Cherry Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Denise @ Nature's Tea Leaf

• “This was a surprise in the mail from the talented *GMathis*! First of all, it came in this amazing card! http://www.flickr.com/photos/24998856@N06/8342846753/ Second, I really do like puerh....” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1796 tasting notes
  • “Contentment. Warm, full, mildly sleepy, schlepping around in sweats in the early afternoon. This tea is as cozy as your favorite fleece blanket. The earthy pu-erh is a perfect base for the...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1688 tasting notes
  • “Spdown! Figured thiswould be a good one to have since I'm not well today...both the piers and the cherry being strong enough to it through any sick that might be messing with my taste buds. Haha I...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4669 tasting notes
  • “This is the final sample from the BBBB, sent by *Sil*. The Badaxx B*t@hs Black Box The Bodacious Babes Black Box Call it what you like, LOL Honestly, I took one look & said..."Cherry" :p yeah,...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2855 tasting notes

From Nature's Tea Leaf

Cherry Pu’erh is our own recipe of select Pu’erh leaves infused with natural organic cherry. This unique, dark tea is known for its weight loss properties and can be used in diet and weight management. When combined with delicious natural cherry the resulting tea is bold, with a light sweetness and aroma of delectable cherry.

About Nature's Tea Leaf View company

This was a surprise in the mail from the talented GMathis! First of all, it came in this amazing card!

Second, I really do like puerh. This is a funny thing because I dislike coffee, yet when I have a guest who says they really don’t like tea but love coffee, I serve them puerh and they love it! I was told puerh was an acquired taste, and while the smell of the first fishy Tuocha I bought scared me, I liked the taste from the get-go. Then when I found better quality puerh, I was eager to get to know more.
I like unflavored puerh just fine, but most of the flavored ones I have tried have been good.

This one is more exciting because I have loved everything I have tried from Nature’s Tea Leaf.

I steeped this in boiling water for about two minutes. I don’t mind my puerhs being inky black so that was a short steep for me! But the smell….ah, the smell. Even in the card, it smelled so good and juicy. Last night, I kept it beside me and sniffed and sniffed.

I am not a fan of weird cherry flavor. I don’t care for Cherry Coke. I don’t like rooibos because it tastes like cherry cough syrup to me. I love good cherry flavor and lay in a stash of cherry lollipops at Valentine’s.

This tastes like my Black Cherry Matcha! Well, the cherry part does anyway! And the puerh is a beautiful grounding for it and they have blended it just right. I could have sworn I even got a little natural chocolate-y flavor in the base. There is no fishiness at all – this is an nice earthy puerh. Good golly, this is tasty! I made 16 ounces and swilled it down in no time! This has great balance. If you are afraid of puerh, you should try this first!

This is great puerh and is the first real rival for position with Lupicia’s Chocolate Strawberry Puerh. I will be serving this tonight for Writers’s Group. (We really should name ourselves. Maybe it should have something to do with tea!)

I have been trying to whittle down my stash but every time I try a NTL tea I think, “Well, this has to go on the list for my first order.” Same for this one – it is definitely on the list and is probably also going to be the birthday gift for my puerh loving friend.

Oh no! Now I want this!

Hesper June

I literally squealed out loud when I saw the card!

The card is beautiful…

Bonnie

oh no a good flavored pu!

TeaBrat

Bonnie, I just ordered 4 from their website!

Nicole

That is a completely awesome card. You are such a lucky duck :)

Tina S.

Oh man, this sounds amazing. I’m desperately searching for some good flavoured pu’erh.

gmathis

The design isn’t quite fit for human consumption yet, but I made a couple that say “…and what would Lady Violet say?”

ashmanra

LOL! You will have to post that card when you have it ready, GMathis!

JacquelineM

LOVE the card!!! gmatis – I hope you post a pic of the Lady Violet one when you feel it’s ready. SUNDAY NIGHT = MORE DOWNTON in the USA! Yes!

gmathis

I am so photo un-proficient! Will see what I can do. So looking forward to season 3 and keeping fingers crossed that the weather’s clear. Yes, we live in Green Acres with no satellite or cable and when it’s extremely cloudy or windy, our PBS reception weirds out.

JacquelineM

We have to put this flimsy antenna on this special chair — only this one chair works, just so – to get PBS. I know just when you mean. We also can’t move, at all, for the entire show because we might lose the reception.

Shmiracles

i loved pu-erh immediately, but it MUST be mixed with a complementary flavor. this one sounds like a specially good one.

This tea is as cozy as your favorite fleece blanket. The earthy pu-erh is a perfect base for the cherry flavor. Gives it a wonderful black cherry personality. Not artificial tasting at all. Another Nature’s Tea Leaf winner!

ashmanra

Oh my goodness, I thought I knew which teas I wanted to try next, and then I see a review and just add to the list!

This sounds delightful!

Spdown! Figured thiswould be a good one to have since I’m not well today…both the piers and the cherry being strong enough to it through any sick that might be messing with my taste buds. Haha I was right. While this is a pretty good puerile blend from natures tea leaf, I’d prefer to see if they have a flavour other than cherry since this one is a little artificial tasting as you go through the package. I love that the puerh taste doesn’t get drowned out by the cherry flavour! Over all a really nice tea from natures tea leaf, just would rather a different flavour :)

Elonwy

It’s so hard to get good cherry! Hope you feel better soon. I have been sick topo :(

Booooo for sick!

OMGsrsly

Oh geez, autocorrect got you good..puerile blend? :D Hope you feel better soon.

This is the final sample from the BBBB, sent by Sil.
The Badaxx B*t@hs Black Box
The Bodacious Babes Black Box
Call it what you like, LOL
Honestly, I took one look & said…“Cherry” :p
yeah, I really did stick my tongue out.
But actually, it’s not bad! The cherry is fairly laid back, so it doesn’t go all medicinal on me. The Puerh is kind of a bland one, but oh well, after it’s not bitter! So I guess it wasn’t me! Or maybe I addressed my bitterness, & the super tasting went away?
Want to know what my bitterness was? My kitchen floor was a disgusting filthy mess. I’m not a great housekeeper, & with all the gardening & cooking & tea drinking that goes on in my awesome kitchen, the floor is rarely pretty. So I steeped this tea while I swept. The I let it cool to taste while I mopped (it only took 5 minutes? Why do I always think it’s going to take so long?) Then I drank my tea while the floor dried, which actually took longer than the mopping. Go figure.

Hahaha

My new tea arrived – hurrah!

Okay I was skeptical of this from the get-go, but I really wanted to try it. I opened up the bag to take a whiff… to me this really smells like cherry cough syrup.

I steeped it for around 2 minutes and after tasting it, I still got cough syrup flavor. I decided to steep it for around 1 minute more and then added a bit of turbinado sugar to it, which definitely helped the flavor somewhat. From what I can tell the pu-erh is good but the cherry flavor really overpowers it. I will be tempted to find some chocolate syrup to put in this.

It isn’t as good as I was hoping and seems a bit artificial to me but overall it’s fairly decent. If anyone else wants to try it I’d be happy to swap some of it.

JC

If we make another swap I’d want to try this one. I’m really, more a puerh purist but I really want to see how flavored (outside the traditional ones) Puerh does for me.

TeaBrat

That could be arranged. :)

I accidentally steeped this for a long time. Six minutes maybe? I’m not sure, it went way over my timer, as Mum had asked me to help her with something and it slipped my mind. Oops!
No matter, the tea was great. Really!!! I love cherry, and I love tart cherries even more! And boy was this tart. Not overwhelmingly so mind you, and I could definitely taste the puerh. Like one of those sour cherry candies. Mmmm. No sugar required.
Also, it’s a really nice change to have a flavour besides orange, chocolate, or toffee associated with puerh. Thanks TeaBrat for the sample!!

Stephanie

Shu puerh is awesome in that you can never oversteep it! :)

Ooh, interesting!

Angrboda

Wow, that sounds like a great combination! I had a strawberry flavoured one once which was just like drinking jam. Lovely.

gmathis

This is one of my favorites from Nature’s Tea Leaf. Much conversation has taken place about the “perfect” cherry tea…this one comes as close to authentic cherry fruit (not candy) flavor as anything I’ve tried.

Indigobloom

Stephanie, so true!! Unfortunately that meant my resteep turned out quite weak lol

Indigobloom

Amariel, it really was!! I will have to order from them one day

Indigobloom

Angrboda, yes stawberry!! I remember now as well, a strawberry puerh from The Spice and Tea Exchange. It was super tasty. I’m sad they discontinued it!

Indigobloom

Gmathis, I could not agree with you more. Seriously, I’m still thinking about this one days later :P

Amariel

I think it may be time for some more Berry Good from DAVIDs…

Indigobloom

Amariel, Ooh yes that was a good one too!

Amariel

I have not had it much this winter, but I did like it for spring and fall. And I admit I had it in the summer too.

Indigobloom

The hibiscus would make it taste great iced!

Amariel

Yes, though luckily the hibby is mild in that.

Indigobloom

True. I guess it depends on what you end up with in your spoon from the packet!