Black Fruit Blend
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by New Mexico Tea Company

2 Images

• “I'm loving this tea. It tastes very coconut-y and it's authentic tasting. It doesn't taste artificial. The black tea is robust without being too aggressive, and the coconut flavor is smooth and...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4453 tasting notes
  • “After drinking this multiple times next to 52tea's Coconut Cream Pie I've decided this is the one I'm keeping in large quantities. While 52's offering is slightly more sugary and brisk than this...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 506 tasting notes
  • “Thank you for this one in that awesome package I'm gradually, slowly trying teas from, Dexter3657! I had actually always wanted to try some teas from New Mexico TC. Always willing to try more...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1453 tasting notes
  • “Moving back into my comfort zone, but continuing with *ifjuly's* wonderful swap package. I've bought tea from NMTC a few times now, and somehow always forget to include this with my order. I...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 734 tasting notes

From New Mexico Tea Company

Marco Polo first named the fruit “coconut” beacuse he thought that the 3 dark holes on their base made them look like a grinning face – in Portuguese “coco”. Despite their friendly apearance, falling coconuts kill an average of 150 people every year. Ironically, the coconut tree is considered by many people to be the tree of life. This is beacuse every part of a coconut and the tree itself can be used and plays an important role in tropical life.

About New Mexico Tea Company View company

I’m loving this tea. It tastes very coconut-y and it’s authentic tasting. It doesn’t taste artificial. The black tea is robust without being too aggressive, and the coconut flavor is smooth and creamy. I did not make this in to a latte, just enjoying it straight up and there’s lots of coconut flavor. I imagine that the milk would only enhance the creaminess of the coconut.

Really yummy.

Edited to change the rating … it deserves much higher than an 86. As this cools, it becomes so creamy and coconut-y delicious.

Nik

Sometimes, I feel like we’re all drinking the same/similar teas from our favourite tea sellers who are active in the Steepster community. It’s nice to read a tasting note on something completely different. =)

Ysaurella

I agree Nik, especially these 2 last weeks with an heavy presence of matchas.

Helena

I like drinking teas from companies/people who are active on steepster because I get to know them a little bit :D it is nice to try something different though :D

Ysaurella

I agree with you too Helena because they are often hand crafted companies and love their job with passion.
My only concern is with the over-exposition of some teas on Steepster on a short period and the links which redirect on the product page of the E-teamerchant.

gmathis

A work friend of mine had wonderful things to say about NM Tea Company, and one sample from Nicole was really nice…bears some further investigation, I think.

Nicole

NM Teas are very good. They along with 3-4 others are the only e-merchants on my “must keep in business” list :) Haven’t tried the coconut. On the shopping list it goes.

New Mexico Tea Company

Thanks for your review! I think coconut is a particularly hard flavor to get right because people have an association to sun tan lotion. (Jasmine can be like this too, as it can remind people of perfume or soap.) Im happy you liked it as much as I do.

LiberTEAS

The problem with Jasmine is that tea should not be “flavored” with jasmine oil or flavoring … the jasmine notes should come from the layering process. Otherwise, it does end up tasting like perfume or soap.

After drinking this multiple times next to 52tea’s Coconut Cream Pie I’ve decided this is the one I’m keeping in large quantities. While 52’s offering is slightly more sugary and brisk than this NMTC sample, Coconut Cream Pie is still delicious and tastes exactly like cream pie right at the lukewarm stage. I may keep a small amount of the Cream Pie around for summer. One can never have too many coconut teas.

A note from LiberTEAS pointed me in the direction of this tea and company, and I’m very grateful for it. The coconut flavour and the black base are both perfectly creamy and smooth. There’s no cloying sweetness, or a crazy amount of ingredients. It’s a simple coconut tea and it’s awesome.

Fjellrev

Nice, I need to make a note of that. I love CCP cold brewed, and coconut in general, so this is a must try for me. Onto my shopping list this goes, thanks!

CrowKettle

When it comes to a cold dessert brew I think I may still prefer CCP, but I like how simple and “natural” this one tastes when hot. I’ll probably keep both around. I was actually going to bring this along on the 23rd but ended up finishing it up this morning. Maybe I can bring some other NM Tea co. samples along, although I have a small and strange assortment of them. :)

Fjellrev

Haha oh no worries. I need to think about what I should bring on the 23rd too. My problem is I keep finishing stuff off too, and try to keep my stash at a reasonable level. Hope my stuff will be exciting enough.

Thank you for this one in that awesome package I’m gradually, slowly trying teas from, Dexter3657! I had actually always wanted to try some teas from New Mexico TC. Always willing to try more coconut teas as well! The dry blend just has a few strands of coconut in a teaspoon, so I’m not sure if there is added flavor to the leaves. But this is nice! The black base has a medium body with perfect astringency and a grassy/hay flavor. The coconut is subtle but definitely present and lingering. This is a tad less tasty than 52Teas Coconut Cream Pie though. It tasted especially nice with some pecan pie I made the other day. The second steep kind of lost anything coconut about it… it must have all went to the first cup.
One teaspoon, just boiled, 3-4 min.

Courtney

I have this one on my shopping list, but I’m not sure anything will be better than S&V’s Coconut Black. :)

Tea Sipper

I haven’t tried that one yet!

Courtney

So tasty! I can send some if you’d like – I have a bit of an abundance. :)

Tea Sipper

Oh, that isn’t necessary if it’s your favorite, but I really appreciate the offer! :D

Moving back into my comfort zone, but continuing with ifjuly’s wonderful swap package.
I’ve bought tea from NMTC a few times now, and somehow always forget to include this with my order. I really like NMTC, I really like good coconut tea. I should love this – everyone else does.
I think my taster is broken tonight… I’m just getting weirdness from everything I’m drinking – I think this is thin and acidic – which makes no sense at all. I’m just giving up for the night – will edit this with something more appropriate another night.
Ugggg what is wrong with me tonight?

ifjuly

Just a heads up, it may well be this isn’t very good bc it’s on the old side—it’s definitely the oldest of the teas I sent your way (over 6 months old), and I never tinned it either. Sorry about that!

Dexter

No I don’t think it’s the tea…. I think it’s me. I’m just having one of those nights.

Second tea of the morning….. (SRP #22)

This is pretty good. I love coconut teas. I can tell this has a different tea base to the Black Jasmine Cream. This tea base complements the flavor rather than competing with it. I will definitely enjoy what I have in this sample. Sweet and slightly nutty.

Usual mug method.

Yogini Undefined

Ooh sounds yummy!

I admit, first couple sips I didn’t really like this tea. A ho hum black coconut. However, this tea quickly grows on you, especially if you let it cool some vs drinking ripping hot. I seem to have the ability to drink violently hot tea.

Really nice black tea base – as stated on the package, organic Korakundah estate black, which I don’t think I’ve had before. The base has lots of flavor, smooth, rich, complimenting the coconut finish. There is a slight nutty dryness end of sip, tasting like I nibbed on a bit of coconut skin! Yum! With sweetener, Coconut Dream tastes full on coconut tropical adventure.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/coconut-dream-new-mexico-tea-company-oolong-owl-tea-review/
T=

Thanks for the samples, jubjubs, they smell heavenly. Unfortunately I was dumb and I oversteeped it/added too many leaves and it got bitter. When I poured in boiling water, it got really dark immediately. I’ll try it again soon.

Like everything I’ve had from NMTC, I’m impressed with the quality of the ingredients here—I find it’s hard to do coconut in any form without it being really heavy and artificial seeming, overly sweet, or kind of oily. The coconut presence is absolutely there but it’s not fake seeming in the slightest, and even though it’s quite strong and sweet in a genuine way somehow it never feels overpowering (I can still appreciate the taste of the black tea, and by the way it seems rather good for a flavored blend). I dig how it seems to get creamier and richer the more you sip. Bet this would do well with the latte treatment. Have yet to be disappointed with anything from them.

This is absolutely delicious brewed for 5 min and then drunk cold with vanilla soy milk. It’s also very good hot and drunk without milk.

Flavors: Coconut

I’m not a big drinker of black teas, but this one is absolutely wonderful. It’s smooth and has just the slightest hint of coconut. Dry, the smell will fool you into thinking you’re about to eat coconut flakes, but after the brewing – it’s heavenly. If you look at the surface of the tea, you will see little dots of coconut oil – almost like a starry evening right in your cup. It’s a very nice tea.