Jasmine Pearls (Gold Medal Winner)

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by laurenpressley

From Numi Organic Tea

The most tender green tea leaves are hand rolled into small pearls and scented with fresh jasmine blossoms. The fragrant flowers are mated five times with the tea according to traditional tea scenting techniques that date back over nine centuries. This high quality jasmine tea from Fujian Province has a sweet aromatic flavor with bright floral notes.

About Numi Organic Tea View company

In the mood for sweet, light teas tonight, so this was perfect! This tea (and the other Numi flowering teas I have) is from a boxed set of 9 samples given to me a few years ago, so I was a bit wary about how things may have held up. It appears my worries were unfounded though, at least with this tea!

I had previously (shortly before joining Steepster, I think) used up half of the packet of these cute little Jasmine Pearls for a cup of tea, so used the other half today. Although I assumed that I was supposed to use the entire packet in one go, I definitely don’t think the flavour is lacking, so it’s nice that I was able to spread them out over two cups!

The flavour of the tea pretty much smells like jasmine, and gives me serious cravings for my favourite chinese restaurant back home, and their hot and sour soup, chicken chow mein, mixed veggies…. drool Taste-wise, that’s exactly what it is. A nice, light jasmine. No fooling around, nothing funny going on here, it’s simply a jasmine tea. There’s something to be said for simplicity, when one’s tastebuds are tired of trying to tease flavours out from other teas!

I don’t have a ton of experience with jasmines (aside from in the aforementioned chinese restaurant), so I have no idea how this compares to any others, but I would certainly pick it up again if I wanted a dependable jasmine green tea. Of course, I’m likely to try others first, but this one is pretty good.

(Side note: the instructions that came with the box of Numi teas indicate that all the teas included (greens, blacks, and whites) should be steeped with boiling water. I disagreed, so steeped this one somewhere below boiling, although I didn’t record the temperature. I’m perfectly happy with it, and suspect I might have ruined it using boiling water.)

ETA: Second steep, ~4-5 min, is good but weak.

Kashyap

yeah…I generally recommend ignoring most ‘brewing directions’ that most ‘store’ bought teas or tea companies come with…they appeal to a general public that isn’t familiar with the range of brewing parameters and they also have to keep themselves distinct and so the simplifying process leaves nuance out. I always play with my instincts with a new tea or default to a tea industry standard cupping of 3g in 6oz water and vary temp with type of tea….I find that with pearls they work really well with about 190 degree on the first steep and cooler-longer steeps to follow. I would also bear in mind jasmine flavor is strong and is volatile and will weaken over time and green tea has a shelf life of ideally 6 months…it was probably weak due to age.

Such a lovely experience to steep this tea in the little glass Numi teapot…the jasmine pearls are divine after first steep.

Method: Gongfucha with 4 grams of tea to 100 ml of water with a quick rinse.

Looking into the bag, you seed countless little grey-green pearls with streaks of white. The dry leaves smell of Jasmine, but it’s a bit strong.

First Steep (10 seconds): The Color is a golden shade of yellow. The liquor Smells like I’m inhaling Jasmine flowers whole. The Taste is more gentle the the scent, the light taste of a green tea with a light layer of Jasmine on top. There isn’t much of an Aftertaste, which is a bit disappointing.

Second Steep (15 seconds): The Color has changed into a sort of burnt-yellow. The Smell hasn’t changed much, still smells like I’m being suffocated by a Jasmine plant. The Taste also hasn’t changed too much, maybe a little more Jasmine, but I’m not really sure. The Aftertaste has shown itself, kind of a weakly lingering Jasmine.

Third Steep (20 seconds): The Color still has that burnt-yellow shade, and magically, the Scent has gotten more overpowering. I don’t know if this is how all Jasmine teas are like, or if I just don’t like Jasmine. The Taste has remained virtually unchanged, but the Aftertaste has picked up a strong Jasmine presence in the back of my mouth.

Fourth Steep (25 seconds): Color’s the same, Scent on the liquor is letting up a bit, but I’m getting a headache from smelling this tea. The Tastehas turned a bit bitter(?) with a sickly Jasmine overtone. I don’t even know how to describe the gross aftertaste.

I’m not even steeping this a Fifth time. It’s just nasty.

Summary: The leaves themselves are of relatively fair quality (Better than how most Numi teas look after being steeped). It is, however, a horriblyt insipid concoction. I can’t imagine myself ever enjoying this tea at any time.

180 °F / 82 °C

second steep was still very good!