Nina's Japon

Caramel, Cream, Vanilla
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Nina's Tea USA

• “I have so many swaps and a bunch of samples that I really should be drinking instead but I could not resist this tasty little tea. Especially not after freaking out about it with *Courtney* for the...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1338 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! So i have to say, I tried this a while back and liked it a lot but then forgot about it because it's a green tea and i don't drink those often. *VariaTEA* sent a sample to me, which i...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “Scary close to a sipdown on this one. There's enough left for one cup - so I'm really going to have to postpone/draw that out, despite the easy sipdown being tempting. It was about 2 AM when I...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1172 tasting notes
  • “Okay! Here's the moment *VariaTEA* has been waiting for!!! (maybe not *THE* moment, but *A* moment at least) This tea tastes mostly bright and green, with caramel notes lingering long after...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1392 tasting notes

From Nina's Paris

Black tea, sencha, genmaicha, caramel, vanilla
A marvelous blend of black tea and roasted green tea from Japan. An irresistible dreamy concoction made with crispy rice, vanilla and caramel.

About Nina's Paris View company

I am really surprised at myself. I have avoided genmaicha thinking I would not like it very much. I had Chocolate Delight by the Teaguys, and it has toasted rice in it I am fairly sure, but there are so many other ingredients in that blend that I wasn’t sure what made it tasty! Then I tried a bagged genmaicha and must have made it badly because it was TERRIBLE! But I think I just didn’t know how to handle it.

This one is easy, forgiving, and really tasty. My tea party guest did a double take today, almost setting her cup down after her first sip but taking it right back under her nose to sniff. “This is good!”

Indeed it is, and I recognize some of the flavor from Chocolate Delight, so I must have tasted the toasted rice after all. The caramel lends a really smooth, warm taste. The base comes off more as black tea than green to me.

This is one of my favorites from my birthday box! Thank you, SuperAnna for the tea, and Laurent for choosing!

My second last sample from Laurent and Sophie, Merci!

Le Sigh.

Seriously you guys. Banging my head on the counter. I drank this at work today, I was really looking forward to it, I knew it was going to be a crappy busy week and so I thought a nice way to start Monday would include this tea. That sentence was poorly formed but I don’t even care.

It was good, real good, for two steeps. I can’t comment on brewing method because I probably used too hot water, because for some reason i thought it was black tea, but it was still good.

Thing is, I was all proud of myself because I was drinking it and marveling at the really nice, subtle, not-too-sweet chocolate taste, in both steeps. I was all like “look at you, noticing flavor notes!” (of a flavoured tea, mind you)…. I didn’t have time to write this at work, so imagine my surprise (and head+counter reaction) when I read the description….which includes…. NO chocolate.

Ughhhhh back to the drawing board.

I’m not joking, I was tasting an unsweetened version of Cocoa Rice Krispies. What is wrong with my taste buds!? Vanilla? Caramel? Seriously?

It was good though. I’m hoping when their online shop opens up I will be able to afford the shipping fees :)

Chizakura

Just because you taste something different, doesn’t mean you’re wrong. Besides, maybe the chocolateness of it all is coming from the base! It’s not terribly specific on what the base black tea is, so it could easily have been coming through that.

Plus with the addition of things like genmaicha I could see that combo of flavors almost coming out chocolately.

Chizakura

Glancing at others’ notes on this tea, a couple others said they tasted chocolate too.

Terri HarpLady

I really enjoyed this one!

whatshesaid

Woohoo, chocolate! :)

Fuzzy_Peachkin

Trust your taste buds more! :-)

Froogle_jimmy

Loved this sample from Laurent!!! Sweet rice krispies is a good call though.

I must be on a green tea kick today. I love how this one smells. It reminds me of a marshmallow. I used less leaf on this one today and if I re-steep it tonight then I’ll toss the rest of the leaf I have in with it. I have to remember that I tend to like a little more leaf and a little less time.

I might have to put this one on my teas I need to get list for later. I do really like it. Nice and toasty and green.

ashmanra

I never expect to love this as much as I do. The aroma is magnificent.

MegWesley

We really need a “like” button on the comments, because I totally agree with you! I love the way it smells. It just makes me happy.

Caramel, oh yes there is caramel! and vanilla. Followed by rice.
Hot, I wasn’t really feeling it at all. The rice aspect was overpowering in an odd uncooked way. Now that it’s cooled a bit, the flavours mesh together much better. What I don’t like now though, is the astringency! Hmph. On the other hand, its very smooth, and creamy. Will see what infusion #2 brings.

Edit: 2nd steep reminds me of marshmallow genmaicha from 52teas. If this was the first steep, I’d have given it a much higher rating!! I don’t know if I’d want to buy some for myself… mostly because I’d prefer the Frank version any day :)

Full review at 5 central on http://sororiteasisters.com/ but here are snippets:

When I opened by sample bag of Nina’s Japon from Nina’s Paris the first aroma that struck me was the genmaicha. That fresh popcorn smell was captivating as it always is for me when I smell Genmaicha. This was different though. A sweet caramel aroma wafted up into my nasal cavities seducing me! I could only hope the flavor was as wonderful as the scent!

It was!

The after taste is that of caramel popcorn and really so very good. I can’t believe I have taken so long to review this tea. I have had it waiting on me to try for over a month or two. This is a definite reorder once I let myself off tea buying hiatus.

Now I admit, I failed to look up brewing instructions before making this tea. I steeped it in 195 degree water for 3 minutes. I did not realize before steeping that it had green teas in the blend. Yet, not one bit of bitterness, nor astringency in this cup. Amazing, it is idiot proof!

I am really very impressed here! A big thanks to Nina’s for this sample. Request your samples too! Nina’s Paris has been more than accommodating to new customers who would like to sample their teas. You can request three samples at a time and trust me, you will want to order once you try them!

ashmanra

This is one of my Nina’s favorites, and I didn’t even know I liked genmaicha! It is really good.

Azzrian

Ha isn’t it fun to find something surprising! :)

I had a dream last night of a kettle corn vending machine that would make fresh popcorn and add toppings to it like chocolate or caramel and then a bucket of kettle corn would fall out the bottom however you ordered it. I was reminded of this dream when I realized I wanted this tea this morning. It seems like it would be the tea most like kettle corn! (Though I realize that this is popped rice in genmaicha and not popped corn — still tastes like kettle corn, anyway!)

I REALLY wanted to try this one when I saw someone’s tasting note for it, and then I noticed that Nina’s was sending out samples. I love the elements here: black tea, genmaicha, vanilla, caramel. I don’t think the black tea will really show through if you have to steep it like a genmaicha, since genmaicha can be bitter if steeped for too hot or too long. So I waited for the water to cool a while and then steeped for two minutes. It’s scrumptious and I love it! It’s a toasty genmaicha with added sweetness. Just what I was hoping for. There isn’t a ton of flavor, but what is there is great. I don’t really see much black tea flavor, since you’d have to burn the green to find it, so the black tea seems obsolete, but that’s okay! I really don’t see many genmaichas mixed with other ingredients, maybe because they are so good on their own. I’d order this one if my tea stash wasn’t ridiculous right now.

Oh boy. This is so much better at 204 F than boiling. I’m not sure how long I steeped – I think it was somewhere between 2 and 3 minutes.

The caramel notes are really prominent and work quite nicely with the savory aspects of the genmaicha. The vanilla only comes out in the aftertaste, but it’s beautiful. Just a natural, lingering, smooth vanilla.

Thanks to Laurent at Nina’s Paris for the sample, and I get to call this a sipdown!

Tasty and caramely and toasted-ricey. All together it tastes like caramel popcorn. All good good things. :) This is a very balanced tea with a slightly decadent and very comforting profile. I could certainly use more teas like this!

After having this tea in my cupboard for a while, the smell still doesn’t fail to impress me! I open the bag and can smell rich caramel and chocolate that tempts me to brew a cup. I’m trying this cup unsweetened. Usually I add a bit of sugar which makes the flavors quite rich and delicious. Without sugar I don’t get much flavor on the sip, but the aftertaste is a delicious mixture that reminds me of tiramisu. I’m getting this chocolatey roasted coffee taste that is quite enjoyable without the lingering bitterness that comes with coffee. For those who love dessert teas, this is a very delightful and decadent choice!

Stephanie

I enjoyed this one, too :)

Wow I didn’t taste caramel at all in here, just vanilla. Weird. To me it was very much like genmaicha ice cream in tea form! Actually I know this company here has made genmaicha ice cream in the past…must inquire when they will do so again.

So I’m not sure what purpose the black tea in here serves, I decided to steep it like a green and sencha was definitely the predominant flavor despite how the dry leaf looked. This tea was both sweet and savory at the same time, but it’s not quite my favorite combination for that. I feel like I missed out on something by not tasting any caramel at all.