Grand Amour

Caramel, Ceylon Black Tea, Raspberry, Red Currant, Vanilla
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Nina's Tea USA

• “First let me say that the little sample of this that I got awhile back was amazing, which lead me to today, where I was supposed to receive my "giant" order (100g tin) of it, but I am tea-less!...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 440 tasting notes
  • “Oh joy! Joy! Holy cow! This is not at all what I expected. Instead it is 18273658382 times better. (Tip of hat to JacquelineM there.) Thank you, *Nina's Tea*, for these lovely samples! It...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1770 tasting notes
  • “i was curious, so i looked up the history: nina's paris, (named after the founder's wife mme nina diaz) was founded in 1672 as the furbishers of fragrance to versailles. it shows. this tea is...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 346 tasting notes
  • “ Well I definitely have an obsession. Last night, I dreamed that I drank this tea and didn't like it, and I was so disappointed for not liking it because I'd wanted to like it so badly. Then I woke...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 420 tasting notes

From Nina's Paris

Raspberry, red currant, vanilla, caramel
True love between raspberry and red currant: an irresistibly fruity attraction. Love at first sight, guaranteed!

About Nina's Paris View company

Thanks to Nina’s Tea for a sample of this tea!

Brewed up, this smells insanely fruity. It’s like…. sour wildberry gummy candies? Like, the little 5 cent berries you can buy at convenience stores. The flavour is equally fruity; the predominant flavour I’m tasting is probably raspberry. There is supposed to be cream in here; I suppose it’s contributing to the smoothness of the tea, but it’s not really obvious otherwise.

For some strange reason, I’m typically not fond of wildberry-flavoured things (I’m really not sure why), so this tea isn’t my favourite, but for anyone looking for a very, VERY fruity, tasty flavoured black, I’d definitely point you towards this one! Keeping my prejudice out of the way, it’s a really fantastic tea!

Sipdown!! (210)

The only other currant tea I have had was DAVIDs Currant Affair and that did not go well for me. I found it overly medicinal and so I sent it away. However, this one smelled amazing so I could not pass up a sample.

Tastewise, I am picking up some of the medicinal flavor of the red currant. It is nowhere near as unpleasant as Currant Affair though. That is probably due to the other flavors which are hiding within the cup. Caramel can be found among the mix as well as raspberry but at the end of the day the dominant flavor is the currant and that is just not for me. With that said, I do recommend this for anyone who likes currant as the flavor is spot on and complimented nicely by the other ingredients in the cup.

Also, I have found that I prefer these teas brewed slightly below boiling for two minutes. I was recommended to brew them for three but after two the teas have been flavorful and free of any bitterness and astringency.

Thank you Sophie and Laurent at Nina’s Paris for this sample. I am glad I got to give it a try.

Roswell Strange

Remind me during one of out frequent swaps to send you some Champagne cassis; it’s a really sweet currant flavoured white tea. I too found Currant Affair to taste just awful, but this one is much better.

My Nina’s order arrived today!

This tea is really well done. In teas with vanilla and other flavours, I feel the vanilla mostly comes through in the softening of the other flavours. This tea is no exception. The raspberry and red currant work well with the base tea, but there’s no mistaking them. I’m not so sure I’m getting caramel, but there is a sweetness in the sip that could be it.

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 0 OZ / 0 ML

Thank you to Nina’s Paris USA via Kittenna for this free sample.

When I was growing up, we had red currants growing in our yard. My dad used to make wine from them. I can remember going out and picking the currants off of the bush when they were ripe.

The dry and brewed tea smell like red currant. There is also a hint of raspberry. The brewed tea has a smell of strong caramel.

The tea tastes like red currants and caramel. It is not sweet but also not bitter or tart. I like it this way.

J’adore Grand Amour!

Tealizzy

I really like this tea, but haven’t found another one yet that I like as much, and shipping is pretty expensive.

Lala

I made an order through Laurent, and shipping was not too horrible (compared to some tea companies), but I had to order a lot to make it worth while. I hope that once the company gets started that shipping will be better.

Nina's Tea USA

Hi Lala,do you receved your order?

I have this one on deck to try

Thank you Lala for this sample in our swap!
I thoroughly enjoyed this tea! I didn’t get any caramel, but I got a hint of vanilla and raspberry. What really stole the show though was the red currant, it really shines when cold.
I prefer this cold I think.

Received this as a sample from Sophie and Laurent, merci!

Decided to try this one first.
It’s VERY fruity! I think it may be a bit too fruity for me, though it is tasty for sure, I find the fruitiness is so extreme it borders slightly on cough syrup territory. I am enjoying it though, I might like it a bit more if there was more caramel/vanilla taste in it to balance off the extreme fruitiness.

Not sure what red currants taste like but I am noticing the raspberry for sure!
Overall a pleasant tea, my own tastes just stop me from loving it.

So glad to have tried this, and I am looking forward to digging into my other samples from Nina’s Tea!

(3 min @ boiling)

ETA

I was going to resteep the remnants of this and then I went upstairs and got distracted on Facebook (Weird, right? That never happens!) and forgot it was steeping. Came down like half an hour later and I took a sip anyway, because I figured it would be a bit weaker and maybe more forgiving since it was the second steep. Silly me, it was disgusting! Everything I didn’t like about the first steep was highlighted and multiplied by 1 million. Straight up cough syrup. First tea I’ve actually spit out! As soon as it touched my tongue. I mean obviously no sane person would ever drink tea steeped for 30 min but I thought it was worth noting. The extreme cough syrupiness, that is. Blech. I want to lower the rating because this legitimately left a bad taste in my mouth, but I know that wouldn’t be fair. So I won’t.

Tea smelled good dry and made. The tea was quite bitter though. And it was only brewed 3 minutes. Not a fan of my first Nina’s and was glad it came as a sample.

Tealizzy

Wow, that’s odd. I steeped that one for 5 minutes, and it was super smooth! I also added milk and sugar though. Maybe that was the difference?

This is the perfect balance of flavor. I can taste it all! Sometimes with a flavored tea there’s so much going on that one flavor over shadows the other, not with this tea! I used just a little sugar and this taste like raspberry pie ala-mode from the amish country. They put a layer of caramel on the bottom of the crust then the berry filling and whipped cream on top. Yes! Raspberry pie with a cup of black tea is exactly how this taste. Yummy!!

Fruity, incredibly fruity. Maybe too fruity if that is possible. Since I opened the sample all I can smell or taste is raspberry and red currant. I am starting to panic for fear I will never taste anything else ever again.

I let the tea cool to room temperature while I ran some errands. The fruityness is not so overwhelming now. I think this might make a good iced tea. I do not taste any caramel or vanilla though.

ashmanra

I kept the steep short like you, but I did use just under boiling water. Do you think that made yours significantly stronger? Also, have you tried a second steep? Mine was much lighter yet still really smooth and yummy.

Lazey

I haven’t had a chance to do a second steeping, I think the second steeping might be better than the first.

1.25 tbsp for 375 ml

Black tea base is smooth with a delightful straw-like note. Fruity notes are more present in the aroma than the flavour. There is a bit of a sweetness.

Thanks to Nina’s Paris for the sample!