Aged Earl Grey

Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Spencer

2 Images

From Numi Organic Tea

Earl Grey is one of the most popular teas, yet remains mysteriously beckoning. As the story goes, Charles Earl Grey, a 19th century British Prime Minister, was gifted this scented tea in gratitude for saving the life of a Chinese man. The secret to its lingering aroma is the pear shaped bergamot orange, called the The Fragrant One. Most Earl Greys utilize bergamot oils or flavorings. Numi’s special, organic Earl Grey is oil-free-using a unique method of aging this Italian bergamot fruit with malty Sonitpur Assam black tea. When brewed, it imparts an exquisite red-orange hue that calls to mind dawn’s finest moments. Balanced and stunning, we’ve recreated this timeless classic.

About Numi Organic Tea View company

As far as bagged Earl Grey goes, this is a very good one. The bergamot is subtle but enjoyable, with no oils floating to the top as there may be in stronger blends—I think this is due to the aging process they describe. The tea base itself is quite mellow and smooth, not knock-your-socks-off as others of this kind can be. I only had a sample of this, but I would be happy to have it on hand for busy days, it’s definitely above average in the bagged black tea department.

finally found it in a newly opened organic supermarket. They will continue to keep it in stock. Pff. so pleased. It’s my favourite earl grey. Couldn’t find it for years.

Genuine earl grey tea, doesn’t get bitter. No artificial colourings, additions. Just plain organic assam with organic REAL bergamot oil. A gem.

So this tea really confused me, and I almost think it was mispackaged. I was at a friend’s house and he offered me tea, and I chose this because Earl Grey is that inoffensive tea that even if awful is still drinkable.

Only, when steeped… there was no bergamot flavor. At all.

And the tea quality is pretty damn awful in these filter bags so there I was drinking bad black tea that didn’t have bergamot to cover up how bad it actually was.

At least I squashed Steven at Boggle.

I tried the decaffeinated Earl Grey from Numi and was pleasantly surprised, so I decided to brew up a cup of the caffeinated version today, also included in the sampler box.

It’s good! A nice rounded Assam base, and I do smell and taste the tea more than the bergamot. This is more my preferred style of Earl Grey: a harmonious balance between the bergamot and the base tea, rather than a massive cover-up of the tea.

The liquor is darker orange amber (not quite red), so I may have used too much water for this Assam blend. I may try their loose leaf version, which I’d be able easily to brew to my desired strength for Earl Grey—to be served with light cream.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 g 9 OZ / 266 ML

Amazing how different Earl Grey can be from one company to another. I tried this one and thought I went to Earl Grey heaven. The smell is amazing, the taste is amazing. I need to get more!

I’ve tried quite a lot of brands for earl grey, but Numi is by far the best. It has a sharper and much more articulated flavor.

This is my go-to Earl Grey. Dark, robust, and juuuuust the right amount of bergamot. Today I am off from work, and decided to cook and be productive instead of lazing about. I brewed some of the loose Aged Earl Grey, poured it into my stout little Polish bubble mug, and started cooking cooking. Thanks to this tea, our crockpot is now filled with brown sugar & beer pulled chicken!

My little sister’s favorite tea is earl grey, so I’ve tried a bunch of different kinds and brands and varieties.
Numi’s is probably one of the best (if not the best) tea-bag earl greys that I have ever had.
It’s just super delicious. It has a really nice smell, and I think the real bergamot adds all the difference, taste wise.
I like to add a bit of milk and honey.
This is my first review thing I have no idea what I’m doing.

Seemed like a nice tea, but my experience was slightly marred by the fact that it was way oversteeped. I ordered it at a bakery and they just kinda let it sit before calling it out. Still enjoyed it though!

This was pretty good for an on-the-go pouch. Perhaps a little Bergamot-y (that’s a word, right) for me. Good energy booster.