2014 Yiwu Sheng Pu'erh - Autumn

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Honey, Mineral, Nectar, Oak wood, Sweet, Apricot, Green Apple, Jasmine, Peach, Plums, Smoke, Tannic, Grass, Vegetal, Citrus
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Ben Marcus-Willers (馬維彬)

From Misty Peak Teas

Autumn: 2014 bing of Sheng Yiwu Mtn Autumn Pu’er
200 gram Bing of the newest Autumn Pu’er Tea. Fresh from the farm. Picked and processed in January 2014 by the family. All hand processed, artisan, chemical free, stone pressed, un-blended, 200+ year old trees. Picking to processing to pressing, all done by the family.

A true Pu’er; how it has been enjoyed for millenniums.

If you want a personalized message written on the wrapper(either for memory sake or for a gift); let us know. English or Mandarin.

About Misty Peak Teas View company

Misty Peak Teas offers the world's oldest tea, Pu'er, as it never has been before. We connect the tea drinker with the tea farmer; allowing each person a chance to understand the many benefits and interests in this timeless leaf, as it was thousands of years ago. Misty Peak Teas is dedicated to providing the highest quality while allowing the farmer a fair value for their crop and the world a chance to enjoy an incredible pure tea.

Boychik was kind enough to send me a sample of this.

This is better than a lot of the young sheng, but still not to my tastes. The earlier steeps are pretty sweet, a little hay ish, but it’s sharp. Nit really bitter, but lots of top notes. The more I steeped it the grassier and more bitter it got. I can understand why others like this, but it’s not for me.
Thanks boychik for the opportunityto try it.

boychik

Interesting, i dont find it harsh at all. glad you tried ;)

I believe this is the 2014 raw pu’erh I got a sample from for Misty Peaks:
The leaf is quite appealing as there are a few silver strands in the dark green sheng. I thought that the first few brews would be bitter since it’s a newer pu’erh. Interestingly enough this was not bitter from steep #1. Quite nicely done. Though, I’m still a shou guy for sure :/

I’ve been drooling over this companies products for awhile, and I have finally received one! This was a strange but wonderful brew! The cake is a forest of colors. It is spotted with deep green, mudded yellow, and golden brown. The cake broke apart smoothly without harming the integrity of the leaves (good sign). It carried a light forest scent and granite. I brewed this in my yixing. I washed the leaves once and gave it a whiff. My tea was filled with a sweet tone. This tone carried a heavy earth flavor and slight citrus undertone. The liquor was a deep yellow and thick. The taste was incredibly surprising. I did not encounter even the slightest of bitterness in any of the steepings. It was completely smooth and sweet. I actually added more leaves to increase the potency. The flavor was a smooth apricot and mineral. Once I reached about the sixth steeping it released an amazing syrup. My mouth became engulfed with a honey and oak flavor. This brew lasted well into the double digits and is incredibly silky. If you don’t enjoy a bitter Sheng then this is the brew for you. I am very grateful to have enjoyed this cake!

Flavors: Honey, Mineral, Nectar, Oak wood, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Last one from the Sheng and Shou TTB. This is the loose leaf version, but I didn’t want to create a new “tea” for this note.

Brewed gongfu-style with a ceramic gaiwan. Used enough leaf to fill half the gaiwan. 10 second rinse. Steeping times: 5, 8, 12, 15, 20, 30, 60, 90, 120.

Despite being an autumn sheng, spring is in the dry leaf, which smells of flowers, notably hyacinths, and a newly mowed lawn. The wet leaf aroma reminds me of leafhopper oolongs. Purely stonefruit after the rinse, and then i becomes richly jam-like.

The liquor is a clear pale gold. Slightly thick texture. Light-bodied. Bright personality. Uplifting yet calming feel. The first couple infusions resemble white tea. Airy feel, tastes of field grass. Beginning with the third infusion, this becomes more sheng-like – sweet grass and asparagus notes appear. Infusions eight and nine are fruitier, very fruity. Plum lingers in the mouth long after the very last sip.

The dry leaf is something to admire. I think this is my first sheng in which the leaves are so long, unbroken and full. They’re also lovely in color and texture.

Dr Jim

I was just thinking that I was hoping to see more reviews coming from the TTB, then when I went to my dashboard I saw this. Cheered me up!

MzPriss

@Dr Jim – I am about to start digging into the ones I took from it and will be posting in the next week

KiwiDelight

Woohoo! Too bad it’s my last one :P

Dr Jim

You should have taken more!

Dr Jim

I shouldn’t throw any stones. I have a lot of trouble writing reviews of pu-erh. Seems like everything tastes of wood or tobacco. I read these reviews of various fruits, but I have real trouble seeing it. I think my palate isn’t refined enough.

mrmopar

You should write Dr Jim. Took me long time but I found practice/drinking it brought me along.

KiwiDelight

I didn’t have enough in my stash to replace what I took, but I’ll have more the next round for sure!

The first time I drank sheng – from Verdant, two years ago – it tasted like bitter dry grass. I was totally turned off. I’ve been reading people’s notes over the past few months and the fruit notes they tasted made me too curious to pass on trying more sheng. The amount I’ve been drinking of late escalated because of the box. I guess my palate evolves rapidly. I’m still getting grass or hay or tobacco (blurgggh) but I’m getting there. I liked shou right away, and I’m slowly coming to like sheng. And I like the qi that comes drinking it. It’s like a clearer “tea tipsy” compared to what shou causes.

Cheri

I’ve done one of the teas I took, and I plan to do more this week. I didn’t want to spend too much more time with the box since it sat there unopened for so long while I was sick. I just jumped in, picked a handful out and sent it on its way.

Dr Jim

That’s pretty much what everyone did. I figured with pu-erh, people use so much for a pot that it made sense to just take one sample. For the next circuit I intend to ask people how that worked out and whether it makes more sense to let people take all they want. The up-side is that the box is just flying around the country. We’ve had 8 people have the box in only 40 days, which has to be some kind of TTB record.

I’ve tried this tea twice now after it came in. I was really hoping to love this as I was crazy about the 2013 mao cha from Misty Peak and its lovely fruity flavor.

To me this seems more like a standard type of sheng. It has a light color with light smoke notes, a bit of floral, lemon and a bittersweet finish. I threw the first steep out and have been doing short infusions of it. It starts to mellow out a bit after steep #3, but I am just not getting plum or peach flavor from this at all, even after 7 steeps.

So I am a bit torn on how to give this a rating for now. It is definitely a nice, young sheng but I was hoping for something a little different, or a little more like the product description, anyway. It isn’t terribly aggressive but I also think it could benefit from a few years of aging.

Tealizzy

I kinda feel the same way. I’ve had it a couple of times and it was nice, but it didn’t have as much flavor as I was expecting. I haven’t reviewed it yet because I was trying to decide what I thought about it.

TeaBrat

@Tealizzy – yeah it was pricey too in my opinion for something I don’t really love. Of course I know people pay a lot more money for shengs but generally I am not one of those people. ;)

Tea for Me Please - Nicole Martin

I find that I like longer brews with this one. I’ll do a really short rinse and then steep it in a gaiwan for about 30 seconds.

TeaBrat

Thanks Nicole, I’ll try it. I was a bit worried about steeping it for that long because of the bitterness factor.

First let me just say I am new to Pu’er tea. I’ve tried some other Pu’er from misty peak teas that I loved, but this might be my favorite. It has a soft flavor, and fills the drinker with peace and tranquility. Truly an uplifting tea.

Meh, just not my thing I guess. I did my first gong fu styled brewing with my new tiny teapot and my new teacups. I tried three steepings of it and every one tasted the same… vegetal, almost flavorless. Maybe my pallet is just too unrefined but it tasted like grass-water.

Flavors: Grass, Mineral, Vegetal

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Sarsonator

What a shame! Do you like shengs in general?

madametj

maybe ripe puerh is more for you

Arshness

I don’t know the difference between sheng and shou. :D
And I don’t know which is ripe or which is raw.
I’m newb. :D

madametj

Sheng = raw. Aged pu’erh.
Shou = ripe. Feremented pu’erh.

I’m a newb too, Sarsonator can correct me if I’m wrong! :P

Sarsonator

You’re correct, but I’m a noob, too! I am reading a book on pu’erh now. Really interesting stuff. I’m liking shengs better so far. They taste fresh and fruity for the most part.

Shous don’t taste bad, but they tend to taste more earthy to me and sometimes thats all I can taste! I’m hoping they grow on me.

madametj

I haven’t tried any sheng yet. Really want to though!

Arshness

I will try it again and see how I like it next time.

Do you guys usually sweeten these?

Sarsonator

I’ve only tried a handful of shengs, mostly Mandala. I’ve personally found them to be a little sweet and fruity on their own, so I didn’t add anything.

Shous, on the other hand… well they tend to be more earthy, so I have added maple syrup to a couple. Much better! In fact, there were a few I tried that didn’t make me jump for joy, so I think I’ll go back and try them again with a little maple. Thanks for reminding me, even though you may not have meant to! :)

madametj

I sweeten everything but that’s just me

boychik

What was your temp and how long steeps? I start with 200F then increase to off boil
Very short steeps, 5/10/15 sec. No sugar for me
I still like shou a little more( my first love). It taste more like coffee. You may like it more

Green Tea Guru

I started on Shou and got hooked, young Sheng compared is like night and day. I love both.

mrmopar

Green Tea Guru I can echo the same thing.

I’ve only had one sheng. Didn’t like it :(

Green Tea Guru

Madametj , don’t give up, there is a wide variety in Sheng, try a selection of samples from different areas.

With the heavenly sounds of the Guzheng playing in the background, I decided to write a review for this tea. It truly looks beautiful as a soft compression brings out the beauty in each and every tea leaf. Truly, a piece of art to look at. The soft compression allows me to break off 6 grams while maintaining the integrity of the leaves – always a good sign. I briefly wash the tea and pour 100 mL (+/- 5 mL or so) of water into the gaiwan and watch the two mediums intertwine. I feel a great tranquility during the steeping as the beautiful tea leaves work their magic along with the sounds of the guzheng. The wet leaves have a soft delightful aroma that I cannot describe, but have found it common among yiwus. The soup has a bright golden colour and exhibits no cloudiness whatsoever. The processing was, clearly, very well done and in a clean environment. The soup is thick in the mouth with a charming mouthfeel. Vegetal, citrus notes and a slight smokiness seem to come to mind when drinking the soup, but perhaps what I find most enjoyable is the teas softness. I find that this tea is very enjoyable and is comparable to some gushus out there that cost 2-3 times more. I stand behind this tea. 85/100

P.S I will definitely be drying one of the leaves and adding it to my scrapbook!

Flavors: Citrus, Smoke, Vegetal

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’m writing this in May (late Spring) 2014. Without the aid of time travel, I’m not sure how this 2014 Autumn puerh could possibly exist yet.

Lion

The tea is from last autumn’s harvest in 2013, but is pressed in January 2014. Many puer are categorized by the year they are completed and begin to be sold, not by the year of the harvest. :)

Very good sheng pu’er! Tough would be on whether I like this 2014/2013 autumn or Misty Peak Teas’ 2012 autumn. Both are good, though very different.
This 2014 autumn is quite complex, yet consistent through each cup and infusion. 15 infusion I got great flavor contrast between a dry, earthy forest and hazelnut flavor, with a tangy citrus peach/persimmon notes, all with a very good thick texture of cream. I found at the 3rd steeping the flavor got very crisp and delicious, with the 9th steeping being fantastic as well.

This sheng also has a power of getting you to sip slowly, enjoying the cup and the lingering aftertaste.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/autumn-2014-sheng-yiwu-mountain-puer-misty-peak-teas-oolong-owl-tea-review/

Hmm, I got 15 infusions, but I’m sure I can squeak out a few more later in the day!