2014 Sheng Pu'erh - Autumn

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Astringent, Bitter, Sour, Vegetal, Honey, Mineral, Nectar, Oak wood, Sweet, Apricot, Cream, Floral, Fruity, Green Apple, Hibiscus, Jam, Jasmine, Orange, Peach, Pleasantly Sour, Plums, Raisins, Smoke, Soap, Tannic, Vanilla, Grass, Citrus
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Misty Peak Teas

• “The number one tea, beating out tens of thousands of other teas worldwide, ranked by us experts here at Steepster, at least at some point. So, this is my third sheng ever. Is it going to give me a...” Read full tasting note
    kristinalee 71 tasting notes
  • “Boychik was kind enough to send me a sample of this. This is better than a lot of the young sheng, but still not to my tastes. The earlier steeps are pretty sweet, a little hay ish, but...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 983 tasting notes
  • “I believe this is the 2014 raw pu’erh I got a sample from for Misty Peaks: The leaf is quite appealing as there are a few silver strands in the dark green sheng. I thought that the first few...” Read full tasting note
    Proust614 950 tasting notes
  • “I’ve been drooling over this companies products for awhile, and I have finally received one! This was a strange but wonderful brew! The cake is a forest of colors. It is spotted with deep...” Read full tasting note
    Haveteawilltravel 382 tasting notes

From Misty Peak Teas

Autumn: 2014 bing of Autumn Pu’er
200 gram Bing of the newest Autumn Pu’er Tea. Fresh from the farm. Picked and processed in January 2014 by the family. All hand processed, artisan, chemical free, stone pressed, un-blended, 200+ year old trees. Picking to processing to pressing, all done by the family.

A true Pu’er; how it has been enjoyed for millenniums.

If you want a personalized message written on the wrapper(either for memory sake or for a gift); let us know. English or Mandarin.

About Misty Peak Teas View company

Misty Peak Teas offers the world's oldest tea, Pu'er, as it never has been before. We connect the tea drinker with the tea farmer; allowing each person a chance to understand the many benefits and interests in this timeless leaf, as it was thousands of years ago. Misty Peak Teas is dedicated to providing the highest quality while allowing the farmer a fair value for their crop and the world a chance to enjoy an incredible pure tea.

The number one tea, beating out tens of thousands of other teas worldwide, ranked by us experts here at Steepster, at least at some point. So, this is my third sheng ever. Is it going to give me a spiritual experience? Change my life? Make me a better person? I mean, it’s number one, after all, meaning it beats out rare teas that cost thousands of dollars. It had better be something special. Plus! It’s in this handy little ball shape, an innovation so groundbreaking that the company views it as intellectual property. Patent-pending, you guys!

Anyway, I’m even putting aside the douchebro marketing tactics for a second. You see, Misty Peaks would like me to give out its adorable little balls to all my friends who are “not a size zero” in order to fat-shame them into buying expensive teas. Because it believes all us women over a size zero are not f***able or something, and we had better do something about it!

Steeps 1 and 2, 5 seconds each: Astringent, vegetal. Blech. Disappointing because the wet leaves smell sweet and molassesy. No spiritual epiphanies yet. I like this better than a mushroom-y tea, but it’s far too vegetal for me to enjoy so far. I will withhold a number rating until I have a few more steeps, just to see if it gets any better. Why? Because I am fair, even to shitty companies that I don’t like.

Steeps 3 and 4 , 7 seconds each: Astringent, no new developments. I’m not even drinking all of it — tasting and then pouring the steeps out.

Steeps 5 and 6: And… Yep, still not tasting anything that redeems this for me. Good thing I can live without it, because I never want to purchase from this company again.

As this was going down, I kept thinking the flavor reminded me of something, but I couldn’t figure out what. Then it came to me while I was pondering the unpleasant sour aftertaste: It tastes like acid reflux. Mmmm!

I guess sheng quite this young is just not for me.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Sour, Vegetal

I have this one in the cake and really liked it but I prefer some of the young shengs that are more like green. It depends on what you like and want in a sheng. I can’t blame you for not purchasing again. As much as I liked their tea, the way they have behaved is unexceptable. MPT is crossed off my list too.

I think it was just too sour for me.

I brew my young shengs at lower temps, so I am tempted to brew it at boiling to see if I get the Bile taste, I know that in the past when I boiled sheng I found it bitter and kinda gross.

Hm… Interesting. What temperature do you usually use? I guess I kinda…figured boiling was the safest thing to do with something other than yogurt that has live bacteria in it. It’s really not an issue?

Try lower temps, I like the bitterness that turns into bittersweet and sweet notes later. But a lot of Shengs are better at 205F, and even at 195F for reduced bitterness and astringency.

I normally do sheng at 190-195f.

I also brew all the young shengs at lower temperatures 80-90C. They are all too bitter at higher temperatures.

Okay good to know, so more green tea type brewing parameters? And this is all strictly…well, safe?

In drinking hundreds of teas over the last year it seems that the better the tea the better it will perform with boiling water. If a tea is brewing harsh try lowering steep times or pulling some leaves out. When the tea starts to tire add them back in. That all said, even the best you shengs will never be all smooth and sweetness when young, they need time to shed their bitter and floral characteristics. For me most sheng won’t even begin to hit its stride for 6 – 10 years depends on the individual tea and storage

Boychik was kind enough to send me a sample of this.

This is better than a lot of the young sheng, but still not to my tastes. The earlier steeps are pretty sweet, a little hay ish, but it’s sharp. Nit really bitter, but lots of top notes. The more I steeped it the grassier and more bitter it got. I can understand why others like this, but it’s not for me.
Thanks boychik for the opportunityto try it.

Interesting, i dont find it harsh at all. glad you tried ;)

I believe this is the 2014 raw pu’erh I got a sample from for Misty Peaks:
The leaf is quite appealing as there are a few silver strands in the dark green sheng. I thought that the first few brews would be bitter since it’s a newer pu’erh. Interestingly enough this was not bitter from steep #1. Quite nicely done. Though, I’m still a shou guy for sure :/

I’ve been drooling over this companies products for awhile, and I have finally received one! This was a strange but wonderful brew! The cake is a forest of colors. It is spotted with deep green, mudded yellow, and golden brown. The cake broke apart smoothly without harming the integrity of the leaves (good sign). It carried a light forest scent and granite. I brewed this in my yixing. I washed the leaves once and gave it a whiff. My tea was filled with a sweet tone. This tone carried a heavy earth flavor and slight citrus undertone. The liquor was a deep yellow and thick. The taste was incredibly surprising. I did not encounter even the slightest of bitterness in any of the steepings. It was completely smooth and sweet. I actually added more leaves to increase the potency. The flavor was a smooth apricot and mineral. Once I reached about the sixth steeping it released an amazing syrup. My mouth became engulfed with a honey and oak flavor. This brew lasted well into the double digits and is incredibly silky. If you don’t enjoy a bitter Sheng then this is the brew for you. I am very grateful to have enjoyed this cake!

Flavors: Honey, Mineral, Nectar, Oak wood, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Last one from the Sheng and Shou TTB. This is the loose leaf version, but I didn’t want to create a new “tea” for this note.

Brewed gongfu-style with a ceramic gaiwan. Used enough leaf to fill half the gaiwan. 10 second rinse. Steeping times: 5, 8, 12, 15, 20, 30, 60, 90, 120.

Despite being an autumn sheng, spring is in the dry leaf, which smells of flowers, notably hyacinths, and a newly mowed lawn. The wet leaf aroma reminds me of leafhopper oolongs. Purely stonefruit after the rinse, and then i becomes richly jam-like.

The liquor is a clear pale gold. Slightly thick texture. Light-bodied. Bright personality. Uplifting yet calming feel. The first couple infusions resemble white tea. Airy feel, tastes of field grass. Beginning with the third infusion, this becomes more sheng-like – sweet grass and asparagus notes appear. Infusions eight and nine are fruitier, very fruity. Plum lingers in the mouth long after the very last sip.

The dry leaf is something to admire. I think this is my first sheng in which the leaves are so long, unbroken and full. They’re also lovely in color and texture.

5 g 3 OZ / 88 ML
Dr Jim

I was just thinking that I was hoping to see more reviews coming from the TTB, then when I went to my dashboard I saw this. Cheered me up!

@Dr Jim – I am about to start digging into the ones I took from it and will be posting in the next week

Woohoo! Too bad it’s my last one :P

Dr Jim

You should have taken more!

Dr Jim

I shouldn’t throw any stones. I have a lot of trouble writing reviews of pu-erh. Seems like everything tastes of wood or tobacco. I read these reviews of various fruits, but I have real trouble seeing it. I think my palate isn’t refined enough.

You should write Dr Jim. Took me long time but I found practice/drinking it brought me along.

I didn’t have enough in my stash to replace what I took, but I’ll have more the next round for sure!

The first time I drank sheng – from Verdant, two years ago – it tasted like bitter dry grass. I was totally turned off. I’ve been reading people’s notes over the past few months and the fruit notes they tasted made me too curious to pass on trying more sheng. The amount I’ve been drinking of late escalated because of the box. I guess my palate evolves rapidly. I’m still getting grass or hay or tobacco (blurgggh) but I’m getting there. I liked shou right away, and I’m slowly coming to like sheng. And I like the qi that comes drinking it. It’s like a clearer “tea tipsy” compared to what shou causes.

I’ve done one of the teas I took, and I plan to do more this week. I didn’t want to spend too much more time with the box since it sat there unopened for so long while I was sick. I just jumped in, picked a handful out and sent it on its way.

Dr Jim

That’s pretty much what everyone did. I figured with pu-erh, people use so much for a pot that it made sense to just take one sample. For the next circuit I intend to ask people how that worked out and whether it makes more sense to let people take all they want. The up-side is that the box is just flying around the country. We’ve had 8 people have the box in only 40 days, which has to be some kind of TTB record.

For a key to my rating scale, check out my bio.

A great everyday pu’er, has mellowed out nicely since I purchased it (was too bitter to drink back in spring 2015). The on palate flavor is okay, not incredibly smooth but not too tannic either. The 回甘 (sweet finish) is something else though – it just continues to develop and lasts a good hour! Apricot jam, dragonfruit, oranges, vanilla. Yum!

Flavors: Apricot, Cream, Floral, Fruity, Green Apple, Hibiscus, Honey, Jam, Jasmine, Mineral, Orange, Peach, Pleasantly Sour, Plums, Raisins, Smoke, Soap, Tannic, Vanilla

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 125 ML

I’ve tried this tea twice now after it came in. I was really hoping to love this as I was crazy about the 2013 mao cha from Misty Peak and its lovely fruity flavor.

To me this seems more like a standard type of sheng. It has a light color with light smoke notes, a bit of floral, lemon and a bittersweet finish. I threw the first steep out and have been doing short infusions of it. It starts to mellow out a bit after steep #3, but I am just not getting plum or peach flavor from this at all, even after 7 steeps.

So I am a bit torn on how to give this a rating for now. It is definitely a nice, young sheng but I was hoping for something a little different, or a little more like the product description, anyway. It isn’t terribly aggressive but I also think it could benefit from a few years of aging.

I kinda feel the same way. I’ve had it a couple of times and it was nice, but it didn’t have as much flavor as I was expecting. I haven’t reviewed it yet because I was trying to decide what I thought about it.

@Tealizzy – yeah it was pricey too in my opinion for something I don’t really love. Of course I know people pay a lot more money for shengs but generally I am not one of those people. ;)

Tea for Me Please - Nicole Martin

I find that I like longer brews with this one. I’ll do a really short rinse and then steep it in a gaiwan for about 30 seconds.

Thanks Nicole, I’ll try it. I was a bit worried about steeping it for that long because of the bitterness factor.

First let me just say I am new to Pu’er tea. I’ve tried some other Pu’er from misty peak teas that I loved, but this might be my favorite. It has a soft flavor, and fills the drinker with peace and tranquility. Truly an uplifting tea.

Meh, just not my thing I guess. I did my first gong fu styled brewing with my new tiny teapot and my new teacups. I tried three steepings of it and every one tasted the same… vegetal, almost flavorless. Maybe my pallet is just too unrefined but it tasted like grass-water.

Flavors: Grass, Mineral, Vegetal

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

What a shame! Do you like shengs in general?

maybe ripe puerh is more for you

I don’t know the difference between sheng and shou. :D
And I don’t know which is ripe or which is raw.
I’m newb. :D

Sheng = raw. Aged pu’erh.
Shou = ripe. Feremented pu’erh.

I’m a newb too, Sarsonator can correct me if I’m wrong! :P

You’re correct, but I’m a noob, too! I am reading a book on pu’erh now. Really interesting stuff. I’m liking shengs better so far. They taste fresh and fruity for the most part.

Shous don’t taste bad, but they tend to taste more earthy to me and sometimes thats all I can taste! I’m hoping they grow on me.

I haven’t tried any sheng yet. Really want to though!

I will try it again and see how I like it next time.

Do you guys usually sweeten these?

I’ve only tried a handful of shengs, mostly Mandala. I’ve personally found them to be a little sweet and fruity on their own, so I didn’t add anything.

Shous, on the other hand… well they tend to be more earthy, so I have added maple syrup to a couple. Much better! In fact, there were a few I tried that didn’t make me jump for joy, so I think I’ll go back and try them again with a little maple. Thanks for reminding me, even though you may not have meant to! :)

I sweeten everything but that’s just me

What was your temp and how long steeps? I start with 200F then increase to off boil
Very short steeps, 5/10/15 sec. No sugar for me
I still like shou a little more( my first love). It taste more like coffee. You may like it more

Green Tea Guru

I started on Shou and got hooked, young Sheng compared is like night and day. I love both.

Green Tea Guru I can echo the same thing.

I’ve only had one sheng. Didn’t like it :(

Green Tea Guru

Madametj , don’t give up, there is a wide variety in Sheng, try a selection of samples from different areas.

With the heavenly sounds of the Guzheng playing in the background, I decided to write a review for this tea. It truly looks beautiful as a soft compression brings out the beauty in each and every tea leaf. Truly, a piece of art to look at. The soft compression allows me to break off 6 grams while maintaining the integrity of the leaves – always a good sign. I briefly wash the tea and pour 100 mL (+/- 5 mL or so) of water into the gaiwan and watch the two mediums intertwine. I feel a great tranquility during the steeping as the beautiful tea leaves work their magic along with the sounds of the guzheng. The wet leaves have a soft delightful aroma that I cannot describe, but have found it common among yiwus. The soup has a bright golden colour and exhibits no cloudiness whatsoever. The processing was, clearly, very well done and in a clean environment. The soup is thick in the mouth with a charming mouthfeel. Vegetal, citrus notes and a slight smokiness seem to come to mind when drinking the soup, but perhaps what I find most enjoyable is the teas softness. I find that this tea is very enjoyable and is comparable to some gushus out there that cost 2-3 times more. I stand behind this tea. 85/100

P.S I will definitely be drying one of the leaves and adding it to my scrapbook!

Flavors: Citrus, Smoke, Vegetal