Earl Grey Jasmine Monkey King

Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by New Mexico Tea Company

2 Images

• “Tea of the afternoon..... (SRP #20) Yes, new tea samples from a new company for me. New Mexico Tea Company is currently having a free shipping offer until May 31, 2012. I decided to jump on that...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes
  • “After the success I had with Casablanca, I was excited to try this one. Jasmine, like mint, tends to be quite overpowering but the bergamot worked so so well in Casablanca, how could I not be...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “Not really sure what to think about this one. I asked for it as a free sample and holy cow, is the sample ever huge! I'm impressed. It seems at first taste like there is too much going on. But...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 520 tasting notes
  • “The tea blender for NM Tea Company must be a genius, every tea I've tried has been just right. Perfectly balanced bergamot and jasmine, a delicate green tea. The scent is almost as good as...” Read full tasting note
    Lazey 94 tasting notes

From New Mexico Tea Company

For bergamot lovers, jasmine lovers, and green tea lovers, this tea tops the list. An intriguing combination of flavors and aromas that can pull you right out of a boring afternoon while you read the exciting story of the Monkey King in the Chinese legend “Journey to the West” written in the Ming Dynasty by Wu Chen-En.
EXTRA INFO:

The Monkey King legend from 1500s China holds that Monkey was born of rock and was a mischievous fellow who demanded immortality from the gods. The story is a pseudo-historical account of a monk (Xuanzang) who went to India in the 7th century to seek Buddhist scriptures to bring back to China. The principle story consists of eighty-one calamities suffered by Monkey and his guardians Tripitaka and Sandy, who are monks, and Pigsy, a pig.
INGREDIENTS:

China green tea, jasmine flowers, and bergamot oil
ORIGIN:

China

About New Mexico Tea Company View company

Tea of the afternoon….. (SRP #20)

Yes, new tea samples from a new company for me. New Mexico Tea Company is currently having a free shipping offer until May 31, 2012. I decided to jump on that and try a few things, so I got this, Black Jasmine Cream, Rosie Earl Grey, and a free sample of Coconut Dream. Since I am on a jasmine and Earl Grey kick, these seemed fitting. They offer their teas in 1 oz amounts for sampling, plus 4 ,8, and 16 oz amounts, and they send a free sample that is probably a half ounce of your request. The service was prompt and shipping turnaround was very fast. The samples are packaged in a silver cello bag with a resealable zip closure. So far, I am impressed. I also ordered a round latch tin that will hold about 4 oz. of tea. I like the tin, too.

This tea is Springtime in a cup. There are jasmine notes intermingled with a light bergamot. It is definitely light and airy, floral and lightly citrusy. I definitely like it!

Brewed at about 160 for 2 minutes by the mug method.

Dinosara

Um, yum?!! That sounds awesome. Since I can’t buy any tea right now my thoughts immediately went to: blend of Empire Tea Services Earl Green, plus some jasmine green tea. Must try that soon!

TeaBrat

I’ll have to find this place the next time I go to New Mexico (one of my favorite vacation spots)!

After the success I had with Casablanca, I was excited to try this one. Jasmine, like mint, tends to be quite overpowering but the bergamot worked so so well in Casablanca, how could I not be excited!

This tea has a nice, fluffy base that smells strongly of both bergamot and jasmine. Well duh, of course it does! It smells like heaven while it’s brewing, I just want to stick my face in there. I wish there were tea perfumes! Well I mean, there are, but I’d like an endless variety of them.

I think 3 minutes is a little too long for this, since the jasmine is just a tad soapy. Not overwhelmingly so, and I think a 2 minute steep would fix that up nicely. The bergamot balances so nicely with it, both are quite strong but neither one is too strong. It’s exactly what you would expect—a light green earl grey with jasmine! I’m not going to rate it until I get the steep time right, but it’s pretty damn yummy.

Not really sure what to think about this one. I asked for it as a free sample and holy cow, is the sample ever huge! I’m impressed.

It seems at first taste like there is too much going on. But I also think I used water that was a bit too hot. So I’m going to go again before I really review it. So far I’ll say that it looks very neat and interesting after steeping. It smells a bit smoky but somehow everything has been smelling a little smoky to me so maybe I’m just going through a smoke-sensitive/imagining phase. :)

One thing for sure – I have plenty to try again!

The tea blender for NM Tea Company must be a genius, every tea I’ve tried has been just right. Perfectly balanced bergamot and jasmine, a delicate green tea.

The scent is almost as good as Casablanca.