Annapurna Amber Oolong

Medium
Fair Trade
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

5 Images

• “I received this as a courtesy sample along with the free sample of Himalayan Chai. Thanks, Nepali Tea Traders! Brewed in an infuser mug. Followed the website’s direction. The...” Read full tasting note
    KiwiDelight 345 tasting notes
  • “Oolong isn’t my first choice, but I can appreciate why some enjoy it so much. After having an oolong from Verdant yesterday, I feel better able to give a note on this tea. Between the two,...” Read full tasting note
    spharo 616 tasting notes
  • “This tea smells a lot like Darjeeling in the package which is interesting. The taste is rather mild for what would be expected when you look at the liquor and smell the tea. This tea is great for...” Read full tasting note
    Proust614 972 tasting notes

From Nepali Tea Traders

Sweet, Earthy

A stunning Himalayan massif, Annapurna is Sanskrit for “Goddess of the Harvests.” One leaf and a bud, plus a mature leaf are plucked. The tea is oxidized slowly, in cold air, then double fired. An exceptional Darjeeling-sytle oolong, Annapurna Oolong is infused with apricot and muscat grape flavors. Its liquor is full bodied, revealing a beautiful red-amber hue distinctive to our teas. Subtle notes of malt and caramel linger in the finish.

STEEPING INSTRUCTIONS

One heaping teaspoon of tea per 8 ounce cup. Cool boiling water for 2 minutes, then steep tea 2 – 3 minutes. Additional Steeping: One steeping for 2 – 3 minutes.

About Nepali Tea Traders View company

Brewed in an infuser mug. Followed the website’s direction.

The dry leaf is pretty, up close. The leaves are short and curly, and are mostly very dark green, some red-tinted brown, and a few white with hairs. I also like the look of the wet leaf: uniformly chocolate-like, some broken, others whole. I never had a Nepalese tea in general, so I went in expecting nothing. This oolong resembles a first flush Darjeeling. The overall aroma smells of white grapes. The liquor, which becomes juicier as it cools, has a muscatel taste. Amber colored and smooth, light in body and in flavor intensity.

Enjoyable, but I’d waiver on a purchase. I like my fruity/muscatel teas to be punchier. I’d have to increase the leaf-water ratio. However, if offered a cup, I wouldn’t refuse.

Oolong isn’t my first choice, but I can appreciate why some enjoy it so much. After having an oolong from Verdant yesterday, I feel better able to give a note on this tea. Between the two, Verdant is the clear winner for me. In comparison, this oolong, while enjoyable, has something of a muted flavor. The roasted qualities are there, but they are off in the background. Perhaps this was the intention. It tastes fruity once it cools to room temperature so I think I would like this one better as a cold brew.

Flavors: Fruity, Roasted

This tea smells a lot like Darjeeling in the package which is interesting. The taste is rather mild for what would be expected when you look at the liquor and smell the tea. This tea is great for some calm sipping, but I would like something a bit stronger.

5 g 14 OZ / 414 ML