Aged Earl Grey

Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Spencer

2 Images

From Numi Organic Tea

Earl Grey is one of the most popular teas, yet remains mysteriously beckoning. As the story goes, Charles Earl Grey, a 19th century British Prime Minister, was gifted this scented tea in gratitude for saving the life of a Chinese man. The secret to its lingering aroma is the pear shaped bergamot orange, called the The Fragrant One. Most Earl Greys utilize bergamot oils or flavorings. Numi’s special, organic Earl Grey is oil-free-using a unique method of aging this Italian bergamot fruit with malty Sonitpur Assam black tea. When brewed, it imparts an exquisite red-orange hue that calls to mind dawn’s finest moments. Balanced and stunning, we’ve recreated this timeless classic.

About Numi Organic Tea View company

I remember when I used to hate earl grey. Fast forward to now when I love it. The flavor of the bergamot has to be just right, and the quality of black tea to be good enough so that there is that lovely balance. I picked up this box of Aged Earl Grey, Numi, on a whim and it is a very nice earl grey blend, I really enjoy it. The bergamot flavor comes through, tasting very natural, not perfumey or cloying, and the taste of black tea holds its own. If you are using a large-ish sized mug, use two tea bags, in my opinion.

Loved this one. I got it in a sampler box, and wish now I had just bought a box of this instead! It was a nice full flavor with sweet, non-cleaner-like bergamot. I got no bitterness or dusty flavors, and it was near perfect for me. I may just be deprived, though. ha!

my favorite! i love this brewed a little strong and served over ice. my very favorite “everyday” iced tea.

Although I admit that in many ways I am a tea “novice” of sorts, I believe I have been around Earl Grey for long enough to judge when I have tried a good one. I just did a side-by-side comparison with Twinings Earl Grey, and I came to the conclusion that I enjoy Numi’s more.
Numi’s is a brighter, almost red-amber color. The taste of the tea seems purer and less refined than Twinings’. The bergamot flavoring, however, seems less prevalent in Numi’s, which I attribute to the organic nature of the bergamot used; though less powerful, the flavor is still on-par with the black tea, where in Twinings Earl Grey the bergamot oil nearly overpowers the tea itself. Frankly, after the comparison, my mouth is a little dry and my stomach is a tad uneasy. I’d like to place the blame on the oil used in Twinings’, but it may have just been the end result of drinking too much EG in one sitting.
Anyway, this is probably my favorite Earl Grey thus far.

A soft subtle Earl Grey. At least compared to previous Greys I’ve tried. The bergamot is almost an underlying scent. It’s there, you know it’s an Earl Grey, but it doesn’t over power you. I tend to like my Grey’s strong, may try a longer steeping time for my next cup.

My favorite Earl Grey that I’ve tried in a teabag. Bold bergamot presence, clean and refreshing overall quality, rich tea aroma but smooth flavor. I love it!

Very nice bagged earl grey. Numi again is the champ as far as bagged teas go. Never had one of theirs I didn’t like.

I decided to take advantage of Numi’s advertised 15% off sale and grab a few of their teas. I don’t believe I’ve had any Numi teas since I switched from bags to loose leaf four years ago.

When I opened the one-pound bag (yeah, when I see a good deal I buy it by the pound and hope I like it), I could instantly detect the Assam aroma blended with a bergamot scent. I brewed the leaves for five minutes at 212 degrees. The brewed aroma was again Assam-ish. The color was dark amber.

At first taste, I was deluged with the Assam flavor. The bergamot undertones frolicked underneath but not as strongly as I expected.

The flavor was not bad. I’d rate it as being medium-power. I would have liked more bergamot, though. It could be that my taste buds have been hypnotized by the extremely heavy bergamot presence in Rishi’s organic earl grey selections. I’ve been drinking Rishi’s earl grey offerings almost exclusively for the last two years.

In any event, I like this tea enough to continue drinking it (especially since I do have a pound of it to imbibe). If I purchase it again, it will be in smaller quantities.

Flavors: Bergamot, Tea

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 32 OZ / 946 ML

I am consistently satisfied with the quality of Numi’s teas. As distinctive as this tea is, I feel like it is versatile enough to pair well with almost any small plate or dessert. But it may be overwhelmed by a heavy meal. It is smooth and satisfying with a sophisticated air. The bergamot is much kinder to the palate than other orange-flavored teas. I foresee this being a staple of mine.

1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML