Zimbabwe White Tea (high polyphenol)

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by KittyLovesTea

• “From KittyLovesTea´s european travelling box, and this is a really intriguing tea. Whole, but small, copper leaves, full of unfurled tiny leaves. (you bet it will be high on polyphenol and a bunch...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 325 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Kittylovestea for this sample. 8g / 400ml glaspot 3m @ 80C This tea does not look like a white. the tealeaves are dark. Almost like they dried in the sun for to long. The tea...” Read full tasting note
    Dagwed 216 tasting notes
  • “I had no idea how to brew this, so I checked the other (two) reviews for pointersand went with 3 minutes at 80C. I barely ever read individual tasting notes right before trying a new tea, though,...” Read full tasting note
    clareborn 258 tasting notes

From Nothing But Tea

A rather special hand-made Pai Mu Tan style white tea made this year at the Tanganda Tea Company by our roving teaman

An African clone normally destined for common black tea was fine plucked then given a 60 hour shade wither with final drying under tropical sun

The cultivar used has been analysed and found to be naturally very high in AOX catechins – up to three times as high as some Chinese white teas

Despite being made from a cultivar normally destined for common black tea the aroma and taste of this Zimbabwe white tea is unquestionably superb

Tanganda Tea Company is diversifying away from commodity teas into speciality teas to remain competitive – if this tea is typical they will do well.

About Nothing But Tea View company

From KittyLovesTea´s european travelling box, and this is a really intriguing tea. Whole, but small, copper leaves, full of unfurled tiny leaves. (you bet it will be high on polyphenol and a bunch of other goodies).

I did not make it too strong, made it european style and I am glad I didso, this was just right for my taste – I have no idea how many grams I used because the leaves are whole and large and difficult to estimate and my scales just are not precise enough for this).

It is quite a strange tea to describe, though undoubtedly a lovely one. It is quite astringent (am glad I did not make it any stronger though will resteep a few times more). It has natural fruity notes, like raisins and, like another reviewer mentioned, ripe peaches. The wet leaves smell like berries with peaches. A really interesting tea.

PS – just to add, going by my reaction to it, I think it packs quite a caffeine punch.

TastyBrew

What is European style?

cteresa

By european style, I mean not traditional asian ways, not gongfu or anything of the sort, just the old european standard of adding a tea spoon of tea leaf for a cup of water.

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Makes sense! If you’re in the western area and you brew non asian, you say western style, it wouldn’t make sense to say western style if you’re European, we’re so used to it, reading european brew seems like a novelty, I understand why you asked TastyBrew :-)

TastyBrew

Ha ha. Totally.

Thank you Kittylovestea for this sample.

8g / 400ml glaspot
3m @ 80C

The tea itself is powerfully fruity. I think ripe peaches? Kind of pleasant, i think it would be good as an iced tea.

Interesting to try something as odd as this :)

I had no idea how to brew this, so I checked the other (two) reviews for pointersand went with 3 minutes at 80C. I barely ever read individual tasting notes right before trying a new tea, though, and I have Dag Wedin’s ‘powerfully fruity’ comment with me as I sip this. Heh. Let me just say it’s pretty obvious which one of us drinks flavoured Japanese fruit teas on a regular basis.

In the bag, this smells so sweet; there’s a special sweetness to it – a new, hay-like sweetness I haven’t encountered before. I don’t know if it’s even possible to get this to come through in the steeped tea, but I did not succeed. As has already been pointed out, this doesn’t look like the average white tea, and, in my opinion, nor does it taste like it. It’s light, but it has a bit more depth than I’ve come to expect from whites. Flavoured or unflavoured, they often come off very light and fluffy to me – much like drinking a cloud.

The contents of my cup went down smoothly, but there is not enough personality or character for me to be intrigued or excited. I won’t remember this tea. My rating reflects this, rather than the quality of the tea – I’m sure this leaf would be very pleasing to someone who enjoys a clean, fresh, uncomplicated white.

[Sample from the second round of the EU Travelling Box, spring 2014.]