Chocolate Puerh

Pu-erh Tea
Cocoa, Nutmeg, Organic Cinnamon, Organic Orange Peel, Organic Rooibos, Organic Vanilla Beans
Chocolate, Cocoa, Cinnamon, Dark Bittersweet, Nutmeg, Nuts, Orange Zest, Vanilla
Tea Bag
Medium
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Lee

• “For some 15 (or more) years of my life, my wonderful neighbor went to Germany to visit her children for the spring months. While she was gone, we watched her home, brought in the mail and other...” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes
  • “Well this is my 2nd attempt at Pu Erh. My 1st was adagio's pu erh dante which was absolutely ??vile??. But ya know... something just dawned on me. It's almost exactly a year since that experience....” Read full tasting note
    Cofftea 865 tasting notes
  • “Insteresting letter from Jillian in my letterbox today! I've been trying to figure out what to try first and decided I was more interested in this. When I sent Jillian my 'wishlist' of things I'd...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1256 tasting notes
  • “This was the tea I was craving yesterday after Harney & Sons' Peaches & Ginger black tea. To be fair, I was wanting it the day before too. This tea, I crave at times. It tastes like dark rich...” Read full tasting note
    chrine 545 tasting notes

From Numi Organic Tea

A rich, velvet, chocolaty aroma envelops this enticing blend of deep, dark Puerh and organic cocoa nibs. Numi’s Chocolate Puerh is made with organic wild-harvested tea leaves fermented and ripened into an earthy black tea. Whole vanilla beans and sweet accents of orange peel enhance this blend along with nutmeg and cinnamon rounding off a spicy finish. Rich in antioxidants, this hearty and healthy Puerh tea is decadence in a cup.

About Numi Organic Tea View company

I am a Numi fan, but a newbie to pu erh. I was sent a box of the Chocolate Pu-Erh to review and it was an excellent intro to pu erh tea and its health benefits. I enjoy this tea at night as a dessert treat, and love putting in a bit of cream or milk to make it more of a dessert. It’s a great way to get your chocolate fix with a little bit of a kick.

This is my 2nd venture into the crazy land of Pu’erh tea and again, it was great.
I think I am totally not doing this right though – since both Pu’erhs I have tried so far
have been Chocolate-flavoured.

This one takes it a step further and puts Rooibos and spicing in there too – it’s actually a bit like a Chocolate Chai tea I tried a while back. There is not much here not to like, it’s well-blended and the flavours are very mild and subtle compared to what I was expecting.

This one, along with the Chocolate Strawberry Pu’erh I had a couple weeks ago, seem like Pu’erh with training wheels. I should probably try one of the gross fishy-smelling Pu’erhs sometime so I can see what it’s really supposed to taste like. But in any case, this is pretty good and definitely a solid cup of tea. A bit different than the usual kind of tea I would drink, but nice to try a new category of teas!

The aroma and flavor profile of this tea are enjoyable – cocoa and cinnamon with a hint of spice. But that blend doesn’t carry the bland thinness of it, unfortunately. This is especially noticeable for puerh drinkers anticipating some depth to dive into. If you’re willing to give it a double or triple bag infusion its personality would probably pick up, but I haven’t taken that route. Adding a touch of almond milk added body and seemed to intensify the flavor a bit, so that’ll be its destiny.

Cofftea

Hm. What were your steeping parameters for this?

Whew! Satisfying, light, dessert-y. Numi’s Chocolate Puerh is a pleasant surprise. Sipping it as I infuse a cream pie with it. Amazing stuff. Real cacao and a little orange peel for a nice blend.

Mmmm! I added a little bit of strawberry juice and sugar to this today to eat with my home made strawberry ice cream. I think I like the tea better!

Hot chocolate. That is what this tea smells like. When steeped it also has a slight hot chocolate flavor to it. It reminds me of a really good hot chocolate that I can’t remember the name of. Godiva? maybe… Numi has done a great job once again. I love most of what I’ve tried from them and this one is another keeper. The other thing I love about this tea is that the puerh and the chocolate not only mix well but also don’t try to over power each other. Perfectly proportionate.

Flavors: Chocolate

4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

I was feeling groggy, so that seemed like a good excuse to revisit some of the Numi filterbag pu-erhs. This Chocolate Puerh seems more like a cocoa chai than a pu-erh to me. It reminds me of a cross between Chai Diaries Wisdom Pu-erh and Chai Diairies Chocolate Chai. The last time I drank this brew with milk, though the liquor is rather light and cloudy amber, indicating that there are more spices and what-not than black tea in the blend. Today i am drinking it au naturel. I realize now that one bag would go better in 5 rather than 10 ounces. Seems a bit wan.

I am weighing the possibility of obtaining some of this tea in loose-leaf form. I am very curious to see what the proportions of added stuff look like. Some of Numi’s loose-leaf teas come only in a 1 lb bag, but a few also are offered in a 4 ounce size. Hopefully this one is among them.

Flavors: Cocoa

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 2 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

I took this out of the teabag and put into an infuser so I could see it. It looks like ground up cacao beans and nuts. Smells sooooooo chocolatey!!!!
The liquor is an orange dark brown color but still see thru. I am glad because I thought that it would be thick and muddy being pu-erh. But this is only the second pu-erh I have had and I like this one.
I didn’t look at the ingredients until after I had been sipping it and there is a cinnamon finish. This is like a Mayan chocolate drink and it’s very yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As the mixture cools, I can taste the vanilla beans which are also ground up inside!!!
Very yummy and was a good impulse buy!!
___________________________________________________________________________
7/9/14
This is probably the best tea bag tea that I have tried. I love the chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg flavors. Enjoying a cup that I brewed in my Pyrex cup this morning lol. Easy!
__________________________________________________________________________
7/22/14
This is probably the only teabag that I would actually buy on a regular basis. It is really good in a pinch when you are just in a total hurry. It has a satisfying black tea, hot chocolate flavor. I even kept it in the teabag this morning I was in such a hurry but I usually cut the contents out and brew in an infuser bc of supposed chemicals in teabags and coffee filters. I just drank chemicals and all this morning lol what can you do,,,they’re everywhere :(

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Dark Bittersweet, Nutmeg, Nuts, Orange Zest, Vanilla

I liked this tea, although as one other person commented it tastes “thin.” the flavors are all there—nice chocolate, cinnamon, earthy puerh, but it just isn’t as strong as I would prefer. Compared to The Tea Spot’s Bolder Breakfast, this is rather light. (Although I suppose that is not quite a fair comparison because the Bolder Breakfast is a blend of black tea and puerh, so of course it would taste stronger than just pure puerh.)Anyway, as far as chocolatey teas go, this is good but not my favorite.

I first had Pu Erh tea in Japan when my good friend bought me a bag and told me it was beauty tea. She was very beautiful, and so was the tea. This has the Pu Erh flavor but the chocolate really adds another amazing dimension to it. This tea works great when I am craving chocolate and want to feel indulgent. It is very good!