Golden Chai - Spiced Assam

Black Chai Blend
Assam Black Tea, Organic Anise Seeds, Organic Cardamon Seeds, Organic Cinnamon, Organic Ginger
Tea Bag
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “oh this chai isn't mega chai! as far as straight chai's go, it's probably the most drinkable chai i've ever had. granted i did steep it on the light side, but still. also after half a cup i added...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 744 tasting notes
  • “I was out n about yesterday with no access to hot water, so ended up grabbing a cuppa this. Who knew the International Centre would sell non Higgins n Burke tea! Not bad overall, but very strong....” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1329 tasting notes
  • “Tried this again: two tea bags in one mug, and upped the sweetener (stevia), and I am liking this tea more. The flavors are more pronounced (duh, Serenity, you are using twice as much tea). I will...” Read full tasting note
    Serenity1 47 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! I actually kinda like this one. Definitely a good option on campus, as there's one place with Numi teas and one place with H&S. :) Just having it with honey today, although I do really...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1572 tasting notes

From Numi Organic Tea

Assam Black Tea, Cinnamon, Chinese Ginger, Green Cardamom, Turkish Anise

About Numi Organic Tea View company

Im not a big fan of tea bags but this tasted good!! It was strong enough and it wasn’t too spicy.. with a dash of milk and it was lovely.. NO SUGAR..

I grabbed lunch at a cafe before rushing to work and decided I needed tea. I tried this, since I like the rooibos chai. Won’t be ordering it again. It was pretty bland except at the end of the cup for some reason, and the anise totally put me off. Disclaimer: I hate anise in the best of cases.

I rarely purchase grocery store teas, but I was craving chai, had heard Numi was a good brand, and the box does say “full leaf tea”. After getting it home I just cut open a bag and put it in the teapot. That’s when I discovered that it doesn’t look like full leaf at all; it appears to be ground and twiggy. Well, I decided to try it anyway, just in case it was better than it looks. Cinnamon overwhelmed all the other spices and the tea was just weak. Not much more to say; I just really didn’t like it and was upset over what I feel was the false claim that it’s a loose leaf tea.

Nicely balanced blend of masala. Robust anise/cinnamon aroma with a nice cardamon taste. Hue was an orange red.
A little aside:
I decided to drink this for lunch, not having eaten anything since 6 a.m., after the second sip I got the jitters.

Another dip into the sample box, and we have a winner! I am a Chai nut, especially when the spices walk up to you and kick you square in the face! Very cinnamonny (if that’s even a word). I gave it my standard Chai preparation (milk and sweetener), and found it to be in very close competition with with my favorite Ultimate Spice Chai from Twinings.

Side note: I love reading the directions on the sac these Numi tea bags are wrapped in. This one said “While you dance with a loved one, steep this tea for 3-5 minutes.” Also, being very silly people, my sister and I literally danced for the 5 minutes I steeped this tea for. Heck! I should buy a box just for the calories we’ll burn while the tea is brewing!

I keep steeping this too long to get more spiciness and end up instead with bitter Assam and a few bits of cardamom. The anise ruins it for me — I strongly dislike anise. Otherwise a bland chai. Expensive. Not sure this one is worth the retail price, though other Numi Teas definitely are.

I liked this, but it wasn’t as strong as I’d like. I usually drink chai when I want the strongest flavor I can get out of a tea. (And I usually leave a tea bag in until I’ve completely finished drinking.) And I also think there is something going on with me and ginger. I do not dislike ginger but I have a suspicion I’m not exactly allergic but it isn’t good for me to be eating it.

Cofftea

Sad day, I love ginger!

I agree with all the other posters. This tea definitely has a subtle blend of spices (I feel that the cardamom is most prevalent) that is smooth on the palette. I prefer my chai much stronger, and if milk and sugar are added to this (I drank it without) i fear that the subtlety of the flavors will disappear. Nice blend, good for those who don’t usually drink chai.

Numi Golden Chai truly is golden, which surprised me a bit since the base tea is Assam. I’d have guessed Ceylon, but probably there is just a high spice-to-tea ratio in this blend.

Since I was experimenting with almond-coconut milk today, I tried it for this glass and found the resultant adulterated liquor too weak—unsurprisingly. I’ll try again with light cream, or perhaps I’ll steep some bags directly in the almond-coconut milk next time.

I noticed that this chai lacks cloves, which can sometimes be problematic for me, so this blend holds potential. It might be better in the loose leaf form or else amped up with some extra Assam. I find CTC Assam very helpful in rescuing what I refer to as “spice cabinet chai”…

Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 2 g 9 OZ / 266 ML

I have to start off by saying that Numi is probably the first tea bag I ever had that really “wowed” me. I have tried many of their teas and if I see their name, I feel that it is going to be quality. So, that is why I got this Chai. I have been on a Chai kick, with the colder weather. This Chai is good. Not great, but I did enjoy it. I think that the cardamon may have been a little off for me, when I try to put a finger on it. I still love Numi, just will try a different Chai next time. The Holiday one sounds good.