Chocolate Puerh

Pu-erh Tea
Cocoa, Nutmeg, Organic Cinnamon, Organic Orange Peel, Organic Rooibos, Organic Vanilla Beans
Chocolate, Cocoa, Cinnamon, Dark Bittersweet, Nutmeg, Nuts, Orange Zest, Vanilla
Tea Bag
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Lee

• “For some 15 (or more) years of my life, my wonderful neighbor went to Germany to visit her children for the spring months. While she was gone, we watched her home, brought in the mail and other...” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes
  • “Well this is my 2nd attempt at Pu Erh. My 1st was adagio's pu erh dante which was absolutely ??vile??. But ya know... something just dawned on me. It's almost exactly a year since that experience....” Read full tasting note
    Cofftea 865 tasting notes
  • “Insteresting letter from Jillian in my letterbox today! I've been trying to figure out what to try first and decided I was more interested in this. When I sent Jillian my 'wishlist' of things I'd...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1276 tasting notes
  • “This was the tea I was craving yesterday after Harney & Sons' Peaches & Ginger black tea. To be fair, I was wanting it the day before too. This tea, I crave at times. It tastes like dark rich...” Read full tasting note
    chrine 545 tasting notes

From Numi Organic Tea

A rich, velvet, chocolaty aroma envelops this enticing blend of deep, dark Puerh and organic cocoa nibs. Numi’s Chocolate Puerh is made with organic wild-harvested tea leaves fermented and ripened into an earthy black tea. Whole vanilla beans and sweet accents of orange peel enhance this blend along with nutmeg and cinnamon rounding off a spicy finish. Rich in antioxidants, this hearty and healthy Puerh tea is decadence in a cup.

About Numi Organic Tea View company

I got this tea as a sample for following Numi on Twitter. I am a little scared on Puerh and I had never tried it before, but I must say that I am very glad I got this sample because this is one of the best chocolate teas I have ever had.

The tea did have kind of a weird earthy smell and I don’t think I would want to drink it cold but when hot this tea has a wonderful depth. The chocolate flavor has so many rich dimensions that I could swear I was drinking something bad for me.

I had this tea plain but it had a wonderfully creamy and sweet essence. There was also a lovely hint of cinnamon in the background that really enhanced the flavor. I am definitely gonna have to get myself some of this in the future!

Cofftea

Ditto! I was even in a worse scenario- I tried this after a pu erh fataliTEA. VERY good in latte form too!

Caitlin

I could definitely see this making a good latte!

Had this tea this AM w/a little bit of milk and lots of sugar. This is the perfect way to start the day w/ a bold and assertive flavor and the brewing times aren’t too picky…. The tea tastes slightly spicy and slightly earthy…..It really is becoming my favorites and it is a bagged tea!

SoccerMom

I guess I am going to have to cave and make an order for this. Between you and Cofftea’s reviews I am now quite intrigued. :)

Lori

It is very good and Whole Foods sells it (so it is easy to get)…

Cofftea

SoccerMom, you should! Get the loose so I can read how it is:)

SoccerMom

Cofftea, I am writing it on my tea list that I keep on my desk beside me. I’ve already made my March tea order but I will definitely place an order in April. Since you have pushing this tea on my like a pusher! LOL j/k I like “bold and assertive” so this review helped seal the deal!

Cofftea

Hehe yep- this, mandarin matcha, and Mayan Chocolate Chai!

Cofftea and Angrboda’s notes about this one made me really eager to break open my box and give it a try. And man, am I glad I did. This one is a delightful sensuous experience on so many levels.

The bags do have an amazing smell. It starts as gingerbready, and not the vaguely spicy smell of ginger snaps or even the bready smell of gingerbread men (or women :-)), but a really deep, rich smell, like a fresh gingerbread loaf right out of the oven. Then it moves to something more chocolatey, with a dab of vanilla dropped in; the best I can come up with to describe it is that it’s the smell of how chocolate mousse tastes.

The tea is about as dark brown as it gets and I can’t see the bottom of the cup. The aroma is not quite as striking as it was dry, but still very pleasing. The taste is unique and complex. I taste mainly the chocolate and the spices, but there’s also an almost coffee-like note that sits on the tongue.

One of the things I find most enjoyable about it is its texture. The package uses the adjective velvety. I’m not sure what part of the experience that is supposed to apply to but for me it is how it feels in my mouth — soft, a little slick, and with substance to it, almost like a broth, and quite comforting.

Overall, a very satisfying experience and one I expect I’ll go back to again and again.

Ricky

Gingerbready, yes, that’s what it was! It reminded me a bit of pumpkin spice and Adagio’s gingerbread tea, which I didn’t like that much either. Ahhhh!

YUMMMM!!!

__Morgana__

I’m such a coffee purist that it is surprising to me that I am enjoying the flavored teas. I do adulterate my coffee by putting milk in it and I haven’t found that I like that with tea, but I think it was General Foods International Coffees way back (which it actually took me about a year to realize how bad they were because they were so cleverly sugared that they always made me feel happy when I drank them) that put me off of flavored coffee and I can’t bring myself to drink anything but ground drip. In any case, I am a total puehr virgin prior to this so I freely admit that I have an underdeveloped palate where they are concerned. But I intend to remedy that. :-)

Drinking this right now!=D

__Morgana__

I had it twice today already!

Today has been a good day, I have spent it sipping very strong black tea, avoiding the cold with a lap cat, finalizing some perler project plans, and watching Let’s Plays for the new game, Starbound. I am certainly going to play it (assuming my computer doesn’t laugh at the mere thought of me attempting it, much like it did with Minecraft) next time I have money to buy a new game. You all know me, I am a sucker for games with amazing pixel sprites, it is one of my passions. Of course you are all here for my other passion, tea! Welcome to day five of Pu Erh week!

Today we are looking at Chocolate Pu Erh by Numi Organic Tea. I actually first tried this tea almost two years ago, but that was in the dark age when I didn’t review teas so I remember next to nothing about it except that I liked it, so it is time to take another look at it. The aroma is very chocolaty with a slight touch of vanilla and spice. The aroma is more like a truffle than a tea since I do not detect any aroma of the Pu Erh, I am suspecting this will be a potent dessert tea.

Once I introduce the teabag to its nice hot bath I start to notice the aroma of tea, it comes through as earthy and a touch malty. There is of course still a very strong aroma of chocolate and spices, primarily nutmeg, and a tiny hint of vanilla. The tea is still very reminiscent of dessert and there is still not much of the tea aroma in this tea. I should note that even though the Pu Erh aroma is very faint the tea still smells really yummy.

Tasting time! Feel free to play the Final Fantasy VII Victory Fanfare in your mind in celebration of a successful steep, I know I do. The taste is chocolaty and creamy, like a mix of chocolate and vanilla truffles with a hint of a spiced aftertaste. It is not all just rich chocolate and vanilla though, there is an earthiness that is there under all the other flavors adding a weight to the sipping. The mouthfeel is brisk and the flavor is bright. I will call this a dessert tea but it is not overwhelmingly sweet, similar to dark chocolate, so it is good to drink alongside a dessert without having a sweetness overdose. As it cools I notice notes of roasted nuts and biscuit. Not bad, I wish there had been more of a Pu Erh taste, but this would be a great way to introduce a newcomer to the world of Pu Erh.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2013/12/numi-organic-tea-chocolate-pu-erh-tea.html

So, we took this week off for our anniversary, and we did a day trip to Carmel and Monterey yesterday. I was a little sad to be away from all my teas, but we stopped in at a little place in Carmel for breakfast, who are known for their famous french toast, and I had some of this tea. The French toast was amazing…battered and fried like a funnel cake and served with homemade cinnamon maple syrup! Yum! I had some fresh fruit to help offset the heaviness.

I asked for tea and she brought out a basket piled high with mostly Numi tea bags. I decided to try the chocolate puerh, and it was pretty good! Does anyone know if they sell this tea loose leaf? The teabag, though, would be great to take on travel. Anyway, the tea reminded me of the bready quality puerh in sTEAp shoppe’s cinnamon swirl bread tea. Very nice, with added chocolate flavor. Not bad when you’re away from the stash!!

Hi again fellow Steepsters! Long time no see! I’ve been incredibly busy with end of semester projects, graduation (eek! Well, and yay!) and getting ready to move. I have still been drinking tea though! So some of the reviews to come may be from a bit ago or impressions from a bit ago and the present. Soooo… Here we go!

This was sent to me by Jaime! Thanks a ton! I’ve been wanting to try this forever.

The first time I steeped this, I used the water from my Sparkletts water jug dispenser (the hot side). Well, apparently it didn’t get hot enough that time and/or I was pretty impatient to make my tea (also likely), because after it steeped for about 4 min I tested the water and it was only lukewarm! I figured that I would try the tea anyway, but even as it cooled it still only tasted like water with some spices and pepper. Not too pleasant. I’ve never had a pu-erh tea before, but I figured that that couldn’t be right.

After chalking the first steeping experience up to user error, I tried it again yesterday. This time, I made sure that the water was hot enough, then steeped the tea bag for 4 min and then gave the cup a good stir to mix everything together (as recommended by Jaime). I could pretty much just taste water spices again while it was hot, but as it started to cool, I could really start to taste and smell the chocolate as well as the orange, cinnamon, and nutmeg. This is totally different from cocoa. If you are looking at this to be a replacement for that, then I think that you will be disappointed. But if you just look at this tea as being a different kind of beverage “option,” then you might be pleasantly surprised. This was a totally different tea experience for me, but you know what? I think that I liked it! I am going to try it one more time before I rate it and decide if I want to buy a box once I am finished with the samples.

Jaime

Yeah, this is one that you kind of have to come to with no expectations…it’s not going to taste like cocoa, or tea, or really even pu erh (at least, not for me). It’s its own special thing. I’m going to have to get me some more of it myself!

Chai is that you??? this one taste like a Chai tea to me and smells like a Chai to me too, It’s really good but i dont taste much chocolate in here there other things cover it if its in there, I got this one in a Swap from someone who isnt on here on steepster so i didnt have to buy it and i’m glad because i almost bought some but now i wont cuz it’s pretty much puerh chai its still good but i want one that taste like chocolate for real maybe i can find a different chocolate puerh.

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Hey Hey a little chocolate flavored syrup fixed it right up :) very good.

TeaBrat

maybe you just need to add chocolate syrup to your puerhs instead of finding a chocolate puerh :)

Thomas Edward(Toad)

i know right, then i can make my fav into chocolate :)

It’s spicy. Quite spicy. Not very pu-erhy though. Definitely not very chocolatey.

It’s not bad, but I was expecting something else. Earthy notes of chocolate with deep foresty cooked puerh… nope. It’s mostly just a spicy tea. I can appreciate that it’s well enough made, but I’m just not a fan of the genre.

I’m curious about what will happen if I add milk to this, which is my general practice with black teas and some cooked pu-erhs. I’ll report on that later.

Cofftea

I suggest steeping it longer… like almost 8 min if you add milk. I steep this one for 6:45 clean and 7:45 w/ milk. Hopefully this will bring out the chocolateyness for you that I love so much!

Harfatum

Thanks for the tip, I’ll give it a shot!

I love teas naked, but chocolate or chai teas I need some milk or cream in them. I loved it with this tea. This is a nice, earthy tea. This is my first experience with pu’erh. This tea has coffee like components. It actually reminds me of freshly roasted Ethiopian coffee they serve at some good Ethiopian restaurants. Dark, smooth, and no bitterness. Not an everyday tea for me, but an every now and then kind of tea.

Cofftea

I love chocolate teas clean as well, but yes- very good w/ milk!

Steep Information:
Amount: 1 teabag 2.6g
Additives: none
Water: hot spigot water, 1 mug (12 oz?)
Steep Time: a little over 5 minutes
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: chai-like, spicy
Steeped Tea Smell: chocolate, nutmeg, vanilla
Flavor: chocolate, nutmeg, rooibos, earthy
Body: Medium
Aftertaste: nutmeg, cinnamon, warm spicy
Liquor: dark cloudy reddish-brown

Steepster Traveling Teabox Tea

It doesn’t have quite enough kick to be a chai. With all the rave reviews I was expecting something a bit more amazing. It is a nice spicy chocolate tea, but not something I am going to go out of my way to try. I am very glad I got the opportunity to give it a try via the teabox as I am not sure I would have been pleased to end up with an entire box of this tea. There are so many teas out there I want to try that i don’t want to be stuck with good tea, I want to only stock up on amazing tea.

Post-Steep Additives: none

Cofftea

I drink it w/ half as much water… maybe that would help? No, it is definitely not a chai, it’s not supposed to be. I wish it would just be chocolate + pu erh.

SoccerMom

Hmmm and I have this as one of my next purchases. I’m glad you tried it before as we seem to have a very similar taste in tea.

LiberTEAS

I like this one too, which surprised me a lot because normally I don’t care for pu-erh.

Cofftea

LiberTEAS, I agree- I am not a cooked pu erh fan (but LOVE raw pu erh), but I’m completely in love w/ this one so I can’t wait to try other flavored cooked pu erhs.