Emperor’s Pu-erh

Tea
Earth, Mineral, Smooth, Sweet, Chocolate, Malt, Wet Earth, Wet Wood, Fishy, Dirt
Edit tea info Last updated by ms.aineecbeland
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 9 oz / 256 ml

From Numi Organic Tea

Numi Tea
www.numitea.com

Emperor’s Pu-erh
Ancient healing tea packed with antioxidants

Soulful Steeping:
Bring regal water to a boil, slowly pour over a bag of Emperor’s Pu-erh. Steep 3-5 minutes. This tea is strong enough to handle milk, yet mild enough to be served alone. For iced tea, steep 2 tea bags, cool and pour over ice.

Ingredients: Organic Black Pu-erh Tea

About Numi Organic Tea View company

I’m back at Tony’s. We’re watching Hell on Wheels. Next up is SNL.

This was one of the first Puerh teas I ever had, along with The Tea Spot’s Bolder Breakfast. Considering that this is in a bag, it’s really not bad, & definitely better than the cherry cough syrup tasting Shu I had a little while ago. It’s a smooth earthy tasting cup, a nice way to start drawing my day to a close.

A review of Emperor’s Pu-erh by Numi Organic Tea

Company: Numi Organic Tea
Tea Name: Emperor’s Pu-erh
Tea Type/Varietal: Pu-erh
Region:
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ tea bag
Liquor Color: dark red; seemingly like that of rich chocolate
Leaf Characteristics:

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes
I am having another of Numi pu-erh tea from the sampler pack that I purchased some time ago. Today it is Emperor’s Pu-erh.

I take the tea bag and put in my cup and I then add the boiled water over the tea bag and leave to steep for five minutes. Whilst pouring the water, the tea water colored a lightest orange/melon color to a darken red…hinting of that rich chocolate aspect pure cocoa’s have, except there is not chocolate or cocoa in this pu-erh.

Tea’s color is a lovely bright red with an earthy aroma; that moisten earth permeates this cup of tea. And when sipping of the tea it is rich and smooth tasting very malty. I had enjoyed this Emperor’s Pu-erh last year and I am happy to find it similarly a good cup of tea.

Overall, this tea is bold, rich and malty.

I’ve only had a couple of Puerh teas, so I’m still getting a feel for them. This is smooth and earthy with a mineral flavor, and a slight sweetness. It makes me think of the polished stones you sometimes see in museum gift shops for rock collections. It’s interesting, but I think I’d rather drink a good black. I have a bunch of samples from the Puerh Beginner’s box that I want to try to see if I’m interested in exploring this type of tea further. I brewed this western style since that’s what the direction on the package were for.

Flavors: Earth, Mineral, Smooth, Sweet

Boiling 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
gmathis

I love that description! (I was a shiny rock collector when I was a kid :)

rosebudmelissa

I liked to look at them, but think I only ever bought one or two. I’m pretty sure I had some hematite and a piece of amethyst since that’s my birthstone.

Slight fishy notes on the nose but they barely come through in the flavor. After drinking this tea for a while, my recommendation if brewing Western style is to do a 30-60 second rinse in 4oz water while agitating the tea bag a bit. This seems to take the storage/fishy notes mostly out of the tea. Has a nice malty, earthy, rainy-day / wet wood taste. Very pleasant. Medium to medium-heavy body. No risk of oversteeping. I recommend full steep time, including agitation. Have not tried multiple steeps but would not be surprised if it could go for at least two 8oz steeps from a tea bag. Boiling or just-off-boiling water is fine. You cannot hit this tea too hard.

Flavor notes are very straight-forward. Not very complex, but simple in a good way. Malty, earthy, wet flavors with maybe touch of chocolate or dark chocolate.

Nice “Qi” as some would say (I use the term just to mean the energy/relaxation/body feeling it generates). Very warming and relaxing, with a bit of caffeine for focus. Balanced.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt, Wet Earth, Wet Wood

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I think it’s a decent introductory tea. It held up well to steeping for about 2 hours while I had a training session this morning and didn’t go off in any way. A smooth cup of tea. Earthy, but not overpowering. Convenient form for travel. 2 yea bags for 15oz. 74.

Flavors: Earth

The bag smells sweet before brewing, but once the water hits the tea there’s this roasted and far more earthy scent that rises. The tea brewed really dark, think chocolate, before I noticed and pulled the bag.

I breathed in the rich scent, stared into the mirror black, and took a sip: nothing much. The tea is mild, except for some malt and a vague smokiness. After finishing the cup I was left with astringency and a lingering memory of a smoky flavor that I don’t much enjoy.

I wanted to try this because of all the health benefits it apparently has. It has a very different fermentation process than other teas. The dry tea didn’t have a strong smell but after steeping, it smelled fishy, which was very odd. Wouldn’t recommend it, but I’m open to trying a different pu-erh tea (maybe a flavored one).

Flavors: Earth, Fishy

THE RUNDOWN
1) Pre-Taste: Ooh so dark at only 3 minutes of brewing. Intense scent, too. Earthy, with a hint of mud. I like that in my pu-erh.
2) First Sip: Delicate and yet so dark. That’s unusual for pu-erh, especially since it was so fragrant post-brew.
3) Second Sip: Much fuller mouth feel and flavor in the second taste. Definitely taste the earthiness more. I wish I had better descriptive words for earthiness. Like its not a forest earthy but a plantation earthy. Maybe a hill or mountaintop?
4) Final Thought: Definitely a richer soil flavor than other bagged pu-erh teas. The final sips made me think of potting soil a bit too. If you like earthy and want the convenience of a bag instead of loose leaf, you may want to try this tea.

Flavors: Dirt, Earth, Wet Earth

Boiling 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Today I’m drinking this with soy milk and masala chai spice. It makes for a lovely cuppa chai.