Cardamom Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Cardamom, Pu Erh Tea
Dirt, Earth, Fishy, Bitter, Cardamon, Spices, Alcohol, Citrus Zest, Grass, Green Wood
Tea Bag
High
Fair Trade, Kosher, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae

2 Images

From Numi Organic Tea

Sweet, aromatic & spicy

This luxurious blend of rich Black Pu∙erh tea is enlivened by the spicy and crisp hints of sweet green cardamom. The exotic and aromatic experience of this one-of-a-kind specialty tea is truly an adventure of the senses.

Soulful Steeping:
Bring fresh water to boil. Slowly pour over a bag of Cardamom Pu-erh. As exotic aroma warm and enchant you, steep 4-5 minutes. For iced tea, steep 2 tea bags, cool and pour over ice.

Ingredients: Verified Fair Labor organic black pu-erh tea, organic cardamom

http://shop.numitea.com/Cardamom-Puerh/p/NUMIS-10430&[email protected]@Puerh

About Numi Organic Tea View company

This was discovered on a recent trip to Whole Foods, I am not a big fan of Numi’s Chocolate Chai but I thought I would give this a whirl since I really like cardamom.

I’m glad I got this and I think it’s really yummy. The cardamom is really strong here and it goes so well with the earthy pu-erh, I am glad I got it. I’m drinking it plain but it would also be really good with sugar or soymilk. Thankfully I am finding I don’t really need either. I’ll have to keep this around at work as a digestif. It’s true that the cardamom is really strong but it works (for me).

Meditation for this evening: I deserve to be treated with kindness and respect, not rage and profanity.

Kasumi no Chajin

I adore this one! hope to restock it with loose soon.(also with the ginger one!)

TeaBrat

It is good!

Charisma

Great post! I def need to make a trip to Whole Foods and try this out. I love cardamom.

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

Oooh! I like cardamom. This one sounds v good.

A review of 100% Organic & Pure Green Tea by Organic & Pure, Inc.

Company: Numi Organic Tea

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 5 minutes

As I have been having many pu-erh teas of late, I notice each time when pouring the tea water into my cup with the tea bag already in it that the teas’ color right away, first a light orange/cantaloupe color to the dark red resulting at end of steep time.

The tea’s aroma is pungently of moisture with hints of spice when I am sipping the tea. The mustiness is what I am met with when first trying the tea and with each sip and allowing the tea settle in my palate I note the spices.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes

The tea is steep for less time using the same tea bag and color is very much the same dark red and the pungent moisture/dampness is not as strong but still remains and this time more of the spice of cardamom is coming through.

As I have been sampling many spice teas of late for this season and the one spice seeming a stranger to me is Cardamom. So I thought to give a proper look up of it. I have read of this prior but had forgotten.

Cardamom is a peppery ginger lemon flavor—small black seeds from a tropical shrub are used to flavor herbal tea blends.

Cardamom was one of the first spices brought to Egypt along the trade routes from Eastern India. It grows only in rain forests with at least 150 inches of amount rain fall and seeds from cardamom can be used to sweeten the breadth.

In all this tea is a sweetly aromatic and spicy.

Nicole

Cardamom is one of my favorite spices. I’m not sure about pu-erh though. Maybe I should try this one.

gmathis

I don’t know that I’ve ever had cardamom in anything but chai … normal cooking uses?

Nicole

Excellent in breads and pastries.

Bonnie

Cardamom is used in Indian cooking. Well, the only thing I want to know is how you liked the puerh with cardamom? The taste?

Bonnie

I looked at your blog and you do a nice job. It’s lots of work I know! Takes me forever to write only a small story!

ms.aineecbeland

I am sorry if I did not make it clear that with the added cardamom to the pu-erh acted as another layer to getting past the mustiness/wet/dampness of the taste. It was done nicely; the pu-erh is intact and the cardamom is just an adage; a layering of sort. It was the same with the ginger as well. I like Numi’s pu-erh and in fact I have wanted to keep stock of their teas but I have yet to accomplish this. Income is minus on my part. Thank you for reading and happy holidays. I don’t have friends here, I know this. Best.

I think I’ve found another purse tea. Earthy pu-erh and cardamom are a perfect blend for a cold winter afternoon. A great bagged tea.

Shmiracles

this sound like something i’d like!

Tea Sparrow was sampling this out at the Victoria Tea Festival. I was a little skeptical at first since pu-erh and I don’t exactly get along, but I was ultimately sold on the cardamom.

Wow, cardamom pairs really well with the earthy pu-erh. By the way, when I say cardamom, I mean, crazy cardamom on steroids. I barely tasted the tea base. I actually felt very cleansed drinking this tea. But at the same time, it made me just think, gee, I could just steep a bunch of green cardamom pods with a regular tea at home and get similar results.

Bagged Tea.
Aroma when Dry: Bright, spicy, warm, fresh, uplifting.
After water is first poured: warm, smooth spice,
as brewing: mellow earthy spice
Tea liquor: first color: light earthy red
At end of steep even earthy red.
Staple? Yes, will look into loose leaf next
Time of day preferred: Morning, or if I need a pick me up.
Taste: first notes: cardamom, peppery bite. fresh, bodied.
Additives used (milk, honey, sugar etc)? No.
Lingers? Yes, with almost a lemony, or Chamomile texture, but spicier. can feel it warming entire body.
As it cools? Still warm, spice fades a bit, mellows and then deepens to general earthy notes

Delicious! Love the strength of the cardamom in this tea. It also has a sweet creaminess that reminds me of kheer.

Anna

I FINALLY FOUND THIS IN A LOCAL STORE!!!

Ashmanra gave me one of these because we’re on a cardamom kick.

These are teabags and I like that because I’m lazy. I enjoy being smugly superior to people with my loose leaf but sometimes you need the bag. It’s simple and I feel like I get more uniform results over loose leaf. Plus you can keep it in your bag. I have a lot of tea in my purse. It’s super handy in airports, hotels, waiting for your car at the shop, work meetings…

First impressions taking the bag out of the wrapper, is a cardamom sucker punch. I got worried because I like cardamom but I dunno if I like it quite that much. It was so strong it was nearly anise.

I boiled up some water and steeped the bag for four minutes. It is an incredibly dark steep.

Second impression, it smells extremely puerh-y, which is to say like a horse stable. More worried.

Fortunately the actual steep tastes strongly of neither, it’s quite balanced and enjoyable. I can see this being a handy bag to keep around especially if traveling. Will be buying a box of my own.

ashmanra

Glad you liked it! I think I can get a discount on it from Jason so let me know when you want it. I got that one at The Fresh Market.

I bought this as a special treat at The Fresh Market today, where the bad girl in me always wins and gets to put something we really don’t need in the basket.

I liked Emperor’s Pu-era by Numi but really disliked their Mint Puerh. I could have sworn that I had tried their Chocolate Puerh but apparently I haven’t because there is no note for it.

I love cardamom and recently had a white tea with coconut and cardamom that I liked a lot, so I decided to give this a try. I thought it was going to be sachets but it was teabags. Boo! I sniffed the bag and went MMMMM! at the powerful scent of cardamom followed immediately by UGH at the scent of their Puerh. I love Puerh. This one had a fresh poop smell, not the nice aged barnyard we know and love.

Happily, though, it tastes quite good! And judging by the incredible inky color of the first cup that developed so quickly, I suspect I will get at least two resteeps out of this. All in all, it’s a good tea to have on hand when you want something nice, good for your tummy, and easy as pie to make. Also a great no-hassle tea for work or to throw in a purse or book bag, since the bags are individually wrapped.

Fjellrev

Ha! Totally how I would probably react to the smell of the base.

Very earthy, fishy smell. I did not care for this tea. I added honey and I still did not care for this.

Flavors: Dirt, Earth, Fishy

I must be in the mood for spicy black teas because my next one will be this pu-erh. The cardamom is a light aroma in the steeped liquid compared to the punch of it in the dry tea. The liquid is very dark which I’m glad of. It’s a littler bitter which is surprising to me since I steeped at a lower temperature. Cream and honey make everything right again, as usual.

Flavors: Bitter, Cardamon, Spices