Canadian Breakfast

Malt, Maple
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 9 oz / 266 ml

From Murchie's Tea & Coffee

Murchie’s Canadian Breakfast Tea is a traditional breakfast tea, with a Canadian maple twist.

About Murchie's Tea & Coffee View company

I dislike that Murchie’s has upped their 25 gram minimum to 50, and gotten rid of their loose-leaf 25 gram boxes. One of the most solid things about them an some of the other chains (yes, DavidsTea) is that their minimum was way more friendly/made it much easier to sample many teas at once without getting stuck with a tea you didn’t like.

At any rate, they still have the boxes of ten teabags, which I opted for even though I tend to find there’s a difference in taste between their fanningteabags and looseleaf teas.

I associate Canadian breakfast with keemun for some reason, but this blend is strongly assam. Actually, I just checked and it SAYS it’s keemun and ceylon, but this is so overwhelmingly NOT keemun OR ceylon. Maybe an african-grown assam, but still definitely assam. Strong and malty, and almost that overly-tannic berry taste. It’s still got a bit of maple, but it’s definitely a very strong, astringent tea, which might just be due to the teabag although I don’t know how to explain the tea-blend discrepancy.

I love this tea. The teas Murchie’s uses for this breakfast blend work really well, and the addition of maple just makes it that much sweeter (literally). I added half-and-half and minimal sugar to this, and it surpassed expectations. Another plus: I’m reminded of my wonderful time in Vancouver whenever I take a sip :)

Flavors: Malt, Maple

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

It was the sweet scent of maple that drew me in – plus I love the idea of a ‘Canadian Breakfast’ to go with all the ‘English breakfasts’ and ‘Irish breakfasts’ out there. This brews up into a brisk cuppa with lots of body, making it a good first-thing-in-the-morning tea. The maple flavour is subtle but it’s definitely there and I’m not sure if it’s the flavour or the tea base itself that has a lightly malty quality which is strange as that’s an attribute I normally associate with Assam teas but I checked the ingredients and there’s no Assam in this blend – just Ceylon and Keemun.

A good, solid tea – I could see this becoming a staple in my cupboard.

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML