Honey Black Lemon Tea Balls

Black Food Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

1 Tasting Note View all

• “I can’t believe it has been 3 years since I last ordered from Mountain Stream Teas. After drinking two samples from them that were clearly rancid (not stale), I moved on to other avenues. This...” Read full tasting note

From Mountain Stream Teas

Very similar to our Pomelo Tea Balls, Honey Black Lemon Tea Balls are much less medicinal tasting. Honey Fragrance Black Tea is mixed with the pulp of a lemon before being placed back in the intact lemon peel and then processed in the traditional Hakka way. Through a series of steaming, sun drying, and baking these ingredients create a tea ball that can be aged or drunk right away, and has a unique flavor profile that you can’t find anywhere else!

Lemon high notes and a touch of sourness give way to rich Honey Fragrance Black tea flavors in this pleasant tasting tea. With more age the flavors meld amazingly well to give you a smooth, powerful lemony black tea. Don’t forget a little of the peel when you brew!

While the Pomelo Tea Balls were used traditionally as a medicine, these Lemon Tea Balls are very similar, but taste better.

It is a living tea, one of a kind, and will only get better with age. If you do plan on storing it make sure the area you store it in is very dry. Throwing it in a ziplock bag would be a good idea as well!

Like all our teas, there are no artificial added flavors, colors or chemicals in this tea. All flavors are completely natural and agrochemical-free!

Elevation: 300m

Status: Agrochemical free garden

Cultivar: Big Leaf Oolong Honey Fragrance Black Tea and Organic Lemons

Oxidization: 100% for the tea

Season: Winter 2019

Method: Traditional Hakka Dried Fruit Tea Processing

Region: Rueishuei, Hualien

Recommend Brewing Style: ~100C water, 5-10g of tea and peel

You can treat it like a puer, or a black tea, or even a pour over coffee. Water to eat ratio is also up to you. You can include the orange husk or just chip out the tea. It seems drinking it with the peel is a much better experience as the fruity sweet sour taste is more pronounced. Treat it like a puer with short steeps seems to work well also.

While this tea is legally preserved for export, it may fall under gray areas for some bureaucrats/zealots. If it does get confiscated unjustly at customs please rest assured that we will refund the money to you. We will take that risk upon ourselves!*

About Mountain Stream Teas View company

1 Tasting Note

I can’t believe it has been 3 years since I last ordered from Mountain Stream Teas. After drinking two samples from them that were clearly rancid (not stale), I moved on to other avenues. This year, I felt called to them again, something about wanting, for whatever reason, to try some less than perfect leaf. They have a range of certified organic and no pesticide teas. There are the familiar balled oolong and some lesser known styles of Taiwanese tea, both processed in traditional and experimental manners.

This tea is a part of a series of tea-stuffed citrus fruits that I think Mountain Stream Teas released in the past year or two. Cursory reading shows this method of preserving tea originated with the Hakka people of China and the knowledge migrated with them to Taiwan.

I’m very much a citrus lover and have enjoyed but never been wowed by shou pu’er stuffed oranges/tangerines. When I saw the combination of teas and citrus fruits, I had to try a few. They offer black tea stuffed lemons and pomelos and an oolong stuffed orange (which is only currently available as the whole fruit and not a sample).

I brewed this yesterday morning by stewing it in my work thermos, tossing in a big chunk of rock-hard lemon rind and what tea was stuck to it. It produced a dark and rich medicinal-citrus brew. Lots of sweet, dark raisiny, roasted honey flavor from the black tea mixed with the bright and tart taste of the lemon pulp that was processed with the black tea. The lemon rind looks like something you’d expect to find next to a mummy – this tea was meant to store for the long haul. The peel contributes an earthy, rich and brothy, fermented medicinal zesty overtone.

I think I’d actually like to add this to my collection. It may not get drank often but I really enjoyed it. If the black tea stuffed pomelo is as comforting and satisfying, I may sequester the collection of 3 fruits for the afterlife ;) I’d love to see Roswell Strange’s take on these!

Also, it’s good to see MST got their game together and now vacuum pack all their oolong, even the 10g samples. That should help keep the tea from going stale or turning rancid.

Flavors: Broth, Citrusy, Earth, Honey, Lemon, Lemon Zest, Medicinal, Molasses, Raisins, Roasted, Sweet, Tart

Martin Bednář

I need to try those fruit stuffed teas one day!