Edit tea info Last updated by Alphakitty

From New Mexico Tea Company

An interesting twist on the traditional Earl Grey, this tea is made with Chinese Lapsang Souchong to add a savory smoothness to the citrus notes of Bergamot. Best in the afternoon, and suggested without milk.

Legend claims that the smoking process for lapsang souchong was discovered by accident. During the Qing dynasty, an army unit passing through Xingcun camped in a tea factory filled with fresh leaves awaiting processing. When the soldiers left and the workers could get back into the premises, they realized that to arrive at market in time, it was too late to dry the leaves in the usual way. So they lit open fires of pinewood to hasten the drying. Not only did the tea reach the market in time, but also the smoked pine flavor created a sensation!

About New Mexico Tea Company View company

Backlog:

A really nice twist on the classic Earl Grey. You know me, I love me some Earl Grey. I’m not always fond of smoky teas though, so this was a questionable tea for me to order, I guess I was feeling adventurous when I did order it.

I’m glad that the smokiness is not overwhelming. It IS smoky, but, the smoked notes do not interfere with the tangy citrus notes of bergamot. In fact, I really liked how these two flavors mingled together to create a very unique and lovely kind of flavor that was kind of new to my palate, but at the same time, familiar. I like!

A memorable tea.

I liked this tea but it wasn’t what I was expecting. All I could taste was the lapsang souchoung. I may have to try again with some cooler water.

Oh, I like this one very much! I could see it rotating with Upton Imports Baker Street Blend for my occasional afternoon “smoke break” tea. I love the way it smells. The tannins and astringency build by the end, but it’s hard for me to tell if that’s just because this is the third earl grey I’ve tested this afternoon. :b