Tomato Mint Savory Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by Kaylee

• “I've been wanting to try these savory teas for near forever now. Our normal grocery store doesn't carry them, so I didn't have much hope, but the store near Fiance's parents' house did. So here we...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 598 tasting notes
  • “I've wanted to try these teas *forever*. I love tomato so I thought I'd try this one first. The aroma is very soup like. The flavor is actually pretty good. I can taste tomato, a touch of mint, and...” Read full tasting note
    kalmal 746 tasting notes
  • “I was quite pleased to receive a sample of this at the Coffee & Tea Festival. I am really intrigued by this new Savory Tea line. I don’t know what to expect. Will it basically be a light soup? ...” Read full tasting note
    Kaylee 312 tasting notes
  • “I had a bad experience with the Broccoli and Cilantro tisane so I tried very hard to approach this one- Tomato Mint- with a cleared palette and open mind. The aroma is interesting and didn't...” Read full tasting note
    VeryPisces 53 tasting notes

From Numi Organic Tea

This bright Mediterranean infusion is reminiscent of the sweet savory scent of stuffed grape leaves (dolmas). The combination of tomatoes, mint leaves, decaf black tea, a touch of cinnamon and lemon peel make for a zesty, mouthwatering cup.

About Numi Organic Tea View company

I’ve been wanting to try these savory teas for near forever now. Our normal grocery store doesn’t carry them, so I didn’t have much hope, but the store near Fiance’s parents’ house did. So here we are!

I got the sampler with all six flavors and this once sounded the least weird, so it’s where I started. But it was still weird. Good weird. But weird.

On the front of of the sip is a salt and delicate pepper flavor, mingling with a brothy tomato with a little bit of lemon brightness. Then the mint hits somewhere in the middle and is pleasingly balanced with the other flavors. The tail of the sip is more straight on pepper and just a little bit of lemon.

This is so much like drinking soup, but it’s not nearly thick enough to even feel like a broth. I really enjoyed it, but I cannot emphasize enough how weird this is.

__Morgana__

If this is the least weird I can’t wait it hear about the others!

music27note

Remind me to bring over my lemon basil oolong next time I see you. I think that one is my introduction to savory tea :)

moraiwe

From Fava? I actually have some here!

music27note

Yes from Fava, I should have assumed you did XD

I’ve wanted to try these teas forever. I love tomato so I thought I’d try this one first. The aroma is very soup like. The flavor is actually pretty good. I can taste tomato, a touch of mint, and a touch of lemon. There is a nice peppery zest in the aftertaste. It kind of has a creamy quality to it reminding me of tomato soup but with a lot more spice. Surprisingly, I really like this tea.

Ze_Teamaker

That is one tea that perplexes me.

KallieBoo!

Haha me too. But it’s surprisingly good. It’s like a spicy tomato soup :]

Peggie Bennett

I just saw these at the store, I’m very intrigued by these! I might have to go back and get some!

I was quite pleased to receive a sample of this at the Coffee & Tea Festival. I am really intrigued by this new Savory Tea line. I don’t know what to expect. Will it basically be a light soup? A flavored tea with prominent notes of vegetable and spice?

It smells like minty tomato soup. The tomato smell is strong and spicy. It tastes like a very light tomato broth, with an aftertaste of mint. After a few sips, the aftertaste becomes more peppery. I originally brewed this in boiling water for 10 minutes, per package instructions. Putting the teabag back into the mug to see what happens if I brew it longer…

Brewed longer, pepper and lemon flavors come forward. This is an interesting drink. There is a black tea base, but I can’t taste it at all. I’m not sure this should properly be categorized as tea at all. Yet it’s too thin for a broth. I still don’t know what to make of it. This might be put to best use in cooking – I think rice especially would take kindly to it.

As a drink, I’m not really enjoying this. I am not going to rate it because I can’t even figure out what standards to apply. I doubt I’ll be drinking it again, though.

The aroma is interesting and didn’t pummel my nose like the aforementioned. I could definitely detect the mint aroma beneath the tomato-ishness. Tomatoes have a mild aroma, so Numi did a good job controlling the stronger mint.

The flavor? Vegetable-broth with a slight tang on the tongue. Its not horrible, and I don’t feel inclined to put ramen noodles in it (although you totally could).

You know what this is good for? Fasting. It makes me feel almost like I’ve had a meal. You get 5 calories and 25% of your RDA of calcium. There, I’ve found its niche in my life.

Thanks, Nicole_Martin, for sample of this tea!
Cold day to enjoy something like this.
Tastes like a tomato broth.
I feel like Andy Worhol drinking this tea on my lunch break.
According to the packaging, everything is organic.
No need for sugar or milk.
Reminds me of my Dad who drank Sacramento Tomato Juice everyday and stained the glassware.
I liked the taste.
If you like the taste of Sacramento Tomato Juice, vegetable soups, V8 Juice, Campbell tomato soup or just eating a tomato raw, this might good for you.

Bonnie

Funny as soon as I saw the words ‘Sacramento Tomato Juice’ I pictured the two lane backroad I used to drive from Sacramento to Chico during the tomato harvest. The journey was lined with what I called ‘road kill’ because so many tomatoes fell off the trucks.