Aged Earl Grey

Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Spencer

2 Images

From Numi Organic Tea

Earl Grey is one of the most popular teas, yet remains mysteriously beckoning. As the story goes, Charles Earl Grey, a 19th century British Prime Minister, was gifted this scented tea in gratitude for saving the life of a Chinese man. The secret to its lingering aroma is the pear shaped bergamot orange, called the The Fragrant One. Most Earl Greys utilize bergamot oils or flavorings. Numi’s special, organic Earl Grey is oil-free-using a unique method of aging this Italian bergamot fruit with malty Sonitpur Assam black tea. When brewed, it imparts an exquisite red-orange hue that calls to mind dawn’s finest moments. Balanced and stunning, we’ve recreated this timeless classic.

About Numi Organic Tea View company

Made this with milk and a bit of sweetener. This is unfortunately a bit light on the bergamot. It’s there, but I prefer it a bit stronger. If you want a milder Earl Grey, check this out. It might actually be better without milk

I’ve had this tea before and I typically have problems with it either being overly light or overly bitter. That’s my problem with Assams in general.

But this morning, my snobbish tendencies did not deter me. Numi has a chocolate version of this tea and I’ve been hesitating to try it. And I’ve been an Earl Grey fiend lately. So I took the opportunity to try some with my breakfast out this morning after voting. It was served in a teapot that I guessed to be at least 14 but at most 16 ounces. Water was around 190-200 degrees F, and after about two minutes and 35 seconds poured some. I made it intentionally lighter, and as others have said on here, neither the bergamot or the Assam is overpowering. It’s actually pleasant. Really pleasant. A doubtless Earl Grey, but a lighter smoother one with the weird chocolate-cocoa-sweet potato tones that I normally get from a Yunnan black tea. Those are tastes you get from an Assam too, but normally not in the same subtle way. Normally, I get MALT and brisk astringency. That’s also what I usually get from this tea. But not today. It was like a lighter version of the Wild Grey…which has become one of my favorite teas from Whispering Pines. In short, it impressed me and I actually wanted more. That, or my hyperglycemia is making me so high that ANY tea tastes good right now. High blood sugars do screw with my cravings.

It was a little bit maltier, but also more chocolate orange-er after 4 minutes. I got three pots out of the one bag still being just as good. I normally don’t like this tea. I also am not a huge fan of Numi. But after the way it was brewed this morning, I think I changed my mind on it. So I should probably brew it for no more than a minute with one bag in a regular cup. I can now officially say that I want to try the Indulgent chocolate version of this. Or, I could officially say that my cravings were really mind altering.

I decided to take advantage of Numi’s advertised 15% off sale and grab a few of their teas. I don’t believe I’ve had any Numi teas since I switched from bags to loose leaf four years ago.

When I opened the one-pound bag (yeah, when I see a good deal I buy it by the pound and hope I like it), I could instantly detect the Assam aroma blended with a bergamot scent. I brewed the leaves for five minutes at 212 degrees. The brewed aroma was again Assam-ish. The color was dark amber.

At first taste, I was deluged with the Assam flavor. The bergamot undertones frolicked underneath but not as strongly as I expected.

The flavor was not bad. I’d rate it as being medium-power. I would have liked more bergamot, though. It could be that my taste buds have been hypnotized by the extremely heavy bergamot presence in Rishi’s organic earl grey selections. I’ve been drinking Rishi’s earl grey offerings almost exclusively for the last two years.

In any event, I like this tea enough to continue drinking it (especially since I do have a pound of it to imbibe). If I purchase it again, it will be in smaller quantities.

Flavors: Bergamot, Tea

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 32 OZ / 946 ML

I am consistently satisfied with the quality of Numi’s teas. As distinctive as this tea is, I feel like it is versatile enough to pair well with almost any small plate or dessert. But it may be overwhelmed by a heavy meal. It is smooth and satisfying with a sophisticated air. The bergamot is much kinder to the palate than other orange-flavored teas. I foresee this being a staple of mine.

1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Lately I’ve been really down on astringency, knowing that it can really compliment a tea but not being at all in the mood for a harsh mouth-smack. This Earl Grey was exactly what I needed.

As other have said, this is not so much perfumed as it is brushed over with a natural, floral aroma. The assam itself is mild but still flavorful, certainly enough for a bagged tea. Until I find something better, this will be my goto bagged Earl Grey.

For an impulse buy at Whole Foods, this tea has been outstanding.

Flavors: Bergamot

As far as bagged Earl Grey goes, this is a very good one. The bergamot is subtle but enjoyable, with no oils floating to the top as there may be in stronger blends—I think this is due to the aging process they describe. The tea base itself is quite mellow and smooth, not knock-your-socks-off as others of this kind can be. I only had a sample of this, but I would be happy to have it on hand for busy days, it’s definitely above average in the bagged black tea department.

finally found it in a newly opened organic supermarket. They will continue to keep it in stock. Pff. so pleased. It’s my favourite earl grey. Couldn’t find it for years.

Genuine earl grey tea, doesn’t get bitter. No artificial colourings, additions. Just plain organic assam with organic REAL bergamot oil. A gem.

So this tea really confused me, and I almost think it was mispackaged. I was at a friend’s house and he offered me tea, and I chose this because Earl Grey is that inoffensive tea that even if awful is still drinkable.

Only, when steeped… there was no bergamot flavor. At all.

And the tea quality is pretty damn awful in these filter bags so there I was drinking bad black tea that didn’t have bergamot to cover up how bad it actually was.

At least I squashed Steven at Boggle.

I tried the decaffeinated Earl Grey from Numi and was pleasantly surprised, so I decided to brew up a cup of the caffeinated version today, also included in the sampler box.

It’s good! A nice rounded Assam base, and I do smell and taste the tea more than the bergamot. This is more my preferred style of Earl Grey: a harmonious balance between the bergamot and the base tea, rather than a massive cover-up of the tea.

The liquor is darker orange amber (not quite red), so I may have used too much water for this Assam blend. I may try their loose leaf version, which I’d be able easily to brew to my desired strength for Earl Grey—to be served with light cream.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 g 9 OZ / 266 ML