Tie Kuan Yin

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Denise @ Nature's Tea Leaf

From Nature's Tea Leaf

Tie Kuan Yin is the most famous of loose-leaf, oolong teas. The name Tie Kuan Yin means “Iron Goddess of Mercy” and the tea is as magnificent as its name implies. The tea leaves are withered under the strong sun, oxidized until jade green, and then wrap curled into small beads. Tie Kuan Yin Oolong tea has a roasted aroma and a smooth, refreshing flavor. It is a cool and refreshing tea drank hot or cooled.

About Nature's Tea Leaf View company

Ahhhhhh! This smells wonderful! ALIVE!

I’ll be sharing this with a few people, too!

This is screaming Multiple Infusions but I will save that test for another day!

This time around here are my findings:

Green, Leafy yet Slightly vegetal, Aromatic, Vibrant, a bit roasted yet very clean, sweet, slightly floral, a little buttery, and VERY tasty!

thank you again for the samples, Naturestealeaf.com! This is delicious! The leaves are a gorgeous green (my favorite color) wrapped into little buds.

First steep// 3 minutes// The steep color is a buttery lemon yellow. The taste is as buttery as the color, mellow yet vegetal and fresh. A bit spicy (but that may be from the chai that I had earlier in this infuser). The tea reminds me of a milk oolong I had… maybe because this type of tea would be the base for a milk oolong. This one is sweet and a bit creamy, anyway!

Second steep// 4 minutes// This steep is much less vegetal, much more floral and peachy. Love it!

Third steep// hotter & 4 minutes// This steep seemed to go back to the milk oolong flavor, but this time less vegetal. Still a bit floral, but not as peachy. I think this is my favorite steep. It’s very complex!

I could probably keep steeping! I would imagine there are MANY more steeps left in this. I’d really like to experiment with an oolong one day and just keep steeping the same leaves until there isn’t any flavor left. I think I’ll wait until I have a brew basket though. (I ordered from Tealux instead of Upton, so now I’ll probably have to wait longer to order from them. darn. I must have SOME limits.) I’ll just never stop being amazed at the differences in each steep of an oolong!