Beet Cabbage (Savory Teas)

Black Herbal Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by KiwiDelight
Boiling 8 min or more

• “Thank you *QueenOfTarts* for this sample. I have plucked up the courage to try this tea tonight before my husband gets home. It's something I have considered trying even before I received a bag...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 987 tasting notes
  • “I received a tea bag as a sample when I went to the Coffee and Tea Festival. I was disappointed that I didn't get another kind because I don't like beets. Well, I've never actually eaten any, they...” Read full tasting note
    KiwiDelight 42 tasting notes
  • “I got this as a free sample at the Philly Coffee and Tea Fest 2013. I actually was excited to try this. Never saw it before, but I really like Numi teas and Beet Cabbage-I mean, who would of...” Read full tasting note
    Kelci 50 tasting notes
  • “This has been my least favborite of the savory teas I've tried so far. And I actually like beets. This was the least broth of them as well, in that I found it texturally more watery feeling....” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 603 tasting notes

From Numi Organic Tea

A bright crimson hue welcomes you into delightful scents of clove. This smooth buttery blend is rooted with beets and cabbage and delicately spiced with mustard seed and coriander. The finish is accented by sweet notes of apple and decaf black tea.

About Numi Organic Tea View company

Thank you QueenOfTarts for this sample.

I have plucked up the courage to try this tea tonight before my husband gets home. It’s something I have considered trying even before I received a bag of it, I’m more savoury than sweet. But the idea of a cabbage and beetroot tea sounds….well disgusting and criminal.

The teabag smelled like dry cabbage soup mix, it was thick, sour and generally vegetal. It says to place the tea in 10oz (which is roughly 284ml) of boiling water and cover while it steeps for a minimum of 10 minutes. It also states that you can leave the bag in while you drink if you would like it stronger. So far I’m thinking EEEKKK!

The tea soup is now steeped and has turned dark beetroot red in colour. It has a closes eyes smelly sock odour mixed with old stale cabbage.

Well here goes nothing….
Pulls many different faces
Well at least it’s lighter in flavour than it is in scent. The cabbage and beetroot are both firmly present and are of equal strength but there is also a herbal after taste that I am unsure of. It lists mustard seed and coriander and it sort of does taste like dried coriander seeds but I’m not detecting anything mustard like at all.

Alright picture this…
You have steamed some cabbage leaves and have drained the water into a separate container. Then you add dry coriander seeds and shred small pieces of beetroot into this leftover cabbage water and bring to the boil for 10 minutes before serving. If that has you feeling hungry then perhaps this is the tea for you. If you are turning green and feel queezy then you may wish to stay clear of this one.

As for me it’s an experience and I’m thankful to have tried it but this particular flavour is not for me. While I love cabbage (I would eat it everyday if my IBS would let me) I am not overly keen on beetroot of any form. This is a no from me but as an additional note my kitten Sooty is might curious about it’s smell and he keeps charging in for quick sniffs.

Lala

Savory teas always remind me of drinking a cup of soup broth :)

Bonnie

Where does the line get drawn between tea and soup or broth I wonder. If you call it tea, you can charge more for it I suppose.

morebloodytea

This sounds awful.

I received a tea bag as a sample when I went to the Coffee and Tea Festival. I was disappointed that I didn’t get another kind because I don’t like beets. Well, I’ve never actually eaten any, they just look icky. I gave it a try anyway. Why not?

A quick note on the color of the liquor: what a red! The “bright crimson” is such a gorgeous color. While I waited for the tea to cool, I took the time to admire it.

The tea bag smells heavily of the spices. The aroma of the infusion is less intense, with the beets standing out more. Smells like soup. It also tastes like soup, albeit watery soup (obviously). The flavor is full-bodied and strong, but not overtly so, and the beets and spices are well-balanced. Also, good combination of spices. What I like most about the flavor is that it leaves a long-lasting aftertaste.

This tea is appropriately “savory.” I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Makes me want to try the others. Yay coupons!

Stephanie

Beets are tasty! You should try them :) I prefer them roasted and then chilled and put in a salad…

KiwiDelight

One day I’ll have the courage to try them. These days I find myself liking foods that I hated as a kid.

Kittenna

Haha, I can’t help but wrinkle my nose at the sound of this.

KiwiDelight

The idea of a beet tea goes against the grain, doesn’t it?

Ellyn

I loved the other savory tea that I tried (broccoli cilantro) I have the combo box and can’t wait to try the other ones!

KiwiDelight

I await your review for this one :D

I got this as a free sample at the Philly Coffee and Tea Fest 2013. I actually was excited to try this. Never saw it before, but I really like Numi teas and Beet Cabbage-I mean, who would of thought. Said to let steep for 10 mins-which I did. It had a red color to it, but it wasn’t as red as you would think being beets are in the name. I think the black tea mellowed out the red. I could smell the beet and cabbage as well as the black tea. Tasted all three as well. The cabbage was distinct, I think you have to like cabbage, to like this. All in all, I would drink again. Think I would try the tomato one first. I actually have the spinach chive, which I am going to try tomorrow. This is just what it says it is, tea with veggie taste added, so don’t read into more than that-it is what it is!

This has been my least favborite of the savory teas I’ve tried so far. And I actually like beets.

This was the least broth of them as well, in that I found it texturally more watery feeling. There’s definitely an element of cabbage, while the beet and apple lend a sweetness to the cup. I think you have to like cabbage for this one, and I just don’t care for cooked cabbage of any kind really. It’s definitely savory and the spices work well with what’s here, though.

But man does this brew up a gorgeous scarlet color.

TheKesser

I have never heard of a Beet Cabbage flavoured tea before! How peculiar!