Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

• “The green teas leaves are quite small and fine-looking from what I can see and the smell is sort of a green, grassy scent - like you'd get after mowing the lawn and the clipping had been left in...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1607 tasting notes
  • “Many thanks to *Jillian* for sending me a bit of this tea to try. I'm always on the lookout for my perfect genmaicha, so I was excited to try this new-to-me brand. This tea is one of the better...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1015 tasting notes

From Murchie's Tea & Coffee

Different processing techniques provide a completely different flavour for Japanese green teas. Genmaicha is one of Japan’s favourite. Pan-fired and mixed with rice kernels to provide a sweet brew, Genmaicha produces a wonderful, distinct cup of tea.

About Murchie's Tea & Coffee View company

The green teas leaves are quite small and fine-looking from what I can see and the smell is sort of a green, grassy scent – like you’d get after mowing the lawn and the clipping had been left in the sun to dry a bit. The smell changed radically when I added water, turning into something that was a cross between puff-wheat cereal and burnt popcorn.

It tasted a bit like the smell – though not so much burnt popcorn, but it’s a savory sort of taste.

Many thanks to Jillian for sending me a bit of this tea to try. I’m always on the lookout for my perfect genmaicha, so I was excited to try this new-to-me brand. This tea is one of the better genmaichas I have had the pleasure of sipping. The sencha is extremely buttery with a hint of sweetness that balances nicely with the popcorn flavor from the toasted rice. I’m having a great time sipping this tea out of my new Thermos that I bought for work (nothing fancy, just a cheap thermos but it does have a glass liner so that the tea flavors won’t hang onto the inside).