Aged Earl Grey

Assam Black Tea, Bergamot
Tea Bag
High
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

2 Images

• “A nice cup of earl grey to chase away the desire for hot cocoa. My last cup of tea I had at my fiancee's house. It might be my last cup of tea for a little bit because mom and dad are re-modeling...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 526 tasting notes
  • “I'm backtracking to Friday evening. My birthday was almost a month ago, & Tony & I take each other out for dinner for our birthdays. His was in Dec (sag) & he chose Nobu's, which is obviously a...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2863 tasting notes
  • “I’m soooo sleepy but there’s still a couple hours left in the workday. I need a cuppa! I grabbed a free tea bag of this at work several months ago, and it’s sat in my office desk drawer ever...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 509 tasting notes
  • “My favourite Earl Grey, ever. The presence of bits of bergamot, versus 'bergamot flavouring,' with a decent black tea, makes an enormous difference. Sadly, this tea is _very_ hard to find in my...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 508 tasting notes

From Numi Organic Tea

Earl Grey is one of the most popular teas, yet remains mysteriously beckoning. As the story goes, Charles Earl Grey, a 19th century British Prime Minister, was gifted this scented tea in gratitude for saving the life of a Chinese man. The secret to its lingering aroma is the pear shaped bergamot orange, called the The Fragrant One. Most Earl Greys utilize bergamot oils or flavorings. Numi’s special, organic Earl Grey is oil-free-using a unique method of aging this Italian bergamot fruit with malty Sonitpur Assam black tea. When brewed, it imparts an exquisite red-orange hue that calls to mind dawn’s finest moments. Balanced and stunning, we’ve recreated this timeless classic.

About Numi Organic Tea View company

I remember when I used to hate earl grey. Fast forward to now when I love it. The flavor of the bergamot has to be just right, and the quality of black tea to be good enough so that there is that lovely balance. I picked up this box of Aged Earl Grey, Numi, on a whim and it is a very nice earl grey blend, I really enjoy it. The bergamot flavor comes through, tasting very natural, not perfumey or cloying, and the taste of black tea holds its own. If you are using a large-ish sized mug, use two tea bags, in my opinion.

Loved this one. I got it in a sampler box, and wish now I had just bought a box of this instead! It was a nice full flavor with sweet, non-cleaner-like bergamot. I got no bitterness or dusty flavors, and it was near perfect for me. I may just be deprived, though. ha!

my favorite! i love this brewed a little strong and served over ice. my very favorite “everyday” iced tea.

Although I admit that in many ways I am a tea “novice” of sorts, I believe I have been around Earl Grey for long enough to judge when I have tried a good one. I just did a side-by-side comparison with Twinings Earl Grey, and I came to the conclusion that I enjoy Numi’s more.
Numi’s is a brighter, almost red-amber color. The taste of the tea seems purer and less refined than Twinings’. The bergamot flavoring, however, seems less prevalent in Numi’s, which I attribute to the organic nature of the bergamot used; though less powerful, the flavor is still on-par with the black tea, where in Twinings Earl Grey the bergamot oil nearly overpowers the tea itself. Frankly, after the comparison, my mouth is a little dry and my stomach is a tad uneasy. I’d like to place the blame on the oil used in Twinings’, but it may have just been the end result of drinking too much EG in one sitting.
Anyway, this is probably my favorite Earl Grey thus far.

A soft subtle Earl Grey. At least compared to previous Greys I’ve tried. The bergamot is almost an underlying scent. It’s there, you know it’s an Earl Grey, but it doesn’t over power you. I tend to like my Grey’s strong, may try a longer steeping time for my next cup.

My favorite Earl Grey that I’ve tried in a teabag. Bold bergamot presence, clean and refreshing overall quality, rich tea aroma but smooth flavor. I love it!

Very nice bagged earl grey. Numi again is the champ as far as bagged teas go. Never had one of theirs I didn’t like.

So this tea really confused me, and I almost think it was mispackaged. I was at a friend’s house and he offered me tea, and I chose this because Earl Grey is that inoffensive tea that even if awful is still drinkable.

Only, when steeped… there was no bergamot flavor. At all.

And the tea quality is pretty damn awful in these filter bags so there I was drinking bad black tea that didn’t have bergamot to cover up how bad it actually was.

At least I squashed Steven at Boggle.

I tried the decaffeinated Earl Grey from Numi and was pleasantly surprised, so I decided to brew up a cup of the caffeinated version today, also included in the sampler box.

It’s good! A nice rounded Assam base, and I do smell and taste the tea more than the bergamot. This is more my preferred style of Earl Grey: a harmonious balance between the bergamot and the base tea, rather than a massive cover-up of the tea.

The liquor is darker orange amber (not quite red), so I may have used too much water for this Assam blend. I may try their loose leaf version, which I’d be able easily to brew to my desired strength for Earl Grey—to be served with light cream.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 g 9 OZ / 266 ML