Etoile du Nord

Chinese Keemun Black Tea, Cornflower Petals, Natural Flavours, Rhubarb
Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 3 g 9 oz / 266 ml

• “Thank you Nina's for the samples! This one sounded very intriguing - rhubarb and violet with a keemun base. For some reason this sample was an individually wrapped pyramid tea bag. Nina's...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1412 tasting notes
  • “I received three samples from the friendly folks at Nina's Paris, and Etoile du Nord was the one which was beckoning me most. Violets and rhubarb? How exotic! Plus the base tea is Keemun rather...” Read full tasting note
    Shera Pop 1098 tasting notes
  • “I'm so glad my tea samples arrived today! I thought they had been eaten by the post. The bag this came in did not have a suggested temp. on it, so I just went with boiling water. Dry, this smells...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 538 tasting notes

From Nina's Paris

Rhubarb and sweet violet

A tea subtly scented with rhubarb. A naturally sweet and gentle flavour for the tender-hearted.

About Nina's Paris View company

Thank you Nina’s for the samples! This one sounded very intriguing – rhubarb and violet with a keemun base. For some reason this sample was an individually wrapped pyramid tea bag. Nina’s suggests 1-2 minutes for this one, so I went with about 70 seconds. I probably should have steeped for two minutes, as the base wasn’t tough enough for me. The flavor is good but I wouldn’t say it was rhubarb. The something extra reminds me more of lychee. There is something sweet and floral to it as well, but I’m not sure what violet tastes like! I’ve tried the keemun base on its own and it’s a standard delicious keemun but I could swear this is the other base that they have. This doesn’t taste like the keemun to me. I would have liked the rhubarb to be more rhubarb-like but this is an interesting and unique idea for a blend. The same keemun that I tried before would have made this blend better though.
Steep #1 // 7 min after boiling // 70 second steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min

I received three samples from the friendly folks at Nina’s Paris, and Etoile du Nord was the one which was beckoning me most. Violets and rhubarb? How exotic! Plus the base tea is Keemun rather than the usual middling Congou suspect.

The sachet was generously stoked, and the leaves were large with beautiful cornflowers interspersed (I presume for appearance—not sure that they add any flavor). The liquor was amber and tasted good enough to drink au naturel. I could really tell the difference in quality of the base tea. My impression is that many scented black teas are heavily scented precisely in order to cover the mediocrity of the tea. In this case, both the flavors and the tea tasted good, so I drank Etoile du Nord without cream.

I cannot say that I would ever have guessed the identity of the rhubarb in this pleasantly fruity blend, but I would definitely consider buying a full tin in the future.

(Blazing New Review #20)

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
Tamarindel

I requested this sample too! Now I can’t wait to try it :)

sherapop

I’ll look forward to your review, Tamarindel!

I’m so glad my tea samples arrived today! I thought they had been eaten by the post.
Dry, this smells very nice! I can smell the violet, which is the biggest reason I chose this one. Once brewed the base is very tasty, it reminds me of another gift tea which I have logged on here somewhere. The violet is very upfront. There are other flavors too that I cannot put my finger on, probably the rhubarb (I’ve never had it!). This is a really great dessert tea and I can’t wait to brew this again.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML