

So glad you enjoyed it Awkward Soul, you have found great ways to enjoy tea more than most.

@stephanie. Happy to send you some.

AC VK

Perhaps you should try it out in a gaiwan ? Sometimes I also make 2 simultaneous steeping (1 in gaiwan & 1 in yixing teapot) that’s how I realized how bad was the first teapot I bought ;)

First of all I want to thank Nicholas for this generous offering. Secondly please accept my apology for being so late in reviewing it. This is the autumn selection of the 2012 Yiwu. And I again I apologize for adding it on here. Quite frankly, if you blindfolded me and told me it was the spring harvest I would agree. The dried leaves are beautiful and I can see this is a superior tea. My first steeping yields a beautiful, fruity nectar with a wonderful mouthfeel. The next steeping I allow it more time to in Yixing to see where it goes. I still have the fruitiness but with an intensity that goes to my brow and chest. I am going to stop here because it is the afternoon here and I can see this tea ruining my day in a very wonderful way. I will let it ruin my night when I am able to sit and ponder life and all its beauty….

TheTeaFairy

I also like the way you think Charles :-)

Doug F

Your recent reviews have persuaded me to go on a Sheng binge. I just placed an order with Tea Urchin and I’m very excited for it to arrive. I’m sure I’ll be drunk on $200 Sheng samples for the next few weeks.

Charles Thomas Draper

HEHE Rox…. Doug, you are in for some fun with Sheng.

Misty Peak Teas

I would ask Charles for advice on Sheng Pu’er, he seems to really know quality and has a good pallet for Sheng.

mrmopar

Oh this is really good tea!

Charles Thomas Draper

I was more than happy with it and I have had some very fine ones lately. And mrmopar I know you know quality too!

Doug F

I’ve been drinking and loving sheng for a while, but it looks like some of the selections from Tea Urchin are on another level altogether.

Charles Thomas Draper

Yes Doug. I have done a lot of homework to see where the real deal is. I really enjoy this Misty Peaky too!!

Doug F

Good to know. I’ll check them out.

Thank you Nicholas & Misty Peaks for this wonderful cup of Yum!

Although this is a young sheng, it lacks the wild & brash unruliness of so many of the shengs I’ve tried. This is perfectly delicious & refined tea, with a sweet smooth fruity taste. I’ve been drinking it for a couple of hours, & it really is a delicious nectar. I’m probably gonna have to add some of this to my collection too.

Terri HarpLady

When I have money, that is…lol

I received this sample in the mail and immediately began brewing it. I’ve been curious about Misty Peak Teas for quite some time and this was the perfect opportunity to try some of their pu’er.

The dry tea smelled sorta herbacious and a bit earthy. I was also getting a bit of a tobacco-like smell in there. It was interesting to say the least. I experimented with the steep time a little bit as I usually so the first time brewing. I found my sweet spot at about the 9th steep at 3 minutes but each steep was amazing.

1st Steep-30 sec
Slightly grassy. Very fruity. Apple or pear. I can’t place it right now. Lightly smoky. Kinda like walking into a room where a match had been lit. You get whisps of it. The smoke is not in every sip but you catch a bit of it here and there.

2nd Steep-45 sec
I’m getting a little bit more of the smoke. Not overpowering. Still very fruity. Definitely apple this time. A bit of spice…sometimes nutmeg, sometimes clove.

3rd Steep-1 minute
Tastes almost exactly like apricot jam. I am not even kidding. This pu’er is so gentle yet flavorful.

4th Steep-1.30 minutes
Still tastes like apricot jam but with a bit more astringency. Seems like it pops up in later brews. There is also something minty going on.

5th Steep-2 minutes
A little bit more astringent. Not in an overpowering way and nothing close to what I expect from a young sheng but just enough that you notice it. Still tastes like apricot but it’s getting sweeter.

6th, 7th, 8th Steeps-2.30 minutes
Very mellow steeps. All of a sudden, the apricots are gone and replaced by pears and honey. Very very surprising.

9th Steep-3 minutes
When I brew a tea for the first time, especially a pu’er, I experiment with different brew times to find the sweet spot—sometimes I get a bit crazy. I think 3 minutes is this tea’s sweet spot. At least for me. This steep reminds me of roasted pears with a caramel sauce and spices. It tastes like the holidays.

10th Steep-5 minutes
Steeped at 5 minutes just to see if I could without getting kicked in the face with astringency. And I didn’t. So smooth and it tastes like apples, pears and a spicy cinnamon.

11th Steep-10 minutes
If you’re going to push it far why not push it farther? So I did and steeped for 10 minutes. It’s ridiculous and bordering on tea abuse but it worked well. I probably wouldn’t do this earlier but in later steeps, why not? It was a bit astringent but not the unpleasant sort. Kind of minty actually.

12th Steep-Overnight
In my defense, I’m all allergied up and I fell asleep while brewing. But it was still good in the morning when I did drink it. It tasted like pears and molasses. Not bad.

Overall, this is one of the best sheng pu’ers I have ever tried. It’s young but it’s gentle and flavorful. I’m considering buying a cake because I can only imagine how lovely this tea will be with some age on it.

Thank you to Misty Peak Teas for the generous sample.

Misty Peak Teas

Thank you for your eloquent descriptions. Your descriptions are very accurate.

Enjoy and have a great week.

mrmopar

Very exquisite sheng for sure.

A wonderful tea that has seen much of the world since we have been able to share it.

Read our reviews here on on our website. I am a fan of this tea, just like so many others. Lets enjoy it together.

SimpliciTEA

I advise you NOT to give a numerical rating to your teas.

This guideline is listed in a discussion posted by the Steepster Overlord, Jason:

“Also, don’t rate your own teas because of the (obvious) conflict of interest. It’s misleading and everyone will figure it out anyways – you’ll turn away the very customers you’re trying to attract.”

Got this as a free sample directly from Misty Peak, woo hoo. My first pu erh (I bought a box of it for cheap at an asian grocery store years and years ago, but never actually opened it, oops). I had some trepidation because a lot of the funkier, more esoteric but more fiercely beloved types of teas among aficionados—oolong and pu erh!—I still don’t seem too into due to what I perceive as a funky, seaweed-y, marshy element. But this was a really great introduction for me—I’m guessing it’s relatively mild as pu erhs go because dry and brewed it doesn’t smell that funky or marshy, and while there is some of that salty butteriness and a bit of vegetal, seaweed-like character in the flavor it’s not overpowering at all. There’s also a clean, sweet-like-fresh-water flavor I’m really digging. Impressed with the texture too; it has a medium body, just right (and more than I was expecting for some reason), with a luscious, silky mouthfeel. I like it! The copy is right in that this is a tea for contemplation, one to take your time with.

Misty Peak Teas

You are wonderful at describing your feelings and the teas. Thank you for your feedback and continue to enjoy it. It gets really interested around the 6-10th steeping.

Enjoy :)

ifjuly

Thanks again for giving me the chance to try it! I’m really enjoying it—on my 4th steep as I type. (:

Probably one of the best Pu’ers I have had. The price was really fair and it came with very specific instructions on how to brew it, so I actually followed them! Go me.

The insctructions said to pour out the first 2-3 washes, but I was curious(why not) and drank them anyway. They were really good! Why am I dumping these out? I think it is a time when the leaves are opening up and cleaning them and whatnot.

I drank the tea in a very quite room, and the tea made the room quieter, but brighter and made me more aware. It calmed me down a lot. The first 3-5 brew were very cherry/apricot like and I brewed it all the way until the 12th or so pot. It got sweeter as time went by, but not sweet overall. A really complex tea: basically meaning it had a lot to it.

I loved it, yay!

PS- I made it in a gaiwan, and steeped it for up to a minute a few times to just try it out, but mostly its best around 10-15 seconds.

This tea is very nice.

I am newer to these kinds of teas and it is my first green puerh, but I have tried the black before and it is nothing like this.

The aging is wonderful, but I understand that most black puerhs are not aged, only processed to be black. This tea is going to be wonderful for aging as the tea is perfect now.

I bought two of the cakes, and will buy more in the future if they are still available. I do agree that Yiwu produces the better of the green puerh teas because I tried a different one recently that was not as complex or flavorful as this. The tea is a tea for all times of the day, so that makes me feel good! Haha. Hope this helps others.

Oh ya, don’t steep it for more than 30-40 seconds, as it is full leaves and has no need to be steeped that long! Held its flavor until the 10th or 11th steeping.

One guess as to what I am doing right now! Yep, still painting, I got more or less none done yesterday since I spent the day with Ben, it was totally worth it so no regrets. Sadly I am not sure how much I will get done today since I have a splitting headache and staring at tiny lines on a 10mm miniature is not necessarily the best cure for it, but hopefully it will clear up. If not I shall lie in bed and play games on my phone, it would be on the Xbox 360 but Ben currently has it in pieces making it hard to play anything.

I am about to introduce you guys to possibly the biggest puerh leaves I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Yi Wu Shan Da Ye Sheng Bing Stone-Pressed (Yiwu Mountain Green Puer Cake) 2014 from Misty Peaks Tea had such epic long leaves that I was afraid they would not fit in my teapot, but fortunately they did perfectly, and I did not need to break a single one! This tea is described as a meditative tea, one to uplift or calm depending on your needs, well looks like this will be a tea I can spend the day with while painting. So, sniffing time, and let me say the aroma of these leaves is powerful, I was impressed, and let out a little maniacal giggle of excitement. One of the reasons I like drinking my tea solo, I tend to make a whole bunch of weird noises while drinking it! So, those powerful notes are a blend of sweet and savory, with notes of dried apples, hay, a bit of spinach, a tiny bit of distant floral (reminds me of fruit tree blossoms) a little bit of woodiness, and wonderful finish of camphor at the finish. I adore that camphor note, really, Sheng puerh with a strong camphor presence has become my go-to tea to drink when I have a cold, the aroma of it fills me with a sense of relief, even when I feel fine.

So after a short rinse and subsequent short steep it is time to stick my nose in my teapot and enjoy the leaves. Someone remind me that next time I review a rosy tea I need to make a ‘stop and smell the roses’ pun, I make too few tea related puns as it is. The aroma of the wet leaves is one of the cleanest smelling Sheng pu’s I have ever sniffed, not saying I have really smelled any that were dirty, but this one has a crispness to it. The same crispness that spring water and clean mountain air have, it has the crispness of home to it, which I find immensely soothing. There are notes of fresh hay and straw, cut grass, oak bark (specifically green wood rather than old dried up bark) fruit tree blossoms, a bit of dried fruit, and again a finish of olfactory cooling camphor. The liquid is a blend of honey, hay, flowers, and camphor. Really liking the flowery notes, I do not run into fruit tree flowers very often.

Well, I can safely say that this Sheng has all of the flavor notes I like in a Sheng, plus some extra bits that are awesome! It is not overly sweet and it is very smooth in both taste and mouthfeel. The tea starts out with a delicate smokiness and flowery notes, very much so a blend of apple blossoms and a touch of strawflower. This transitions to freshly cut grass and a distant note of fruit, and a finish of camphor giving a cooling effect.

The aroma of the second steep is lovely, notes of dried apples and apricots, a tiny bit of hay and grass, and a finish of honey and camphor. Let me start out by saying that wow this tea is smooth, like almost buttery in both texture and taste (unsalted of course) but leaning towards the honey sweet side, with a nice hint of apple blossoms. This moves to dried apples and fresh apricots with a slight hint of hay. For the finish there is a fairly mild cooling camphor note and a lingering honey sweetness.

Wee, time three! (If you were curious, it was around steep three when I finally finished giving all my Scourge a Drakenhoe Nightshade Shade, so tea while waiting for them to dry seems like a good idea) the aroma is so sweet, blending honey and dried apples with a hint of hay and camphor, I am amazed at how fruity this Sheng is in both aroma and taste. And speaking of taste, this steep is very similar to the previous steep, but with a bit more sweetness and apple notes, also the camphor at the end is more prominent.

So like yesterday I did my customary finish writing at steep three, but continued on with the tea up until steep eight. I am pretty sure the tea could have still gone further, but I was very tea drunk at this point and needed to call it quits, alas, I lack tea stamina, clearly I need to train more. I can say that steep four was my favorite by far, it perfectly balanced camphor and sweetness, later steeps still had both notes, but they were diminishing. Replacing them were notes of hay, grass, and green things along with a bit of smoke that cropped up ever so often very faintly. I do not say this often, but I have to get myself a cake of this tea, usually I just want samples of Puerh because that stuff is a commitment, you do not just buy Puerh, you become friends with it, and I want to become friends with this tea. I want us to go on shopping dates and have long conversations, it just made me feel so good after drinking it that I need it in my collection.

For blog and photos: Yi Wu Shan Da Ye Sheng Bing Stone-Pressed (Yiwu Mountain Green Puer Cake) 2014

Maddy Barone

I just love your tea notes!

Stephanie